Eggplant puttanesca is a perfect blend of tender eggplant, spicy red pepper flakes and salty olives and capers, with a slight touch of sweetness from the sauce. It’s absolutely a meal to fulfill all your senses, leaving you wanting more!
It’s been years since I’ve had eggplant, and I’m so gad I gave this Eggplant Puttanesca recipe a try. Both hearty and healthy, this eggplant pasta sauce is absolutely delicious!
This is a warm and cozy eggplant pasta meal with a rustic feel that I love. Ready in 30 minutes, it makes an easy vegan weeknight meal the whole family will love. And the leftovers are even better!
To add a little freshness to your pasta meal, this Vegan Caesar Salad is a perfect starter or side to eggplant puttanesca with pasta!
How To Make Eggplant Puttanesca
What you’ll need:
- olive oil
- pasta sauce
- olives (kalamata, green or medley)
- red pepper flakes
Tips and variations:
Use your favorite pasta sauce. I used a 25 oz gar of organic roasted garlic sauce. In the past I’ve also used roasted red pepper sauce which was great too!
Feel free to add 2 cloves of garlic, minced, when sauteeing the onion and eggplant.
Use any pasta you like. I used penne pasta here. If following a gluten free diet, use gluten free pasta.
Put it all together:
This eggplant puttanesca recipe is so easy make and will be ready for the table in about 30 minutes!
- Simply saute the onion and eggplant, add the pasta sauce, olives, capers and red pepper flakes, simmer for 15 – 20 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, cook the pasta, once done, combine the pasta with the sauce.
- Serve with chopped basil and almond parmesan.
And that’s it, this hearty eggplant puttanesca with pasta is seriously delicious!
This eggplant puttanesca is:
- Quick and easy
- Perfect Easy Weeknight Dinner
- Only 8 ingredients
- Low fat
- Budget friendly
More Recipes You’ll Love
If vegan pasta dishes are your thing, you must try this:
- Spinach and ‘Ricotta’ Vegan Stuffed Shells
- One-Pot Penne Pasta with Mushrooms & Sausage
- Spaghetti Squash & Italian Bean Balls
- Vegetable Lasagne
- Or see all vegan Italian recipes on TSV!
If you try this eggplant puttanesca recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
An easy pasta dish with a flavorful blend of spicy from the pepper flakes, salty from the kalamata olives and slight touch of sweetness from the tomato sauce.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6 1x
- Category: Entree, Pasta
- Cuisine: Vegan, Italian
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium eggplants, cut into 1/2 – 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 (25oz) jar pasta sauce (I used an organic roasted garlic sauce)
- 1/2 cup pitted olives (kalamata, green or greek)
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 16 oz. pasta of choice
In large skillet/saute pan heat olive oil over medium heat, saute onion and eggplant until tender, about 8 – 10 min. Add sauce, olives, capers, red pepper flakes, cover reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 – 20 min.
Cook pasta according to package directions.
Serve eggplant sauce over pasta with a light dusting of Almond Parmesan over top. Pairs well with a slice of crusty bread.