My favorite homemade hummus is thick, creamy, and ready in 5 minutes. This easy hummus recipe is customizable, gluten free and full of flavor!
I love hummus and eat it often. I’ve bought it for years, but have now gotten into the habit of making it myself since it’s so quick and easy. All you need are a few basics and you’re ready to make the best hummus ever!
A basic chickpea hummus recipe is handy to have on hand and is so healthy and versatile. It can be used as a dip for vegetables, served with crackers, pita chips or bread.
I even love it as a binder in places you might use mayo type products, like this Mediterranean Mashed Chickpea Salad.
Tips For The Best Hummus
I like my hummus in different consistencies depending on what I’m using it for.
- For spreads, I like it a little thinner and juicier. If you find you are the same, add a little water to whatever portion you’ll be using.
- For dips, I prefer it on the thicker side and keep the recipe as is.
This hummus recipe is customizable and can be made with or without tahini. If making without tahini, replace the tahini with a good quality extra virgin olive oil. Alternately, you can use half oil and half tahini. Feel free to vary it up for your dietary needs.
For an ultra creamy hummus, remove the skins from the chickpeas! By gently squeezing the chickpeas between your thumb and forefinger, pushing it up, the skin will gently peel off. The skins do add a fair amount of fiber, but removing them will yield a wonderful creamy hummus.
How To Make Hummus
- To make hummus, add the chickpeas, tahini, garlic, lemon, cumin and salt to the bowl of a food processor.
- Blend until creamy, about 3 – 4 minutes, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
- Taste for flavor, adding anything else it might need. More salt, lemon, garlic or tahini?
And that’s it, creamy, delicious homemade hummus ready in 5 minutes!
Garnish with various toppings like a few chickpeas, pine nuts, parsley, paprika, za’atar, cumin or drizzle of olive oil. Use whatever combination sounds good!
If you try this hummus recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
BEST HUMMUS RECIPE
An authentic style hummus recipe, perfect for dipping and spreading! Can be made with our without tahini, and ready in about 5 minutes!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 15 min
- Yield: Makes 1 1/2 cup 1x
- Category: Condiment, Snack
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1 can (15oz) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed or 1 1/2 cups cooked
- 4 tablespoons tahini
- 1/4 cup water (+ 2 tablespoons as needed)
- 1 – 2 garlic cloves or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- juice of 1 or 2 lemons, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon roasted pine nuts, optional
- generous pinch of himalayan salt, or to taste
Place all ingredients in food processor and blend until desired consistency. Taste for flavor adding anything here and there that you like….garlic, lemon, salt, cumin.
Depending on the size of your lemons or how many you used, you may like to add the extra 2 tablespoons of water for slightly thinner consistency.
Serve with toppings of choice or plain. I have garnished here with chickpeas, sesame seeds, chopped parsley, a drizzle of olive oil and a dash of smoked paprika.
Store in airtight container in refrigerator for up to one week or so.
You can use 2 tablespoon tahini + 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil if you like. Alternately, use all olive oil, omitting the tahini all together and still have a great hummus. Keep in mind the olive oil will slightly color the hummus, but not in a bad way.
For ultra creamy hummus, peel the chickpeas before blending.