Meet the new love of my life, the acai bowl!
There’s nothing quite as wonderful as a thick smoothie in a bowl loaded with crunchy granola (and I mean loaded because it’s just so good that way), fresh berries and toasted coconut. I’ll take one every day please!
The acai berry itself is native to Brazil and has been touted as a ‘superfood’ for good reason. The berries are packed with antioxidants and are a good source of essential amino’s and omega fatty acids.
Flavor wise it is a rich combination of black berries and dark chocolate. Delicious right! And when mixed with other berries it’s a healthy and flavorful ‘super’ berry cocktail.
Top off your acai bowl with an assortment of fruits, nuts, seeds and a good helping of crunchy granola and you’ve got yourself a great start to the day. But, the acai bowl isn’t just for mornings, you can enjoy one anytime time of day…morning, noon or night!
About the recipe:
- We’ll be using freeze dried acai powder. It can be found in most health-conscious stores or ordered here online.
- I use a mix of frozen berries (blueberries, blackberries & raspberries) and either one fresh or frozen banana. You can use any mixture of frozen berries you prefer.
- For protein, add a scoop of your favorite protein powder. I like to add a serving of either hemp hearts or hemp protein powder to mine. A serving of nut butter would be ok too.
- Feel free to change up the topping using sliced bananas, kiwi, raspberries, goji berries, cocoa nibs, etc.
Use what you have on hand or whatever is your favorite. Enjoy often!
SUPER BERRY ACAI BOWL
When the weather gets hot, lighten up and cool down with this classic acai bowl!
- 2 cups frozen berry mix (any combo: blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries)
- 1 fresh or frozen banana
- 2 tablespoons acai berry powder
- 1 cup water or non-dairy milk, + more as needed
- 1 serving protein powder, hemp seeds or nut butter, optional for protein
- mix of fresh berries
- toasted coconut flakes
- chia seeds and/or hemp hearts
In a blender, place the berries, banana, acai powder, optional protein source and water/milk. Blend until smooth. Add extra water if needed (most likely you won’t need any).
Place in serving bowl and top with the suggested toppings or your favorite assortment.
Serves 1 large or 2 small