Hi again! I’ve missed being here and am so glad to be back in the swing of my normal day to day activities. I haven’t really been far, just working on other things for TSV.
For starters, TSV quietly turned 2 in July. I can’t believe it! In honor of my 2nd blogiversary, I put together an Archive E-Book as I’ve had a few requests for it. Seemed like the perfect time. It’s done and it’s awesome…you can find more about that here: The Archives E-Book.
Also, I finally got a new computer, a much needed one that can handle my multi-tasking! It’s wonderful and working well, making life so much smoother and easier. Cheers to all things positive and worthwhile! I hope you all are finding yourself in a happy place as well. :)
Now, on with this delicious recipe!
Today, I have something wonderful and savory to share with you! It’s a perfect hearty meal, comforting and warm while filling all your senses.
The aroma alone smells delicious and once you take your first bite, you’ll be hooked. I had seconds and thirds. Seriously!
It’s packed with protein and fiber, as well as other important vitamins to keep you plant strong and loving it. This is another super easy dish to put together, ready in under an hour.
A few ways to make this versatile:
- If you don’t like mushrooms…sub in red bell pepper, zucchini or celery.
- Use pasta of choice. I chose pappardelle here but have used all kinds of other pastas with this.
- If you don’t have canned tomatoes on hand, sub in a jar (25 oz) of organic pasta sauce of choice. I used canned tomatoes with basil and olive oil which added nice flavoring.
- If not using wine, replace with water or veggie broth. If using wine, feel free to add more…it gives a wonderful flavor!
This recipe is a keeper and a welcome addition to the recipe collection!Print
HEARTY LENTIL & MUSHROOM RAGU + PASTA
Packed with protein and fiber, this lentil & mushroom ragu is hearty, savory and comforting!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 3 tablespoon water for water saute
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced or diced
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano or herbes de provence
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups lentils (green/brown or puy)
- 1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup full-bodied red wine
- 1 tablespoon corn or tapioca starch, or arrowroot powder
- mineral salt & cracked pepper to taste
- 16 oz. pasta of choice
- chopped parsley, to serve
In a large dutch oven/pot, heat oil or water over medium heat, add onions and saute for 5 minutes, add garlic, carrots, mushrooms, red pepper flakes and oregano, saute for 4 minutes, or until mushrooms begin to soften.
Add lentils, tomatoes, vegetable broth and wine, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, until lentils are tender.
Combine starch with 3 tablespoons water, mix well, add to the ragu, stir and cook another 10-15 minutes. Add more water/broth or wine as needed. (Omit the addition of starch if using jarred pasta sauce, keep cooking lentils as needed until tender.)
Cook pasta according to package.
Serve ragu over pasta. Top with chopped parsley and a light dusting of Almond Parmesan.
If you don’t have canned tomatoes on hand, sub in a jar (25 oz) of organic pasta sauce of choice. I used canned tomatoes with basil and olive oil..added nice flavoring.
Use whatever pasta you like. I’ve served this with all kinds of pasta types.
If not using wine, replace with water or veggie broth. If using wine, feel free to add more…it gives a wonderful flavor!
If you don’t like mushrooms…sub in a small diced red bell pepper, small diced zucchini or 1/2 cup diced celery.
Feel free to omit the corn/tapioca starch. It’s just to thicken it up a bit but will be great without it. If using a jar of pasta sauce, you can most definitely omit this part.
I used 2 cups of puy lentils here.
Looking for vegan wine, take a look at this great resource! Barnivore: Vegan Wine Directory