One Pot Penne Pasta with Mushrooms and Sausage is a hearty and delicious, and is an easy vegan recipe, ready in 30 minutes!
Happy Monday, I’m back with a super easy one-pot pasta recipe featuring earthy mushrooms and vegan sweet Italian sausage.
When life is busy, having a few quick recipes on hand is priceless. You can easily throw this one-pot meal together and have it on the table in about 30 minutes.
It will make enough pasta to feed a crowd, or if making for only a few, you will have plenty of left overs for brown bag lunches or quick re-heat dinners. It tastes even better the next day!
One-pot pasta meals are a true blessing and will always have a spot in the meal rotation!
Ingredients You’ll Need:
Here is everything you’ll need, including variations on individual ingredients:
- Mushrooms: I used baby bella mushrooms. You can purchase them whole or pre-sliced. Many times I’ll find a good deal on mushrooms. They always seem to be on sale when I need them, hopefully you will have the same luck.
- Vegan sausage: The Tofurky sausage I already had on hand. Another vegan sausage I recommend is Field Roast. Both taste great and have a few different flavors to choose from.
- Tomatoes: I call for a large can of crushed tomatoes but diced tomatoes would work just as well too. Especially if you prefer to have chunks of tomatoes. Or use this quick and easy Homemade Marinara Sauce.
- Seasoning: For the seasoning, use dried basil and oregano with the option of adding fennel seeds. If you don’t have the individual herbs on hand, try using an Italian seasoning blend.
- Pasta: Use penne or any small style pasta.
How To Make One-Pot Penne Pasta
- Start with sauting the onions, then add the garlic and sausage and continue to cook for 1 – 2 minutes. Add in the mushrooms, tomatoes and spices. Give a good stir.
Tip: You may opt to make this cook even faster. In which case, instead of cooking the onion, sausage and garlic first, simply place all the ingredients in the pot, minus the parsley, bring to a boil and continue on with the recipe. It will cut at least 7 minutes off the cooking time.
- Add in the dried pasta and vegetable broth/water, and give another good stir. Bring it all to boil, and let it simmer and cook.
Once done (shown below), you’ll have yourself a big pot of deliciously comforting and hearty pasta. Then give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done and enjoy! :)
- Serve with a light dusting of Almond Parmesan.
- Serve with a chunk or slice of homemade Artisan Bread.
- Serve with a side salad like this Vegan Caesar Salad or simple leafy green salad with Healthy Flax & Evo Balsamic Vinaigrette.
- Pair with a serving of Vegan Minestrone Soup or simple Roasted Butternut Squash Soup.
- Pair with on of these Easy Vegan Calzones.
- Serve with a side of Savory Sauteed Kale.
How To Store Leftovers
- Refrigerator: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, in a covered container.
- Freezer: This pasta dish is freezer friendly, and can be kept for up to 2 – 3 months in freezer safe containers. Let thaw before reheating.
- Reheat: Warm on the stovetop over low heat, adding a splash of water or pasta sauce so it doesn’t stick to the pan, until warmed through. Alternatively, reheat in the microwave oven using 30 – 60 second intervals, stirring between each interval, until warmed through.
- Meal prep: This recipe is great for meal prep using these multi-use freezer safe storage containers (affiliate link).
More Easy Pasta Recipes
- Quick & Easy Vegan Pasta Salad
- Pasta & Peas with Red Pepper Romesco
- Creamy Broccoli Pasta
- Spinach & Ricotta Vegan Stuffed Shells
- See all vegan Pasta recipes on TSV!
If you try this one pot penne pasta recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
ONE-POT PENNE PASTA W/ MUSHROOMS + SAUSAGE
One Pot Penne Pasta with Mushrooms and Sausage is a hearty and delicious lunch or dinner. Easy vegan recipe, ready in 30 minutes!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6 - 8 1x
- Category: Entree, Pasta
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1/4 cup water (for water saute)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 – 3 vegan sausages, sliced (Tofurky or Field Roast)
- 1 lb. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, optional
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth or water (or combo)
- 1 1b. penne pasta (I used whole grain)
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- mineral salt & fresh cracked pepper, to taste
Saute: In a large pot or dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat, add onion and saute for 4 – 5 minutes. Add garlic and sausage, cook another 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
Cook: Add the mushrooms, tomatoes, basil, oregano, optional fennel, broth/water, pasta, and a good pinch of salt & twist of fresh cracked pepper. Bring mixture to a boil, give good stir, cover, reduce heat to low and let simmer at a constant gentle rolling boil for 15 minutes, stir occasionally. Remove from heat, stir in a little parsley and give a good stir.
Serve with a little extra parsley over top and a light dusting of Almond Parmesan. Pair it with a slice of your favorite crusty bread.
Serves 6 – 8
If you have Italian seasoning on hand, feel free to use 2 teaspoons in place of the spices listed above.
This makes a large portion, cut the recipe in half if you prefer.
To make this recipe cook even faster, instead of cooking the onion, sausage and garlic first, simply place all the ingredients in the pot, minus the parsley, bring it all to a boil and continue on with the recipe as stated. It will cut at least 7 minutes off the cooking time.