Vegan Cream Cheese – Creamy smooth with a bit of tang this tasty dairy free cream cheese recipe is customizable and easy to make!
Bring on the bagels, homemade cream cheese and all the fixings for a great breakfast platter or main meal!
This vegan cream cheese recipe is a perfect substitute for dairy cream cheese and is adapted from my Cashew Ricotta Cheese. It’s easy to make and can easily be customized for extra tang or flavored with optional add-ins.
If you’re trying to give up dairy or are just craving a great dairy free cream cheese than I think you’re going to love this vegan cream cheese recipe!
Ingredients You’ll Need
In this recipe, cashews are blended with two types of acidic ingredients creating a slightly tangy and creamy spread that you won’t believe is dairy-free!
Here is everything you’ll need:
- Raw cashews
- Apple cider vinegar
- Mineral salt
Pro Tip: Use a high-speed or small personal blender (affiliate link) for the best results.
How To Make Vegan Cream Cheese
Making vegan cream cheese only takes a few simple steps:
- Soak cashews. Soften the cashews by soaking them in hot water for 10 minutes. Alternately, soak them for 2 – 3 hours in cool water. Cashews don’t need any longer than 3 hours to soak but will be fine if soaked overnight. Soaking also aids in digestion and is good for those with sensitivities.
- Blend. Add the ingredients to the blender cup and process until creamy, stopping to scrape down the sides every now and then. Taste for flavor, adding more lemon or apple cider vinegar for more tang.
- Eat as is or chill. Serve right away or keep in the refrigerator to chill and thicken even more.
How To Store Leftovers
- Refrigerator: Leftovers will keep for 5 – 6 days in the refrigerator, stored in a covered container.
- Freezer: This cashew cream cheese can be kept in the freezer, in a freezer safe container, for up to 2 months. Let thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours before using.
You can use it anywhere dairy cream cheese is called for. We absolutely love this stuff!
- Smear on crackers and bagels (sweet or savory)
- Make cream cheese filled celery sticks
- Serve with a platter of fruit and breads
- Use it in baking, like this Persimmon Ricotta Scones
- It’s great in this Zucchini Ricotta Pasta + Mint
Can I Buy Dairy-Free Cream Cheese In The Store?
Absolutely! Before learning how to make homemade, my favorite store bought vegan cream cheeses were kite hill and Miyoko’s. Kite hill has a variety of flavors and is my #1. Miyoko’s plain is tangy and great when you want that extra zing.
More Easy Cashew Recipes
If recipes using cashews intrigues you, be sure to take a look at this amazing:
- No-Bake Raspberry Vegan Cheesecake
- or this comforting Easy Vegan Mac & Cheese with Peas
- Vegan Caesar Salad Dressing
- Cashew Sour Cream
- or maybe this flavorful Vegan Aioli!
If you try this cashew cream cheese recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
VEGAN CREAM CHEESE
Silky smooth vegan cream cheese is made with 5 simple ingredients and is a perfect condiment for bagels, sandwiches, and veggies!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: Makes about 1 cup 1x
- Category: Condiment
- Method: blend, puree
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1 + 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (about 2 – 3 small lemons)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon mineral salt
Optional add-ins (use one):
- 3 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 1 small jalapeno, seeds removed and minced
Soak cashews: Cover cashews with hot water and soak for 5 – 10 minutes. Alternately, soak them for 2 – 3 hours in cool water. Soaking will aid in digestion.
Blend: Using a high speed blender or small personal blender, add the ingredients to the cup of your preferred blender and blend until creamy, stopping to scrape down the sides every now and then. If using optional add-ins, stir them in.
Enjoy vegan cream cheese right away or let chill in the refrigerator before serving.
Makes about 1 cup
Store: Leftovers will keep for 5 – 6 days in the refrigerator. For longer storage, it will keep in the freezer for up to 2 months. Let thaw in the refrigerator before using.
Add-ins: For variation try adding fresh chopped chives, 1/2 – 1 teaspoon onion powder, or a small diced jalapeno for a change of taste. When adding flavor, I suggest blending the chives and jalapeno in by hand at the end. For a sweet variation try this Sweet Cashew Cream.
Keywords: vegan cream cheese, cashew cream cheese, cream cheese recipe