Soft and tender on the inside with a crispy top (thanks to a little sugar) and full of orange and cranberry flavors, these Vegan Cranberry Muffins are my favorite in the winter months!
Muffins are a great way to start the day and light snack for a quick pick me up during the day.
You’ll find these sweet and flavorful muffins are made dairy and refined sugar free using wholesome, everyday ingredients!
They’re oil-free too, using applesauce instead, making them a healthy addition to your muffin routine.
Whether making for family and friends, a holiday gathering or just because, these delicious Cranberry Orange Muffins will not disappoint!
This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Here’s a list of everything you’ll need, plus ideas for substituting when needed.
- Cranberries – Fresh or frozen work well, so use whatever is most accessible. If using frozen, there’s no need to thaw them before adding to the batter.
- Orange Juice + Zest – Use fresh squeezed or your favorite bottled brand. I highly recommend adding orange zest as it adds so much flavor and it looks pretty too!
- Flour – Use unbleached all-purpose, light spelt flour or whole wheat pastry flour for best results. For GF, use a 1-1 gluten free flour blend.
- Sugar – I used organic pure cane sugar, but coconut sugar or date sugar would be great too. You may even be able to get away with using half and half of sugar and pure maple syrup. Adding a sprinkle of sugar before baking will yield a nice crunchy muffin top!
- Applesauce – Unsweetened applesauce is preferred. Make your own homemade applesauce (it’s so easy using an Instant Pot or slow cooker) or use store bought. If you don’t have applesauce on hand, use light flavored olive oil (or your favorite neutral flavored oil).
- Baking Powder – This double acting leavening agent is a must to ensure a good rise and spread.
- Baking Soda – This ingredient helps rise and helps give the muffins tops a nice golden color. If you don’t have baking soda on hand, use HEAPING teaspoons of baking powder.
- Salt – My favorite everyday salt is pink mineral salt (affiliate link) which naturally contains essential minerals and trace elements the body needs.
How To Make Vegan Cranberry Orange Muffins
Making cranberry orange muffins is super easy and requires just a few simple steps.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with parchment liners or lightly grease with oil.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the orange juice and applesauce, mix well until just combined, don’t overmix. Gently fold in the cranberries and orange zest, as pictured above.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tin holes, filling to the rim (shown above). Optionally, top with a few cranberries and sprinkle of sugar.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Once done (shown below), let cool a few minutes and enjoy!
How To Store Leftover Muffins
- Counter: Once completely cooled, store the muffins in an airtight container, lined with a paper towel, on the counter for up to 3 – 4 days. The paper towel will soak up moisture and keep them from getting too moist. They also do fine loosely covered for 1 – 2 days.
- Refrigerator: Store in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Freezer: Store in the freezer for up to 2 months stored individually wrapped in a freezer safe container or bag. When ready to eat, let the muffins come to room temp and warm in a toaster oven before eating if you like.
Can I make bread out of this muffin recipe?
You sure can! Head on over to this Favorite Cranberry Orange Bread and give it a try.
Tips For Making The Best Muffins
- When measuring the flour, don’t scoop it out of the container with the measuring cup. Instead, spoon it into your measuring cup, leveling it off with the back of a knife.
- Don’t overmix the batter, as overmixing can cause muffins to be tough and bake unevenly.
- Add a sprinkle of sugar overtop each muffin just before baking. The sugar hardens and will create a nice crispy muffin top.
- Place muffins on the center rack when baking.
- To test for doneness, insert a wooden toothpick into center of one of the center muffins in the pan. The toothpick should come out clean or with a few moist crumbs clinging to it.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Vegan Blueberry Muffins
- Vegan Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Vegan Pumpkin Muffins
- Vegan Banana Cake
- Pumpkin Scones
- Pumpkin Oat Muffins + Crumble Topping
If you try this vegan muffin recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
VEGAN CRANBERRY ORANGE MUFFINS
Sweet, fluffy, with an amazing orange aroma and juicy, tart cranberries in every bite, these Cranberry Orange Muffins are healthy, easy to make and so delicious!
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: Makes 12 muffins 1x
- Category: Breakfast, Snack
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan, American
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar (pure cane, coconut or date)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with parchment liners or lightly grease with oil.
Mix: In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the orange juice and applesauce, mix well until just combined, don’t overmix. Fold in the cranberries and orange zest.
Fill Muffin Tin: Spoon the batter into the muffin tin holes, filling to the rim. Optionally, top with a few cranberries as desired and a sprinkle of sugar for a crunchy top.
Bake: Place on the center rack and bake for 30 minutes. Once done, let cool a few minutes and enjoy!
Store: Muffins will keep on the counter, loosely covered, for up 3 days. For longer storage keep in the refrigerator for up to 6 days, or freeze for up to 2 – 3 months.
Flour: Use light spelt, unbleached all-purpose or whole wheat pastry flour. You can play around with the a mix of any of these. For GF, use 1-1 gluten free flour blend.
When measuring the flour, don’t scoop it out of the container with the measuring cup. Instead, spoon it into your measuring cup, leveling it off with the back of a knife.
Don’t overmix the batter, as overmixing can cause muffins to be tough and bake unevenly.
Add a sprinkle of sugar overtop each muffin just before baking. The sugar hardens and will create a nice crispy muffin top.
If you don’t have baking soda on hand, make the teaspoons of baking powder heaping.
Keywords: vegan cranberry orange muffins, cranberry orange muffin recipe, healthy oil-free muffins