My favorite homemade hummus is thick, creamy, and ready in 5 minutes. It’s super easy to make, customizable, gluten free and full of flavor!
I love hummus and eat it often. I’ve bought it for years, but have now gotten into the habit of making it myself since it’s so quick and easy. All you need are a few basics and you’re ready to make the best hummus ever!
A basic chickpea hummus recipe is handy to have on hand and is so healthy and versatile. It can be used as a dip for vegetables, served with crackers, pita chips or bread.
I even love it as a binder in places you might use mayo type products, like this Mediterranean Mashed Chickpea Salad.
How To Make Hummus
- Add the chickpeas, tahini, garlic, lemon, cumin and salt to the bowl of a food processor.
- Blend until creamy, about 3 – 4 minutes, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
- Taste for flavor, adding anything else it might need. More salt, lemon, garlic or tahini?
And that’s it – creamy, delicious and ready in 5 minutes!
How To Store
- Refrigerator: Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 – 6 days.
- Freezer: Hummus can be kept in the freezer for up to 2 months in airtight, freezer safe containers. When storing be sure to leave about ½ inch air space since the it will expand a little in the freezer. Let thaw in the fridge before using.
Hummus is so versatile and can be used for dipping, spreading or binding. Here a few of my favorite options:
- Garnish: Top with various toppings like a few chickpeas, pine nuts, parsley, paprika, za’atar, cumin or drizzle of olive oil. Use whatever combination sounds good!
- Sandwiches: Use it as a spread for sandwiches, like this Grilled Hummus Sandwich or Red Pepper, Hummus & Avocado Sandwich, or in wraps like this Hummus Veggie Wrap.
- Binder: I even love it as a binder in places you might use mayo type products, like this Mediterranean Mashed Chickpea Salad.
- Dip: Scoop it up with fresh veggie sticks, tortilla chips, pita chips or crackers!
If you try this easy condiment recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
BEST HUMMUS RECIPE
An authentic style hummus recipe, perfect for dipping and spreading! Can be made with our without tahini, and ready in about 5 minutes!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 15 min
- Yield: Makes 1 ½ cups 1x
- Category: Condiment
- Method: food processor
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 can (15oz) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed or 1 ½ cups cooked
- 4 tablespoons tahini
- ¼ cup water (+ 2 tablespoons as needed)
- 1 – 2 garlic cloves or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- juice of 1 or 2 lemons, to taste
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon roasted pine nuts, optional
- generous pinch of himalayan salt, or to taste
Place all ingredients in food processor and blend until desired consistency. Taste for flavor adding anything here and there that you like….garlic, lemon, salt, cumin.
Depending on the size of your lemons or how many you used, you may like to add the extra 2 tablespoons of water for slightly thinner consistency.
Serve with toppings of choice or plain. I have garnished here with chickpeas, sesame seeds, chopped parsley, a drizzle of olive oil and a dash of smoked paprika.
Store in airtight container in refrigerator for up to one week or so.
You can use 2 tablespoon tahini + 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil if you like. Alternately, use all olive oil, omitting the tahini all together and still have a great hummus. Keep in mind the olive oil will slightly color the hummus, but not in a bad way.
For ultra creamy hummus, peel the chickpeas before blending.