House Salad with zesty apple cider vinaigrette is a crisp, fresh and healthy side salad that can double as a hearty main salad perfect for lunch or dinner!
I absolutely love a good fresh salad – a few of my favorites include this Vegan Caesar Salad, Strawberry Spinach Salad, Vegan Cobb Salad, and Green Salad. I’ve yet to add an everyday house salad to the recipe collection, until now!
This classic house salad is an everyday favorite and perfect with just about any type of meal. It’s versatile enough to serve with soup, pasta, burgers, sandwiches, etc., adding extra fiber and freshness to meals!
And it’s just as great served as a main salad for one or two. I know I thoroughly enjoyed this salad all by myself for a late lunch, early dinner!
What makes this American house salad especially delicious is the simple, lip smacking apple cider vinaigrette. It adds a nice punch of zestiness along with the healthy benefits that apple cider vinegar offers. Plus, it’s super quick and easy to make!
So when you’re looking for a simple, everyday salad, you can bet this will be a perfect addition to your meal rotation and a favorite for years to come!
Ingredients You’ll Need
In this house salad recipe, romaine, carrots, cucumber, tomatoes, red onion and crunchy croutons are dressed with a simple and delicious apple cider vinaigrette for an easy, everyday side salad.
Here is everything you will need:
- leafy greens – I used romaine, but you can switch it up with butter lettuce, iceberg, spring mix, or baby spinach.
- carrots – use pre-shredded for ease, or quarter baby carrots for quick matchsticks.
- cucumber – thinly sliced, cut slices in half or quarter them for smaller pieces.
- tomatoes – slice in half, or if using larger tomatoes cut into wedges or quarters.
- red onion – shallots would be great too.
- croutons – seek out vegan croutons (I used Simply Organic brand that contains no dairy).
- dressing – the dressing is a simple mix of apple cider vinegar, olive oil, dijon, garlic, salt + pepper.
How to Make House Salad
(Note – The full printable recipe is at the bottom of this post)
- Make the vinaigrette by whisking together the apple cider vinegar, olive oil, garlic, dijon and salt and pepper in small bowl or glass container.
- Chop and slice the romaine, cucumbers, tomatoes and whatever else needs prepping.
- Add the romaine into a large mixing bowl, top with cucumbers, carrots, red onion and croutons.
- Pour the dressing overtop and toss to mix.
And now you’re ready to enjoy!
Split the salad up as a side salad for 4 – 6, or serve as a big, hearty salad for two!
This house salad is super versatile and can be served with a variety of main dishes and optional toppings, making it a great everyday salad. Here are a few of my favorite options:
- Toppings: Top with Coconut Bacon, Crispy Roasted Chickpeas, sliced avocado, or Almond Parmesan for variation.
- Soups: Serve as a side salad with Tomato Basil Soup, Lemon Rosemary White Bean Soup, Vegan Lentil Soup or Vegan Potato Leek Soup.
- Sandwiches: Serve with Vegan ‘Egg’ Salad Sandwich, Favorite Summer Sandwich, Chickpea of the Sea Vegan Tuna Sandwich or Grilled Hummus Sandwich + Sauteed Onion, Tomato & Arugula.
- Pasta: Pair with Vegan Baked Ziti, Vegan Vegetable Lasagna, Quick + Easy Vegetable Pasta, or Creamy Broccoli Pasta.
- Main Dish: Pair with this Ultimate Vegetable Lentil Loaf or Smoky Black Bean Burgers or Vegetable Paella.
- Bread: Serve with a slice of homemade Artisan Bread, Vegan Naan or gluten-free Socca.
More Easy Salad Recipes
- Sweet Corn + Arugula Salad
- Southwest Chickpea Salad
- Radish + Cucumber Salad
- Apple, Beet, Carrot + Kale Salad
- Everyday Detox Salad
If you try this house salad recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
HOUSE SALAD + APPLE CIDER VINAIGRETTE
This crisp, fresh Classic House Salad is the BEST! Paired with a lip-smacking apple cider vinaigrette it’s a versatile healthy side salad or main meal!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4 - 6 1x
- Category: Side, Salad
- Method: mix
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 2 heads romaine (about 6 – 8 cups), chopped
- 3/4 cup croutons
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/4 red onion, sliced
- handful cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (pref. Bragg’s raw)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (see notes)
- 1 – 2 teaspoons dijon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon salt + pepper
Vinaigrette: In a small bowl or glass jar, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, olive oil, dijon, garlic and salt + pepper. Season to taste.
Assemble Salad: In a large serving bowl, fill with romaine (or leafy greens of choice), top with carrots, onion, cucumber and croutons. Drizzle the dressing overtop and toss to combine.
Serves 4 – 6 small sides, or 1 – 2 as a main meal.
Serve in individual bowls. For more texture and flavor, top with Coconut Bacon, Crispy Roasted Chickpeas or Almond Parmesan for variation. A sprinkle of pepitas, sunflower seeds or hemp seeds would be great too!
Store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 – 3 days. If making for meal prep, it might be best to store the salad and dressing separately until ready to serve.
This is just a template, use as much (or little) as you like of the produce.
Sweeten the dressing or make it creamy. Try adding 1 tablespoon of pure maple syrup for a little sweetness. And for creaminess, try adding 1 teaspoon or so of tahini.
Oil-free: Use water, or half lemon juice and water, to make the dressing oil-free.
Keywords: house salad, house salad recipe