This deconstructed vegan Sushi Bowl features antioxidant rich black forbidden rice, cool cucumbers, crunchy carrots, creamy avocado and sprouts, drizzled with a creamy dynamite sauce for a healthy lunch or dinner!
Sometimes it’s just easier to throw your sushi ingredients into a bowl, which was just the case for me here!
Make attempt at making sushi rolls did not go over very well so I opted to make deconstructed sushi bowls, saving the sushi roll for later.
Sushi bowls are much easier to make and just as healthy and delicious as their rolled version. With just a few colorful veggies, rice and drizzle sauce, it’s a new favorite. And the pickled ginger takes it over the top!
I think you’re going to love your veggie sushi in a bowl as much as I did!
Let’s Talk About Black Rice!
Black rice (aka purple, fortune, Emperor’s or forbidden rice) is highly nutritious and a grain that we could all benefit from adding to our meal rotation. It’s slightly more nutritious than brown rice and can be used in place of other colored rices, even in dessert recipes.
Its main attribution over brown rice is the concentration of anthocyanin antioxidants in its dark color. The power of these antioxidants can be compared to that of blueberries and other dark colored fruits and vegetables.
Its flavor and texture is about the same as brown rice and the nutritional profile is similar as well. With it’s nutty texture and softly sweet undertone, it’s one of those ingredients I use on occasion and thought it would be perfect for this sushi bowl.
Ingredients You’ll Need
I kept the vegetables simple but you can make your sushi bowl your own by changing up the vegetables to whatever you have accessible in your area or on hand.
- rice – use your favorite, I’ve used black rice here
- alfalfa sprouts – or sprouts of choice, pea shoots would be great too
- nori sheet
- sesame seeds
- pickled ginger
- lemon or splash of apple cider vinegar
- sriracha, sambal oelek or chili garlic (or your favorite hot sauce)
How To Make Sushi Bowls
- Make the dynamite sauce. Whisk together the tahini, sriracha, lemon juice and water in a small bowl.
- Cook your rice or grain of choice.
- Prep the tofu, if using (I simply pan-fried mine).
- Assemble the sushi bowl by adding grain, veggies, and optional add-ins to your serving bowl (shown above).
- Pour dressing over top, and enjoy!
Altogether, this is an easy to throw together vegan sushi bowl that you can enjoy whenever the craving strikes!
Vegan sushi bowls are filling on their own, but you may like to serve it with a little something on the side. Here are a few of my favorite options:
- Serve with a small bowl of Garlic Miso Soup with Greens with Greens or Simple Miso Noodle Soup.
- Serve with a little Vegan Kimchi for added spice and healthy probiotics.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Raw Vegan Sushi Rolls
- Mango & Avocado Cauliflower Rice Sushi
- Vegan Tofu Poke Bowl
- Soba Noodle Bowl
- Summer Rolls
If you try this sushi bowl recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
SUSHI BOWL + DYNAMITE SAUCE
Sushi in a bowl featuring nutritious black rice and spicy creamy dressing for a light and healthy vegan lunch or dinner! Great for meal prep too!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: Serves 2 - 3 1x
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1/2 cup black rice (or rice of choice *see notes)
- just under 1 cup water or vegetable broth
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cucumber, chopped
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup alfalfa sprouts, or sprouts of choice
- 3 radishes, thinly sliced
- nori sheet, cut into strips, optional
- pickled ginger, optional
- sesame seeds, to garnish
- 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) tahini
- 1/4 cup water, + more as needed
- juice of 1/2 small lemon or splash of apple cider vinegar
- 2 – 3 teaspoons sriracha, sambal oelek or chili garlic (or your favorite hot sauce)
- pinch of salt
Black rice: Rinse rice well under cool running water using a fine mesh sieve. In a small saucepan, bring rice and water to a boil, cover, reduce heat to simmer and cook for 25 minutes without disturbing. When done, remove lid and let rest about 10 minutes, fluff with fork. Please check your package for cooking directions just in case, this was mine.
Dynamite sauce: In a small bowl, mix all the dressing ingredients together, cover and set aside. Add more water to thin your dressing, add more tahini to make it thicker.
Assemble sushi bowl: To serve, add 1/3 of the rice into your serving dish and arrange the prepared vegetables over top or to the side. Drizzle with dynamite sauce and add a sprinkle of sesame seeds. Enjoy your deconstructed sushi bowl in all its creamy gloriousness!
Serves 2 – 3
Store: Leftovers can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 – 4 days.
*If using a different rice, other than black rice, cook according to package directions using 1/2 cup of rice.
If you don’t have tahini on hand, use any vegan mayo of choice, about 1/2 cup + a tablespoon or so of water to thin if needed. Omit the lemon/vinegar juice.
Change up the vegetables using colored bell peppers, pan seared julienned shiitake mushrooms, shredded purple or green cabbage, peas shoots, etc.
Add in cubed tofu or edamame for added protein.
Keywords: vegan sushi bowl
Updated: Sushi Bowl was originally published in September 2014. It has been retested and updated with new photos and helpful tips in March 2020.