I know it’s hot these days but I’ve been craving a chili as of late. I’ve seen a few recipes here and there and have been inspired to add one to the vegan recipe collection.
A good chili recipe is a must and this Easy Three Bean Chili recipe is loaded with flavor, protein and fiber – all the while being easy to put together!Print
EASY THREE BEAN CHILI RECIPE (VEGAN)
- 1 can black beans (15 oz), drained and rinsed
- 1 can kidney beans (15 oz), drained and rinsed
- 1 can pinto beans (15 oz), drained and rinsed
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes with green chilies (15 oz)
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced (I used grape tomatoes cut in half)
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon old bay seasoning, if on hand
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon chipotle or cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 –2 teaspoon cocoa powder or one small piece of dark chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups water or vegetable broth, + more if needed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt to taste
- scallions and cashew sour cream to garnish
In large pot heat olive oil, saute onion and garlic until translucent, about 5 min. Add all ingredients to pot and bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes or so, stirring occasionally and adding additional water as needed, shouldn’t need more than 1/4 cup if that. Taste for flavor adding anything you feel it needs.
Serve with the sliced green onions, cashew sour cream and vegan sweet chia cornbread.
Replace the 1 cup fresh diced tomatoes for another can (15 oz) of tomatoes for ease.
Mix and match your beans to whatever you like or have on hand. Cooking dried beans would be even better, texture and taste wise.
Add veggies if you like such as chopped celery, carrots, bell peppers, corn, etc…delicious! Adding more vegetables will make this go further giving about 5 servings. Add extra water if needed.
- Calories: 361
- Sugar: 8.7
- Sodium: 999.5
- Fat: 6.2
- Carbohydrates: 61.4
- Fiber: 21.7
- Protein: 19.5
- Cholesterol: 0