Best Vegan Chocolate Milkshake can be made with banana or non-dairy ice cream for a thick, creamy, and decadent dessert that’s both healthy and delicious!
Why We Love This Recipe!
Decadent and tasty, this is my favorite chocolate vegan milkshake recipe ever!
It’s a perfect treat on a hot summer day when temperatures are in the triple digits or you’re just craving a thick and creamy chocolate milkshake!
- It’s healthy. With only 4 main ingredients, which are dairy-free and refined sugar-free, you can be sure this milkshake is a guilt free pleasure!
- Ready in minutes. Once you have your ingredients gathered, it’s ready in about 1 minute.
- Easy to customize. I’ve made this easy to customize for just about anyone. Use banana or non-dairy ice cream. Add a date or dash of cinnamon for another layer of flavor.
Enjoy this vegan shake as breakfast, snack, dessert, or any time you need a boost or want to cool down. It will leave you feeling great!
What’s In A Chocolate Vegan Milkshake?
Here is the basic ingredients for a vegan milkshake, including ingredient variations:
- Banana or Vanilla Non-Dairy Ice Cream – Keep it whole food plant based with a banana or use your favorite dairy free ice cream.
- Unsweetened Almond Milk – This recipe will work with just about any non-dairy milk such as almond, cashew, oat, soy, or coconut milk.
- Cacao or Cocoa Powder – Use your preferred chocolate. If keeping this raw, use cacao powder with the banana option.
- Vanilla – If using vanilla flavored milk, you can skip or add more for even more flavor.
- Dates – Want to sweeten your milkshake even more? Add 1 pitted medjool date, they are naturally sweet with a hint of caramel.
- Cinnamon – Take your milkshake up a notch with the addition of a little cinnamon!
How To Vegan Make Vegan Chocolate Milkshake
Making a vegan milkshake is as easy as 1 – 2 – 3!
- Choose the milkshake base – frozen bananas or dairy-free ice cream.
- Add the banana or ice cream to your blender cup, along with the plant milk, vanilla, and cocoa powder and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into glasses and top with your favorite toppings.
That’s it, now you’re ready to enjoy this deliciously, healthy milkshake!
- Serve your milkshake in frosted glasses! Put your glasses in the freezer an hour before making your shake for a perfectly chilled and frosted glass that will keep your drink chilly.
- Make a protein milkshake. Turn this into a protein shake by adding a scoop of vegan protein powder or 2 tablespoons Almond Butter. It’s an especially good addition for those just starting a plant based diet and unsure of how to get enough protein, or those who are always on the go.
More Healthy Desserts
- Chocolate Cherry Smoothie
- No-Bake Chocolate Chip Cookie Energy Balls
- Chocolate Chia Pudding
- Chocolate Peanut Butter No Bake Cookies
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
If you try this vegan milkshake recipe or have a question, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
Best Vegan Chocolate Milkshake
Decadent and delicious, this is my favorite vegan chocolate shake ever with banana or vanilla ice cream! Turn this into a protein shake by adding a scoop of your favorite vegan protein powder.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Total Time: 5 min
- Yield: Serves 2 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: blender
- Cuisine: American, Vegan
- 3 frozen, sliced bananas or 2 cups non-dairy vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or coconut, oat, cashew, soy, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons cacao/cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pitted date (or 1 Tbsp pure maple syrup), optional
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon, optional
To serve, optional
- non-dairy whipped cream
- shaved chocolate or cacao nibs
- chocolate syrup
- fresh strawberries or cherries
Place everything in blender, blend away until combined.
Serve in frosted glasses with optional toppings or simply enjoy as is!
Make it protein rich by adding 1 scoop protein powder, optional (use plain, vanilla or chocolate). You may need to add a little extra liquids.
Nutrition information is calculated using bananas and almond milk. Nutritional values are estimates only. See our full nutrition disclosure here.
Updated: Chocolate Vegan Milkshake was originally published in August 2012. It has been retested and updated with new photos and helpful tips in April 2021.