Healthy baked beans made with simple ingredients right in your Instant Pot. No fuss recipe, just let the beans soak a bit, throw the ingredients in and life made easy & delicious!
Soak the beans first (see notes for NO-SOAK): Add the beans to a large pot (or instant pot or slow cooker insert), pick through and discard any odd shaped or colored beans. Fill the pot with water, adding enough to cover the beans with an inch of water. Let soak on the counter for 8 hours, or overnight. You can also let the beans soak in the refrigerator if temperatures are high.
Alternately, if you’re in a hurry, place beans in pot and cover with 2 inches of water, bring to a boil, remove from heat and let soak for 1 hour. Drain beans before using.
- Press the SAUTE setting on your Instant Pot and add 1/4 cup water. When hot, add onion and saute for 4 minutes. Add the smoked paprika and garlic powder, cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant, stirring frequently.
- Next add the beans, water/broth, tomato paste, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, mustard, bay leaves, ground pepper and salt, gently stir until the tomato paste is dissolved completely and everything is well combined.
- Attach the lid, and make sure the vent is in the SEALED position. Push the PRESSURE COOKER button, and manually set the time for 40 minutes. When done, let the steam vent on it’s own, takes about 20 minutes. Move the vent to open, careful not to burn yourself as there may still be a little steam left. Remove lid and let cool a bit, add salt to taste. Remove bay leaves and transfer beans to a serving dish.
- Beans will thicken once cooled. If too thick, add a 2 tablespoons of water at a time, mix well, and repeat until desired consistency.
- In bottom of slow cooker, add the onion, beans, maple syrup, vinegar, 3 cups water/broth, tomato paste, smoked paprika, garlic powder, mustard, pepper, and bay leaves. Gently stir, until the tomato paste has broken up and dissolved.
- Cook on HIGH for 4 – 5 hours or LOW for 8 – 10 hours. Add salt to taste.
Store: Keep leftovers in and airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. These freeze wonderfully, and will keep for up to 2 months in the freezer. Thaw before reheating.
Serves 6 – 8
NO-SOAK BEANS METHOD:
- Instant Pot: If you don’t care to soak the beans, simply skip the soaking and go straight to the instant pot instructions. The only change is in step 3 – manually set the time for 75 minutes, instead of 40 minutes.
- Slow-Cooker: Follow assembly instructions for slow cooker method and cook un-soaked beans and ingredients on HIGH for 8 – 10 hours.
Use your favorite mustard. I used whole grain mustard here. I didn’t test regular or dijon, but I’m sure they’ll be great too. If you try them let us know in the comments.
These baked beans are not overly sweet. If you prefer sweet baked beans, add and extra 2 – 3 tablespoons of maple syrup.
Optional add-ins for variation:
- Small jalapeno, diced (add a few seeds for extra heat)
- Small green pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons blackstrap molasses (unsulfered)
If using blackstrap molasses, add 2 extra tablespoons of maple syrup. You most likely won’t need to add any salt.