For the love of mushrooms, this easy vegan mushroom gravy made from scratch is AMAZING, and a perfect match for these pillowy soft Mashed Potatoes you have hopefully whipped up and still have leftovers. :) Together it’s comfort food at its finest!
With only 5 ingredients, not including salt & pepper, this easy mushroom gravy recipe is rich and creamy. It’s dairy free, can be gluten free, and pretty much the best mushroom gravy ever!
What to do with mushroom gravy?
Can I freeze mushroom gravy?
You sure can! Let the gravy cool and store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 months. Let thaw in the refrigerator and reheat in a saucepan, whisking to recombine.
So without further ado, let’s get to it…
How To Make Vegan Mushroom Gravy: Step by Step
Start with gathering your ingredients…
What you’ll need:
- Mushrooms: Use 1 lb. white or baby bellas. Purchasing them pre-sliced will save you some time!
- Olive oil, or your favorite neutral flavored oil, you can use non-dairy butter or margarine.
- Flour, use any light flour or gluten free blend.
- Mushroom or vegetable broth, be sure to purchase a quality brand with good flavor. I used mushroom broth here which made the broth a deep brown, if using vegetable broth your results may be lighter.
- Thyme, this is optional but will add another layer of flavor.
- Salt & freshly ground pepper will finish it off!
With so few ingredients, be sure to use the highest quality ingredients you can!
Now let’s put the pan on the stove, add some oil and turn the heat to medium. Add the mushrooms, saute for about about 15 minutes, until most of the mushroom juices have been evaporated (photo above is what they’ll look like). Add the flour and cook another few minutes until flour is absorbed.
As shown above, flour is completely absorbed (not super appetizing looking but hang in there we’re not done yet!). Add 1 cup broth and stir continuously until thickened and no flour lumps are visible, about 5 minutes.
Slowly add the remaining liquids and continue to cook over medium-low at a gentle simmer, stirring frequently, until gravy thickens, about 15 – 20 minutes. Gravy will thicken upon standing.
And there you have it, the best vegan mushroom gravy made 100% from scratch with love.
I hope you love it as much as I do. Do let me know in the comments if you try this easy mushroom gravy!
More Gravy InspirationPrint
VEGAN MUSHROOM GRAVY
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: Makes 4 cups
- Category: Side
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1/4 cup olive oil or non-dairy butter
- 1 (16 ounce) package sliced mushrooms (white or baby bellas)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, or as needed
- 1 quart (4 cups) mushroom or vegetable broth
- mineral salt & fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, or to taste (optional)
Heat oil over medium heat, add mushrooms and season with a pinch of salt. Simmer mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until liquid is almost evaporated, about 15 minutes.
Add flour, continue cooking and stirring for about 3 – 5 minutes, at least until the flour has been absorbed and not white anymore. Add 1 cup of broth, stirring/whisking briskly until incorporated and liquid has thickened, there should be no flour lumps, about 5 minutes.
Slowly pour in the remaining broth and mix thoroughly. Season with black pepper and thyme. Simmer at a gentle boil over medium-low until thickened, about 20 minutes, stirring often. Gravy will thicken upon standing. Taste for flavor, adding more salt and pepper as needed.
Makes about 4 cups.
If you find the gravy isn’t thickening up, mix 1 tablespoon oil with 1 heaping tablespoon flour, mix well until completely blended, add to simmering broth, stirring until dissolved, continue cooking until thickened.
I used mushroom gravy when making this recipe which gave it a rich brown color, if using vegetable broth your gravy may be lighter in color.
Make this gluten free by using gluten free flour.