Curry Red Lentil Stew features tender lentils, tomatoes, onion, ginger and flavorful spices mixed with chickpeas and kale for healthy weeknight meal that’s easy to make!
Coming to the end of fall and I thought a nice lentil stew was in order.
I happen to have all the ingredients on hand for this vegan Red Lentil Stew and decided to put them all together. And so glad I did because it was a delicious success!
This hearty lentil stew is packed with vegetables and spices for tons of flavor, and will keep you warm and fully satisfied in the cold winter weather!
What I love so much about this recipe is that, thanks to quick cooking red lentils, it also comes together relatively fast. And leftovers taste even better!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Brightened with lemon and infused with garlic, ginger, and spices, the red lentils cook down into a hearty puree creating a quick and easy lunch or dinner.
Here’s everything you’ll need:
- fresh ginger
- curry (yellow)
- red pepper flakes
- fire roasted tomatoes
- red lentils
- garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- water or vegetable broth
What If I Don’t Have All The Spices?
There are a few spices here which include turmeric, curry, cumin and red pepper flakes. Feel free to simplify by just using curry and maybe another spice or two. You can still pull off a flavorful lentil stew with simply using curry alone as well.
How To Make Curry Red Lentil Stew
This curry red lentil stew is easy to make and on the table in about 45 minutes!
- Rinse the lentils and remove any that are odd.
- In large pot or stock pot, heat your oil over medium heat, saute onion and garlic until onion becomes transparent.
- Add spices, tomatoes, lentils, garbanzo beans and 6 cups of liquids.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Add in the kale and lemon juice, continue to cook for 10 minutes or until kale softens and wilts.
How To Store Leftovers
Refrigerator: Leftovers will keep for 5 – 6 days in the refrigerator, stored in a covered container.
Freezer: This curry lentil stew is freezer friendly and freezes well for up to 2 – 3 months. To freeze, let cool completely and store in freezer safe containers (affiliate link), leaving ½ inch for expansion. Let thaw before reheating. You can also freeze larger portions in large ziplock bags or containers.
Reheat: Simply re-warm on the stovetop over low heat until warmed through. Alternately, reheat in the microwave using 30 – 45 second intervals, stirring after each, until warm. It makes a great meal prep for the week with homemade Naan on the side for soaking up the juices.
More Easy Curry Recipes
- Chana Masala
- Chickpea Tikka Masala
- Curry Sweet Potato & Red Lentil Soup
- Golden Tofu Curry + Black Rice
- Curry Roasted Cauliflower Quinoa Salad
- See all vegan curry recipes on TSV!
If you try this curry red lentil recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
CURRY RED LENTIL STEW WITH KALE & CHICKPEAS
A flavorful Indian spiced curry red lentil stew with chickpeas and kale. Serve with rice or quinoa for a healthy lunch or dinner.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6 1x
- Category: Soup, Entree
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or ¼ cup water/veg broth
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ inch knob fresh ginger, minced
- 1 – 2 tablespoons curry (yellow), to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- himalayan salt to taste
- 1 – 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 can (15 oz) fire roasted tomatoes or 1 cup fresh tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups dry red lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas or 1 can (15 oz) garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 cups water or vegetable broth, + more as needed
- 4 cups kale, julienned
- juice of one lemon, optional
- cooked basmati rice (brown or jasmine ok too), to serve
In large pot or stock pot, heat your oil over medium heat, saute onion and garlic until onion becomes transparent, about 5 minutes. Add spices, tomatoes, lentils, garbanzo beans and 6 cups of liquids, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes. Add in the kale and optional lemon juice, continue to cook for 10 minutes or until kale softens and wilts.
As with all recipes, adjust spices to taste adding anything more or less to your liking.
- Refrigerator: Leftovers will keep for 5 – 6 days in the refrigerator, stored in a covered container.
- Freezer: This curry lentil stew is freezer friendly and freezes well for up to 2 – 3 months. To freeze, let cool completely and store in freezer safe containers (affiliate link). Let thaw before reheating. You can also freeze larger portions in large ziplock bags or containers.
- Reheat: Simply re-warm on the stovetop or the microwave. It makes a great meal prep for the week with homemade Naan on the side for soaking up the juices.
Keywords: red lentil stew, curry lentil stew, vegan lentil stew recipe
Updated: This Curry Lentil Stew was originally published in March 2013. It has been retested and updated with new photos and helpful tips in January 2020. No changes were made to the recipe – I wouldn’t dare!