I’m always inspired by other food bloggers and this easy pear tart using a puff pastry is from one of those inspirations. It comes from the ever wonderful Smitten Kitchen!
I played around with this recipe a few times, starting with apples like Deb’s recipe, but decided to try pears and it was fantastic. And for the glaze, I love the simplicity of using pure maple syrup with vanilla and cinnamon. Overall, this pear tart is not overly sweet and the glaze adds just a hint of flavor.
For the recipe, I’m using a store bought puff pastry but please feel free to make your own. I haven’t attempted that yet but will try later with another tart no doubt. I was happy to see that Pepperidge Farm’s carries a plant based puff pastry.
Let me say that I don’t recommend eating this stuff all the time. Homemade is always better but every once in a while it’s ok, especially if your in a pinch and need a pastry puff. Now to find an organic store bought puff pastry, that will be a keeper!
How To Make Easy Pear Tart + Maple Cinnamon Glaze
This pear tart is extremely quick & easy to put together:
- Just laid the thawed unfolded pastry puff straight onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper (a silpat will work well too), no flour on the bottom needed.
- Core your pears and thinly slice them. I leave the skin on for a rustic appeal and because I like it like that, but you can peel your if you like. Lay your pears slices down leaving 1/4 to 1/2 inch along the edges.
- Add the glaze and bake for 40 – 50 minutes, let cool a few minutes. It may look a little dry once removed from the oven, feel free to add a little extra glaze if you like to spruce it up and make it glisten.
- Finally, adding a sprinkle of slivered almonds adds a nice finishing touch and tastes great!
Simple goodness made easy, enjoy!
EASY PEAR TART + CINNAMON MAPLE GLAZE
Simple and easy, this pear tart is a wonderful snack or dessert!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: Serves 6 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1 puff pastry of choice (I used Pepperidge Farm but homemade is best if possible)
- 3 or 4 pears
- slivered almonds
Maple Cinnamon Glaze
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, or use a silpat, place thawed pastry puff on top. Cover the pastry puff with a light kitchen towel so it doesn’t dry out, set aside away from the oven heat.
Prepare your glaze by combining all three ingredients in a small bowl. Stir and stir until the cinnamon finally incorporates into the syrup. Set aside.
Slice pears in half lengthwise, core and slice in 1/8 – 1/4 inch slices widthwise. Doesn’t have to be exact, in the middle would be great. I did it by hand and some were thinner and some were thicker. Layer your tart leaving about 1/4 inch along the edges.
Using a silicon brush, lightly add the glaze to the pears and a light coat on the edges as well.
Bake for 40 – 50 minutes, turning half way after 20 minutes. Once done, feel free to make a little extra glaze and brush over top to give it a little glisten. Sprinkle with slivered almonds. Serve warm.