My favorite Vegan Cornbread is an easy, everyday cornbread recipe that’s perfectly sweet, moist, and tender. Perfect for summer BBQ’s and winter soups, stews and chilies!
Are you ready for the best vegan cornbread ever?! It may even be better than my Sweet Chia Cornbread recipe which I have loved forever!
This delicious classic cornbread is made with simple pantry staples and ready in under 30 minutes. It’s a perfect side for vegan soups, stews and chilies and is just as delicious on its own smeared with vegan butter or this yummy Triple Berry Chia Seed Jam!
So without further ado, let’s make a fresh batch of homemade vegan cornbread!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Here is everything you will need, plus a few tips and suggestions for the best vegan cornbread:
- Flour: Use a ratio of 1 to 1 yellow corn meal and flour is best for the ultimate cornbread flavor. Use unbleached all-purpose, light spelt and even whole-wheat pastry flour with great results. I haven’t tried gluten free flour, but I’m sure this 1-1 GF flour blend will do wonderfully!
- Sugar: My favorite sugars to use are organic pure cane sugar (white or brown) and coconut sugar. For a more caramelized sugar flavor, use brown or coconut sugars. Feel free to adjust the sugar, up or down, to your liking.
- Milk: We’ll be making vegan buttermilk by adding a little lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to the milk and letting it rest while the oven preheats, or at least 10 minutes. The acid will add a little sour note and make your cornbread even better!
- Oil: My favorite oil is light flavored olive oil, but feel free to use your favorite neutral flavored oil. Coconut oil is delicious too! Using oil will ensure a moist and tender cornbread that isn’t crumbly! If you prefer a buttery corn muffin recipe, replace the oil with melted butter (I recommend Miyoko’s Vegan Butter), but they may be a bit crumbly.
- Optional add-ins: Try changing it up using 1 – 2 chopped jalapeno peppers, 1 cup corn (fresh, canned or frozen), 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen), 1 cup dried cranberries, 1 cup shredded vegan cheddar cheese, or ½ cup crumbled coconut bacon. Feel free to mix and match using your best judgement.
How To Make Vegan Cornbread
Making homemade cornbread only requires a few simple steps:
- Prep: Set the oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease an 8 or 9-inch baking dish (round or rectangular).
- Mix wet: I like to start with mixing the liquids with the sugar in a 2 cup measuring cup, and giving a good stir every few minutes . The reason for this is that I use pure cane sugar which tends to be courser than regular sugar, so mixing it with the liquids first helps to dissolve the larger granules a bit before mixing.
- Mix dry: While the sugar mixture is resting. Mix together the flour and baking powder.
- When the oven is ready: Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and mix until combined. Don’t overmix! Pour the batter into the baking dish.
- Bake: Place in the oven for 25 minutes. Let cool a few minutes and slice.
Now all you have to do is enjoy!
How To Make Skillet Cornbread
For a crunchier crust, try baking cornbread in a cast iron skillet, using a 9 or 10-greased skillet. Use the same directions as listed above and in the recipe card, replacing the baking dish with a skillet, and cook at the same temperature and same amount of time.
Can I make Cornbread Muffins?
Yes, you sure can. Take a look at this easy vegan cornbread muffin recipe!
How To Store Leftovers
Leftovers can be stored on the counter, in the refrigerator, or in the freezer, and reheat well.
- On the counter: Leftovers can be stored, covered, on the counter for 3 – 4 days.
- Refrigerator: Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 – 6 days.
- In the freezer: For longer storage, freeze cornbread for up to 2 – 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before eating.
- To reheat: Heat up your cornbread in the microwave or bake in a preheated oven set at 300 degrees F for 10 minutes.
Finally, the best part about making cornbread is eating it! Here’s a few great recipes that go well with cornbread:
- Easy Three Bean Chili
- Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice
- Vegan Minestrone
- Vegetable Chili
- Quinoa Verde Chili
- Sweet Potato and Quinoa Chili
- Vegan Collard Greens with Chickpeas
- and it’s great smeared with this Triple Berry Chia Jam!
If you try this vegan cornbread recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
FAVORITE VEGAN CORNBREAD
My favorite vegan cornbread is the best everyday cornbread recipe that’s easy to make and perfectly sweet, moist, and tender!
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: Makes 9 slices 1x
- Category: Bread, Side
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan, American
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour (spelt, unbleached all-purpose, 1–1 gluten-free flour)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon mineral salt
- ⅓ cup organic sugar (pure cane white/brown or coconut)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ⅓ cup light flavored olive oil (or your favorite neutral oil)
- juice of 1 small lemon or 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8 or 9-inch square baking pan.
Wet & Sugar: In a medium bowl (or 2 cup measuring cup), mix together the milk, lemon juice, sugar, and oil, mix well. Set aside, stir occasionally, for 5 – 7 minutes.
Dry: In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt together.
Mix: When the oven is ready – pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until combined. Avoid over-mixing.
Pour & Bake: Pour batter into prepared baking dish. Place baking dish into the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown on top and the center is cooked through. Use a toothpick to test for doneness, should come out clean when stuck in the center. Once done, cool a few minutes before slicing and serving.
Store: Wrap leftovers up tightly and store on the counter for up to 3 – 4 days. To keep longer, freeze baked cornbread for up to 2 – 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator and heat up in the microwave or bake in a 300 degrees F oven for 10 minutes.
If you prefer a buttery corn muffin recipe, replace the oil with melted butter (I recommend Miyoko’s Vegan Butter). They will be a little crumbly, but still delicious!
Optional add-ins: 1 – 2 chopped jalapeno peppers, 1 cup corn (fresh, canned or frozen), 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, 1 cup dried cranberries, 1 cup shredded vegan cheddar cheese, or ½ cup crumbled coconut bacon. Feel free to mix and match using your best judgement.
Skillet Cornbread: Baking cornbread in a skillet gives it an even heartier, crunchy crust. Bake this cornbread in a 9-inch or 10-inch oven safe greased skillet at the same temperature for the same amount of time.
Keywords: vegan cornbread