Cantaloupe & Cucumber Salad features cantaloupe with cool, refreshing cucumber, sweet red bell pepper, and red onion in a zesty apple cider dressing for a light and flavorful summer fruit & veggie salad!
Cool, peppery, juicy and sweet, it may seem like an unlikely combination, but trust me this fresh salad is an absolutely delicious medley of fruits and veggies!
This fresh Cucumber & Cantaloupe Salad recipe is inspired by one of my go-to salads at one of our favorite Mexican brunch locations here in So Cal.
No matter how full I get, I always make room for a healthy helping of this simple and delicious salad. With summer still under way, it seemed a good time to share.
Easy to make and healthy as can be, enjoy this fresh salad as a side, or as a main dish on those days when fresh is all you want. Recipe requires only 5 ingredients (plus salt & pepper) and is ready in 10 minutes.
Ingredients You’ll Need
With so few ingredients, be sure to find the freshest produce you can. You’ll want each ingredient to shine at it’s best!
Here is everything you will need (measurements are in the recipe card at bottom of the post):
- red bell pepper
- red onion
- apple cider vinegar – can sub with white wine vinegar
- salt + pepper
How To Make Cantaloupe & Cucumber Salad
Making this summery cantaloupe and cucumber salad is easy, the hardest part is prepping the veggies. See the bottom of this post for the full printable recipe.
- How to cut cantaloupe – Slice the cantaloupe in half (doesn’t matter if you slice it horizontally or vertically). Slice the cantaloupe halves into 5 or 6 slices. Slice the flesh away from the rind, by cutting from one end of the slice to the other as close as you can to the rind. Chop into chunks, preferably on the smaller side.
- How to cut cucumber – Simply peel with a vegetable peeler and slice off each end. You can also leave this on if you like for added nutrition and add extra fiber. Slice the cucumber into ⅛ – ¼ inch slices.
- How to cut bell pepper – Cut the very top of the bell pepper off, and remove the seedy core. Cut the end, and slice into ¼ – ⅛ inch slices. Cut the sliced in half.
- How to cut onion slices – Slice the onion in half lengthwise. Cut off both ends of one of the halves and remove the outer layer. Place the sliced onion, end cut down and slice into ⅛ – ¼ inch slices. If onion slices seem too long for you, cut them in half.
- Assemble the salad – As you have been preparing each ingredient you can place them in a large bowl, one by one. Once done, add your apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper. Mix well to coat, cover and set in the refrigerator for an hour or so to chill and marinate, mix occasionally if you like. You can also eat straight away if you like.
And that’s it, now you’re ready for something healthy and wonderful!
How To Store + Make Ahead
- Refrigerator: Store leftover in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 5 – 6 days.
- Make ahead: This salad can easily be made ahead and chilled until ready to use. For best presentation, don’t make ahead more than 24 hours in advance.
More Easy Side Dish Recipes
- Radish and Cucumber Salad
- Fresh Spicy Thai Mango Salad
- Sweet Corn + Arugula Salad
- Quick + Easy Pasta Salad
- Vegan Macaroni Salad
- Vegan Potato Salad
If you try this refreshing salad recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
CANTALOUPE + CUCUMBER SALAD
A little cool, a little peppery, this cantaloupe and cucumber salad is a perfect summer salad on a hot day. Eat as a side, snack or light meal.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 15 min
- Yield: Serves 4 - 6 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: mix
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 cantaloupe, seeds removed and cubed
- 1 large cucumber (I used English), thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ large red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 – 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (white wine vinegar ok too)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, optional
- ½ teaspoon fresh cracked pepper, or to taste
- good pinch of salt
- fresh basil or mint, to garnish (optional)
Cantaloupe: Slice your cantaloupe in half (doesn’t matter if you slice it horizontally or vertically). Scoop out the seeds with a large spoon and discard. Slice your cantaloupe halves into 5 or 6 slices. Using a sharp knife, cut from one end of the slice to the other as close as you can to the rind, slowly and carefully cutting the orange flesh away from the peel. Slice into bite size pieces.
Cucumber: Slice off each end and using a vegetable peeler remove the outer skin (leave skin on for extra nutritional value and fiber). Slice the cucumber into ⅛ – ¼ inch slices.
Bell Pepper: Wash and core your bell pepper. Slice into ¼ – ⅛ inch slices. Cut the slices in half.
Onion: Slice the onion in half lengthwise. Cut off both ends of one of the halves and remove the outer layer. Place the sliced onion, end cut down and slice into ⅛ – ¼ inch slices. If onion slices seem too long for you, cut them in half.
Assemble salad: Place ingredients in a large bowl. Add apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper and mix well to coat. Cover and set in the refrigerator for an hour or so to chill and marinate, mix occasionally if you like.
Serve: Salad can be served chilled or at room temperature.
Store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 5 – 6 days.
Serves 4 – 6
Try adding a sprinkle of fresh chopped/julienned basil or mint over top for an added layer of flavor.
Nutritional values are estimates only. See our full nutrition disclosure here.
Updated: Cantaloupe & Cucumber Salad was originally published in August 2015. It has been retested and updated with new photos and helpful tips in January 2020.