CHICKPEA ‘EGG’ SALAD SANDWICH
The best Chickpea ‘Egg’ Salad is perfect for sandwiches, wraps, or scooping with crackers for a healthy and filling vegan lunch, dinner or meal prep! Quick + easy recipe.
Meet the great classic chickpea ‘egg’ salad! It’s perfect for sandwiches and wraps, scooped up with veggie sticks or crackers, or eaten straight from the bowl.
You may be familiar with this Vegan ‘Egg’ Salad from the recipe collection. It’s made with tofu and is pretty darn good too!
But I wanted to have a soy free, plant-based version, and chickpeas are the perfect substitute once mashed and mixed with all the delicious flavors and textures in this recipe!
I’ve made this quick and easy chickpea egg salad sandwich plenty of times over the years and never tire of it! It’s super easy to make and can easily be doubled for extra.
It has the same mouthfeel and texture as the other egg salad, and is a great WFPB version that I think you’re going to love as much as we do!
So without further ado, let’s make this chickpea ‘egg’ salad!
Ingredients You’ll Need
This chickpea egg salad is easily customizable, giving you options to sub ingredients when needed. If you don’t care for an ingredient, feel free to omit it, and you’ll still have a great mock egg salad!
Here is everything you will need, plus substitution ideas:
- Chickpeas – used canned or fresh cooked
- Celery – adds a cooling crunch, but can be omitted
- Red onion – sub with green onion, chives, shallot or white onion
- Pickles – use sweet pickle relish or dill, or dice up a pickle, or simply omit
- Vegan mayo – store bought or make homemade Easy Vegan Mayo
- Dijon – can sub with whole grain, brown or regular
- Dill – fresh is best, but dried it ok too, adjust to taste (can be omitted)
- Onion + garlic powder – adds a nice flavor boost for good measure
- Turmeric – gives the egg salad a golden hue, can be omitted for an egg white salad
- Salt – use regular salt or for a sulphur, eggy flavor use black salt, aka Kala Namak (affiliate link), is just what you need!
How To Make Chickpea Egg Salad
- Mash the chickpeas. Roughly mash the chickpeas with the back of a strong fork, potato masher or pastry blender. The better you mash them, the better they will hold together.
- Add remaining ingredients. To the chickpeas, add celery, red onion, sweet or dill pickles or relish, vegan mayo, dijon, garlic + onion powder, turmeric, and salt (shown above). Feel free to add a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Mix to combine. As you can see above what it will look like when it’s mixed and ready to use.
- If making sandwiches, spread on sandwich bread layered with leafy greens, slice in half and enjoy!
And that’s all it takes to make a darn good mock egg salad using chickpeas and a little creativity!
So bon appetit, and eat more chickpeas!
How To Store + Meal Prep
- Refrigerator: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 – 6 days, in a tightly covered container. Give a good stir before serving.
- Freezer: Freezing is not recommended. It’s best to make as needed, using it within a week.
- Meal Prep: Make this salad ahead, or assemble sandwiches, and keep stored in a to-go container or bento box for a quick grab-n-go meal.
This easy, vegan egg salad is so versatile and can be used in a variety of ways. Here are a few of my favorite options:
- Sandwiches: Serve with leafy greens and your favorite bread as shown in the pictures. It would be great with this homemade Artisan Bread.
- Lettuce wraps: If you don’t want to use bread, make lettuce wraps using romaine, bibb, boston, or other cup type of leafy greens you prefer. Top with cherry tomatoes, sliced radish or more pickles if you like!
- Salad: You can even chop up leafy greens, adding a scoop of chickpea egg salad overtop for a delicious salad. It would be great with sliced cherry tomatoes, radish or pickles on the side.
- Platter: This would be great as a platter with crackers and fresh veggies for scooping!
More Chickpea Mash Recipes
For more flavors and variations on this quick and easy chickpea salad, take a look at these other delicious variations!
- Cranberry Walnut Vegan ‘Chicken’ Salad Sandwich
- Mashed Chickpea & Avocado Salad Sandwich
- Sonoma Chickpea ‘Chicken’ Salad
- ‘Chickpea of the Sea’ Vegan Tuna Salad Sandwich
- Curried Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- Mediterranean Smashed Chickpea Salad
If you try this chickpea egg salad recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
CHICKPEA ‘EGG’ SALAD SANDWICH
Full of protein, fiber and flavor, this hearty mashed chickpea ‘egg’ salad is a keeper! Make sandwiches, lettuce or tortilla wraps, scoop up with veggie sticks or eat it straight from the bowl! Recipe can easily be doubled.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 15 min
- Yield: Serves 2 - 3 1x
- Category: Entree
- Method: mash, mix
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
Chickpea Egg Salad
- 1 can (14oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 1 1/2 cup fresh cooked)
- 3 tablespoons red onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons celery, finely chopped
- 1 – 2 tablespoons diced pickles or relish (sweet or dill)
- 1/4 cup cup vegan mayo
- 1 tablespoon dijon
- 1/2 teaspoon EACH garlic + onion powder, can be optional
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon fresh dill (or 1/4 – 1/2 tsp dried)
- salt, to taste (use kala namak for eggy, sulfur flavor)
- multi-grain bread
- leafy greens
Mash the chickpeas. Roughly mash the chickpeas with the back of a strong fork, potato masher or pastry blender. The better you mash them, the better they will hold together.
Add remaining ingredients. To the chickpeas, add celery, red onion, sweet or dill pickles or relish, vegan mayo, dijon, garlic + onion powder, turmeric, and salt (shown above). Feel free to add a squeeze of lemon juice.
Mix to combine. As you can see above what it will look like when it’s mixed and ready to use.
If making sandwiches, layer a slice of bread with leafy greens, spread ‘egg’ salad on top of leafy greens and top with other half of sandwich bread, slice in half and enjoy!
Easy and delicious!
Salad serves 2 – 3
Store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 – 6 day.
Lettuce wraps: If you don’t want to use bread, make lettuce wraps using romaine, bibb, boston, or other cup type of leafy greens you prefer. Top with cherry tomatoes, sliced radish or more pickles if you like!
Salad: You can even chop up leafy greens, adding a scoop of chickpea egg salad overtop for a delicious salad. It would be great with sliced cherry tomatoes, radish or pickles on the side.
Platter: This would be great as a platter with crackers and fresh veggies for scooping!
Nutritional values are estimates only. See our full nutrition disclosure here.
Updated: Chickpea Egg Salad Sandwich was originally published in September 2013. It has been retested and updated with new photos in June 2020.
FOLLOW TSV on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest or RSS for more updates and inspiration!
So yum! I had this in some homemade focaccia, delicious
This is my go to when I am feeding vegan’s and non vegan’s. Perfect as is, the black salt makes it!!!! Thanks
Very good. I added some slivered almonds to it for texture
Delish! I couldn’t find my old recipe and used this one. I did remember that the other called for regular old bright yellow French’s mustard, and it really is perfect for this!
This the second time I have made this recipe. Thought I had lost it and now printed it out. Love it! Will also try just making it into a salad.
I make this all the time! No one has ever ‘not’ liked it, even my fussy eaters. I omit the pickles though, just personal taste. Fantastic go to food 👍