Coming to the end of fall and thought a nice lentil stew was in order. I happen to have all these ingredients on hand and decided to put them all together. Glad I did because it was a delicious success!
Since then, I’ve served this a couple ways. One way was over a bed of rice. Next, was in a bowl all by itself. Lastly, I combined the leftover rice and stew together creating another wonderful way to enjoy leftovers.
I topped my leftover stew with sliced avocado, which I highly recommend doing. Avocado is such a nice addition to just about any dish!
All the ways I served this lentil stew was hearty and filling, while being full of wholesome nutrition. This recipe is so easy to put together too and will be ready in under an hour.
I do have a few spices here which include ginger, red pepper flakes, turmeric, curry and cumin. Feel free to simplify by just using curry and maybe another spice or two. You can still pull off a flavorful lentil stew with simply using curry alone as well. As with all recipes, adjust spices to taste adding anything more or less to your liking.Print
CURRY RED LENTIL STEW WITH KALE & CHICKPEAS
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 – 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1 – 2 tablespoons curry, to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- himalayan salt to taste
- 1 tablespoons red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 can (15 oz) fire roasted tomatoes or two cups fresh tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups dry red lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 1 1/2 cups cooked garbanzo beans or 1 can (15 oz) garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 cups water or vegetable broth, + more as needed
- 3 cups kale, julienned
- juice of one lemon, optional
- cooked basmati, brown or jasmine rice, as much as needed
In large pot or stock pot, heat your oil over medium heat, saute onion and garlic until onion becomes transparent. Add spices, tomatoes, lentils, garbanzo beans and 6 cups of liquids, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes. Add in the kale and optional lemon juice, continue to cook for 10 minutes or until kale softens and wilts.
Serve alone, over rice or grain of choice. Enjoy!