The best Acai Bowl is a thick smoothie made with acai berry and fruit served in a bowl and garnished with a variety of colorful and tasty toppings. It’s full of superfoods, 100% vegan, and easy to make!
Meet the new love of my life – packed with antioxidants, essential vitamins & minerals. Acai smoothie bowls are the perfect smoothie elixir!
What Is Acai?
Acai (pronounced ah-sigh-EE) is a small deep-purple grape-like fruit harvested from the acai palm tree. It is native to the Brazilian rainforests of Central and South America.
It has truly become something of a phenomenon. Specifically, the acai bowl has captured the hearts of many and is right up there with avocado toast and matcha anything.
Is it healthy? The acai berry has been touted as a ‘superfood’ for a good reason. Like blueberries, blackberries, and other berries, acai berries are packed with antioxidants and are a good source of essential aminos and omega fatty acids. And when mixed with other berries, it’s a healthy and flavorful ‘super berry’ cocktail!
What does it taste like? Flavor-wise, acai berries are a rich combination of blackberries and dark chocolate. Delicious right! It’s a flavor that pairs perfectly with the fruits and toppings commonly eaten in an acai bowl.
What Is Acai Smoothie Bowl Made Of?
An acai smoothie bowl consists of two main parts:
- The Base – This acai bowl features healthy, antioxidant-rich acai berry powder or acai packets along with frozen strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and banana blended with vegan milk, non-dairy yogurt, or water into a thick & creamy smoothie.
- The toppings – Top off your acai smoothie bowl with an assortment of healthy toppings. Some of my favorites include sliced bananas, kiwi, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, goji berries, cocoa nibs, crunchy granola, coconut, chia seeds, etc.
It’s a great way to start the day and treat yourself to something good!
But, the acai bowl isn’t just for mornings! You can just as easily enjoy this superfood treat anytime time of day – morning, noon, or night.
How To Make The Best Acai Bowl
- It all starts with Acai Berry – We’ll be using freeze-dried acai powder which can be found in most health-conscious stores or ordered online (affiliate link). Frozen acai berry packets can also be used. You can find the packets at Target or your local grocery store in the freezer aisle with the frozen fruits.
- Add in mixed berries and banana – I like using a mix of frozen berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries & raspberries) and one fresh or frozen banana. You can use any mixture of frozen berries you prefer. Even cherries would be great.
- Protein – Optionally, add a tablespoon of nut butter, hemp hearts, or chia seeds. Or use ½ scoop of your favorite protein powder.
- The Liquids – Blend it all together with unsweetened plant milk or water.
- Toppings – Customize your acai bowl with various toppings. Some of my favorites include sliced bananas, kiwi, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, goji berries, cocoa nibs, vanilla granola, coconut, chia seeds, etc…
Acai Bowl Tips
- Use ripe bananas. When freezing bananas, make sure they are very ripe. That way, they will sweeten your smoothie so you won’t need added sweeteners.
- Serve right away. As with all smoothies, they are best eaten right after making.
- Top to your heart’s content. Add as much fruit as you like to your acai smoothie bowl. Just go easy on the granola if you’re watching your refined sugar intake.
More Smoothie Inspiration
Because you can never have too many smoothie recipes, whether in a bowl or in a glass! Take a look at these other vegan smoothie recipes, you may just find a new favorite.
- Chocolate Almond Butter Smoothie Bowl
- Chocolate Cherry Smoothie
- Berry + Yogurt Smoothie
- Vanilla Date Smoothie
- Enlighten Smoothie Bowl
- See all vegan smoothie recipes on TSV!
If you try this easy acai recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
Super Berry Acai Bowl
Rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals, this quick and easy homemade acai bowl is a perfect way to lighten up and cool down!
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: Serves 1 1x
- Category: Breakfast, Smoothie
- Method: blender
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1 cup frozen berry mix (any combo: blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries)
- 1 large banana (sliced and frozen)
- 1 tablespoon acai berry powder or 1 packet frozen acai puree
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk or water, + more as needed
- 1 tablespoon nut butter, optional for protein
- mix of fresh berries and fruit
- toasted coconut flakes
- chia seeds and/or hemp hearts
In a blender, place the berries, banana, acai powder, optional protein source and water/milk. Blend until smooth. Add extra water if needed (most likely you won’t need any).
Place in serving bowl and top with the suggested toppings or your favorite assortment.
Serves 1 large or 2 small
I love and recommend this acai berry powder from Terrasoul, purchased from Amazon (<affiliate link). You can find frozen acai berry packets for smoothie bowls at Target in the freezer section with the other frozen fruits.
Nutrition information is calculated without toppings.
Updated: Homemade Acai Smoothie Bowl was originally published in April 2016. It has been retested and updated with new photos and helpful tips in April 2021.