Chocolate and cherries, a classic combination of pure deliciousness!
Sweet cherries and cacao blended with almond milk come together creating this healthy, rich and flavorful smoothie. It may even leave you feeling happier and energized.
I always find after having cacao in my smoothie that I get a bit happier and more energized. It’s the mood boosting ‘feel good’ endorphins from the cacao kicking in. This smoothie is a heart-smart way to staying happy and healthy, and I know you’re going to love it!
This recipe has been sitting in wait. A few weeks ago, there was a sale on frozen fruits and I bought a few bags of frozen cherries. They’ve been waiting patiently in the freezer for me to find the right time to put them to good use and it finally happened!
It seemed like the perfect time with all the cooking I’ve been doing lately. The last few weeks I’ve been triumphantly trying to update older posts and felt the need for something lighter. Not to mention, the temperatures here are rising and a nice, cold smoothie is the best distraction!
How to make this smoothie fit your needs:
- We’ll be using frozen cherries but you can use fresh cherries if you like, just add a frozen banana or 1/2 cup of ice cubes to make everything chilly.
- I used unsweetened almond milk, but you can use your favorite non-dairy milk.
- For an ultra-decadent treat, try using light coconut milk from the can.
- Add in a scoop of protein powder or a serving of almond butter for added nutrition.
- You’ll notice I didn’t serve my smoothie with a straw but instead used a big spoon, it was thick enough to scoop up. Plus, I wanted to scoop the toppings with each spoonful. And of course, I added more granola before finishing it off. There is no wrong way to get your smoothie from point A to point B. :)
However you end up making yours, enjoy every last sip, or spoonful!Print
CHOCOLATE CHERRY SMOOTHIE
A little something to sweeten your day and boost your mood!
- 2 cups frozen cherries
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder (cocoa powder is ok too)
- 1 small medjool date (pitted and chopped) or 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup, optional
- 1 scoop protein powder (plain or vanilla) or 2 tablespoons almond butter, optional
- cacao nibs
- hemp hearts
In blender, add ingredients and blend until smooth, adding a little extra milk as needed.
Serve with optional toppings and eat with a spoon or sip with a straw. Enjoy often!
Makes 1 generous, or 2 small, servings.
If using fresh cherries, add 1/2 cup of ice or 1 frozen banana and reduce the cherries to 1 1/2 cups. Start with only 1/2 cup of milk, adding more milk as needed.
Want to make this super decadent, try using light coconut milk from the can!
Make this raw by using water or homemade almond milk.