Let’s make Hawaiian tofu poke bowls together!
I’m in love with this vegan poke bowl recipe, it’s quick, easy and completely addicting!
As you probably know, poke is traditionally made with tuna or some kind of fish, but we’ll be using cubed organic tofu, which soaks up the sesame-ginger marinade and has a tender mouth feel. It’s healthy, filling and tastes great!
Perfect for lunch, dinner or make ahead meals (they’re great for weekly meal prep), and can be whipped up in as little as 20 minutes.
So let’s get to it…
How To Make Tofu Poke Bowls:
Begin with the tofu…
We’ll start with gently pressing the tofu, using firm or extra-firm tofu. To do this, drain tofu, place it on its side, and cut lengthwise down the center. Place the 2 tofu slabs, flat, in between a clean dish towel, or paper towels, and gently press to soak up any moisture.
Next, in a shallow dish or bowl, whisk together the tamari, rice vinegar, sambal oelek, sesame oil, garlic, and ginger. To grate the garlic and ginger, I used a microplane, but mincing works well too.
Add the cubed tofu and sliced onions to the marinade, gently toss to coat and let set for 10 minutes, stirring once or twice.
While the tofu poke is marinating, prep the cabbage, cucumber, radishes, scallions, avocado and lime wedges.
For variation, try adding:
- carrot slices
- diced mango
- or cubed pineapple chunks
For the grain, use cooked brown or black rice, quinoa is great too. To make things really easy, use pre-cooked rice or rice & quinoa blends in packets, as they heat up in under 2 minutes.
Assemble your tofu poke bowl and enjoy all the deliciousness of this simple, savory meal!
For more tofu recipe inspiration:
Tofu is extremely versatile and can be used in a variety of ways. Here are a few great tofu recipes to try, you may just find a new favorite!
- Teriyaki Tofu-Tempeh Casserole
- Thai Rainbow Zucchini Noodle Bowl + Crispy Tofu
- Grilled Baja Tofu Tacos + Red Cabbage Slaw
- Golden Tofu Curry + Black Rice
- Black Pepper Tofu
TOFU POKE BOWL (VEGAN + EASY)
Tofu marinated in a sesame-ginger sauce with fresh veggies and grain of choice. Perfect for lunch, dinner or make ahead meals, and can be whipped up in as little as 20 minutes. Marinade adapted from Anne Burrell of Food Network.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 20 min
- Yield: Serves 3
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup tamari, coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or lime juice
- 1/2 tablespoon sambal oelek
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and finely chopped or finely grated
- 1 inch piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped or grated
- 1/3 sweet onion, such as Maui onion, julienned
- 14 oz block organic tofu (firm or extra firm), cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced
- 3 – 4 radishes, sliced
- 1/4 red cabbage, shredded
- 1 avocado, diced or sliced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted or black
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, sliced thinly on the bias
- lime wedges
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- Dynamite Sauce, optional
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice (brown or black) or quinoa