Vegan Poke Bowl (aka Tofu Poke Bowl) features tender tofu and onions marinated in a delicious ginger-soy sauce and paired with rice, red cabbage, cucumber and avocado for a quick and easy meal bowl!
Let’s make Hawaiian tofu poke bowls together!
I’m in love with this vegan poke bowl recipe with tofu, it’s quick, easy and completely addicting!
As you probably know, poke is traditionally made with tuna or some kind of fish, but we’ll be using cubed organic tofu, which soaks up the sesame-ginger marinade and has a tender mouth feel. It’s healthy, filling and tastes great!
Tofu poke bowls are perfect for a healthy lunch, dinner and make ahead meal, and can be whipped up in as little as 20 minutes!
We love making this Hawaiian poke bowl during the summer when temperatures rise. There’s no cooking needed and it’s so easy to throw together in a pinch!
How To Make Tofu Poke
- Press the tofu: Start with gently pressing the tofu, using firm or extra-firm tofu. To do this, drain tofu, place it on its side, and cut lengthwise down the center. Place the 2 tofu slabs, flat, in between a clean dish towel, or paper towels, and gently press to soak up any moisture (shown above left).
- Make the tofu marinade: Next, in a shallow dish or bowl, whisk together the tamari, rice vinegar, sambal oelek, sesame oil, garlic, and ginger. To grate the garlic and ginger, I used a microplane (affiliate link), but mincing works well too.
- Marinate the tofu poke: Add the cubed tofu and sliced onions to the marinade, gently toss to coat and let set for 10 minutes, stirring once or twice (shown above right).
How To Make Vegan Poke Bowls
- Prep the produce: While the tofu poke is marinating, prep the cabbage, cucumber, radishes, scallions, avocado and lime wedges (shown above). For variation, try adding: carrot slices, diced mango, or cubed pineapple chunks.
- Cook the grain: For the grain, use cooked brown or black rice, quinoa is great too. For a super boost of flavor, use this Cilantro Lime Rice. To make things really easy, use pre-cooked rice or rice & quinoa blends in packets, as they heat up in under 2 minutes.
- Assemble: Assemble your tofu poke bowl and enjoy all the deliciousness of this simple, savory meal!
How To Store + Meal Prep
- Refrigerator: Leftovers do well in the refrigerator for up to 4 – 5 days.
- Meal prep: Vegan poke bowls are great for meal prep, and can be stored in individual portions in covered containers. The rice is best made when serving, but you can try using quinoa which holds up well after being refrigerated.
More Easy Tofu Recipes
Tofu is extremely versatile and can be used in a variety of ways. Here are a few of my favorite recipes using tofu.
- Teriyaki Tofu-Tempeh Casserole
- Thai Rainbow Zucchini Noodle Bowl + Crispy Tofu
- Grilled Baja Tofu Tacos + Red Cabbage Slaw
- Golden Tofu Curry + Black Rice
- Black Pepper Tofu
- See all vegan Tofu recipes on TSV!
If you try this vegan poke bowl recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
VEGAN TOFU POKE BOWL
Vegan Tofu Poke Bowl features marinated tofu in a sesame-ginger sauce with fresh veggies and grain of choice. Perfect for lunch, dinner or make ahead meals, and can be whipped up in as little as 20 minutes. Marinade adapted from Anne Burrell of Food Network.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 20 min
- Yield: Serves 3 1x
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup tamari, coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or lime juice
- 1/2 tablespoon sambal oelek
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and finely chopped or finely grated
- 1 inch piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped or grated
- 1/3 sweet onion, such as Maui onion, julienned
- 14 oz block organic tofu (firm or extra firm), cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced
- 3 – 4 radishes, sliced
- 1/4 red cabbage, shredded
- 1 avocado, diced or sliced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted or black
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, sliced thinly on the bias
- lime wedges
- 1/3 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- Dynamite Sauce, optional
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice (brown, black or cilantro lime rice) or quinoa
For variation try adding:
- sliced carrots (or carrot ribbons)
- diced mango
- or cubed pineapple