Healthy Apple Baked Oatmeal with cinnamon, nutmeg, and walnuts is full of flavor, texture and makes the best cozy breakfast the whole family will love! Gluten free and WFPB recipe.
Apples and oatmeal are the best! Two of my favorite ingredients are baked together and served up warm topped off with a splash of almond milk and sliced fresh fruit for a healthy and hearty breakfast.
Apples are a daily occurrence in my home. I eat one almost every day sliced and topped on toast with almond butter, cinnamon, and vanilla bean powder.
I also have a thing for baked apples and love how they cook up soft and tender, adding texture and sweetness to the overall recipe. They are a perfect addition to baked oatmeal!
When you’re looking for a baked oatmeal with apple, this recipe is a sure thing and I know you’ll love it as much as we do!
If you love oatmeal, be sure to check out this Pumpkin Oatmeal, easy Overnight Steel-Cut Oatmeal, Healthy Cinnamon Oatmeal, favorite Everyday Oatmeal, or Apple-Cinnamon Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies. They are all delicious!
So without further ado, let’s get baking!
Apple Baked Oatmeal Ingredients
I wanted to keep the recipe as simple as possible. Use your best judgement as to what to add or remove. Adding sweetener is optional. You may find you really don’t need it, especially because of the apple and optional banana. But if your favorite apple is a tart one you may consider adding the sweetener to balance the tartness.
Here is everything you will need:
- Oats – Old-fashioned rolled oats are best, and I don’t recommend using quick oats with this recipe.
- Apple – Use your favorite, red or green. I used Honey Crisp here, but have used Fuji and Granny Smith with great results.
- Banana – This can be optional, but if you have one hand, mash it up and stir it in. Or substitute with unsweetened applesauce.
- Unsweetened plant milk – I used oat milk, but almond, cashew, or soy are also good. Use your favorite.
- Pure maple syrup – Can sub with coconut sugar, date sugar, pure cane sugar, or monk fruit sweetener.
- Walnuts – Can sub with almond or pecans
- Cinnamon + nutmeg
- Baking powder – Can omit if needed
- Salt – Just a pinch of mineral or sea salt will do
How To Make Apple Baked Oatmeal
Here you will find a few of the steps with photos to reference while making your baked oatmeal. Note, the full printable recipe is at the bottom of this post in the recipe card.
- Mix dry ingredients. Start by adding the oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt to the bottom of an 8 x 8 baking dish and mix to combine.
- Whisk in wet ingredients. To the dry ingredients, add the milk, maple syrup, vanilla, and optional banana, mixing well.
- Add apples + walnuts. Once dry and wet ingredients are combined, top with the apples and walnuts.
- Bake. Place in preheated oven set to 350 degrees F. on the center rack, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve. Once slightly cooled, slice and serve with a splash of almond milk, apple slices and a drizzle of pure maple syrup. Cheers to a heart-healthy way to start your day!
- Add mashed banana or applesauce for sweetness. Not only does adding banana or applesauce add extra nutrition, but it may add enough sweetness so you can omit the maple syrup. Test it, and if it’s not sweet enough, add a drizzle of syrup to your serving.
- Grease the sides of the baking dish with oil. I don’t usually find the need to do this, but if you have trouble with the baked oatmeal sticking to the sides of the baking dish, lightly grease the sides with oil.
How To Store + Reheat
- Refrigerator: Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 4 – 5 days.
- Freezer: Apple-baked oatmeal will keep in the freezer for up to 2 – 3 months. To freeze, let cool completely, cut into serving sizes, and place slices of baked oatmeal in freezer-safe containers or baggies, with a piece of parchment paper between the slices.
- Reheat: To reheat, microwave single oatmeal slices for 30 – 45 seconds.
More Easy Breakfast Recipes
- Simple Tofu Scramble
- Crispy Breakfast Potatoes
- Vegan Buttermilk Biscuits + Country Gravy
- Best Vegan Pancakes
- Easy 5 Ingredient Vegan Waffles
If you try this baked oatmeal recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
HEALTHY BAKED APPLE OATMEAL
Baked oatmeal with tender apples, cinnamon, and naturally sweetened with maple syrup is full of fiber and deliciously healthy! It’s a great way to start your day!
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4 – 6 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of mineral salt
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup mashed banana or unsweetened applesauce, optional
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup, optional
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 medium apple, use your favorite (I used Fuji), cored and diced
- 1/2 – 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- sliced apple
- pure maple syrup
- unsweetened almond milk
- unsweetened toasted coconut flakes (it’s delicious!)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease your baking dish with coconut oil if you like (generally I skip this step).
Mix: In an 8 × 8 baking dish, add oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and salt, mix well. Add in the milk, banana, optional syrup and vanilla, gently whisk to combine. Top with chopped apples and walnuts, mix them in if you like.
Bake: Place in the oven on the middle rack and bake for 30 minutes. Once done, let cool slightly.
Serve: Slice and serve warm in individual bowls with toppings of choice. Voila’….enjoy this most delicious and worth the wait oatmeal!
Serves 4 – 6
If you like, add the spices to the mashed banana, mixing well, to ensure even distribution of the spices. (see comments)
If using bananas that are not overly ripe or you’re using a tart apple, you may like to add 1/4 cup of pure maple syrup to the mixture when adding the milk and other wet ingredients. Or simply add extra maple syrup when serving.
If you don’t have an 8 × 8 baking dish, a 9 × 9 will work too. Dish can be round or square.
I don’t tend to grease my baking dish when making baked oatmeal. I’ve never had a problem with sticking, but feel free to lightly grease yours if you prefer.
Nutritional values are estimates only. See our full nutrition disclosure here.
Updated: Healthy Apple Baked Oatmeal was originally published in March 2016. It has been retested and updated with new photos and helpful tips in September 2020.