This Vegan Caesar Salad is so easy to make and an absolutely favorite of mine! A rich and creamy roasted garlic Caesar Dressing, tossed with fresh romaine, and topped with crunchy homemade garlic chickpea croutons, almond parmesan and side of avocado for an amazing vegan salad!
The ingredients are simple, accessible, dairy and egg free. Caesar salad makes a perfect lunch, dinner, or make ahead meal. Or serve as a small appetizer or side to your favorite pasta dish, like this Ultimate Vegetable Lasagne or Simple Cheese Manicotti.
What’s in a Vegan Caesar Salad?
Caesar salad is a simple dish that can be changed up a variety of ways, creating something wonderful to suit your taste. I love adding sliced avocado for extra creaminess, and of course you can change up the garlic chickpea croutons adding traditional bread croutons instead.
A vegan caesar salad recipe has 4 main parts:
- Dressing: Caesar salad dressing is tangy, rich and creamy. The tang is from the lemon or apple cider vinegar, and the richness is from the worcestershire, briny capers and roasted garlic.
- Romaine lettuce: Romaine lettuce is crisp and crunchy with a mild, slightly bitter taste that’s delicious.
- Croutons: Typically Caesar salad includes croutons, but we’ll be making homemade garlic chickpea croutons instead, adding a crispy texture and protein to your caesar salad.
- Parmesan cheese: We’ll be using a non-dairy, vegan Almond Parmesan. It’s a delicious vegan cheese that pairs perfectly with the tanginess from the caesar salad dressing.
How To Make Vegan Caesar Salad
A vegan caesar salad is super easy make, the only thing that takes time is the garlic chickpea croutons, but once those are done, the rest is ready in 5 minutes!
Chickpea Croutons: Preheat the oven so its nice and hot. Make sure the chickpeas are mostly dry and remove any of the skins that peel away during the drying process. Simply place them on the rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with oil and spices, and toss. Add the garlic (for the dressing) and bake for 35 – 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Caesar Dressing: Soak the cashew for 5 minutes in hot water (this can be optional). Place the cashews, roasted garlic, capers, dijon, vegan worcestershire, lemon juice, salt & pepper, and blend until creamy smooth. Taste for flavor. Dressing can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator for up to 6 days.
Assemble: Chop the romaine, add to a large mixing bowl, and toss with the Caesar dressing (you may have leftovers), top with chickpea croutons and healthy sprinkle of Almond Parmesan. Serve with optional sliced avocado.
And that’s it, a fabulous vegan Caesar salad to enjoy often!
More Favorite Vegan Salads
Salads are a great way to include fresh veggies and fruits into your diet. Take a look at these other vegan salads, you just may find a new favorite for the meal rotation!
- Apple, Beet & Carrot Kale Salad
- Super Spinach Salad
- Kale, Date & Almond Salad
- See all vegan Salad recipes on TSV!
VEGAN CAESAR SALAD
This vegan caesar salad with garlicky chickpea croutons is so easy to make and absolutely delicious! Recipe is dairy free, egg free and perfect for lunch, dinner or make ahead meal ideas.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: Serves 3
- Category: Salad, Entree
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 3 heads romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 avocado, sliced (optional)
- Almond Parmesan
- 1 can (15oz) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- generous pinch mineral salt
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 1 tablespoon vegan worcestershire (I use Annie’s)
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- juice of 1 medium lemon or 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- generous pinch of mineral salt & fresh cracked pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat.
Chickpea Croutons: Place rinsed chickpeas between a clean dish cloth, and gently rub them to dry, removing any of the loose skins. Place chickpeas on a prepared baking sheet, drizzle with oil and toss to coat, sprinkle with garlic powder and salt. Arrange chickpeas in a single layer, and garlic cloves (from the dressing), and bake for 35 – 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so. Remove from oven, set aside.
Caesar Salad Dressing: Soak the cashew in hot water (not boiling) for 5 minutes, drain. In a high speed or personal blender, add the cashews, water, roasted garlic cloves, capers, worcestershire, dijon, lemon juice, salt & pepper, blend until creamy smooth.
Assemble: Place the chopped romaine in a large mixing bowl, add as much or as little of the dressing as you like, you may have some leftover, and give a good toss. Top with chickpea croutons, avocado, and a sprinkle of Almond Parmesan.
If you don’t have capers, no worries, the dressing is just as great without them!