Simple Lemon Pasta features tender pasta tossed with a buttery, garlic lemon sauce, red pepper flakes, and parsley for a delicious quick and easy vegan pasta dish!
The simples are the best! Here is a lightened up version of the classic, dairy filled, Italian pasta recipe, Pasta al Limone.
In this healthy version of lemon pasta we’ll be using a little butter for richness, which blends perfectly with the garlic and lemon for a delicious bright and flavorful sauce.
It’s full of bold flavors and light enough to leave you feeling refreshed and satisfied. Plus, it’s easy to make in a cinch and ready in about 15 minutes!
This versatile, vegan lemon pasta recipe makes for an easy lunch, dinner or make ahead meal idea!
This pasta recipe is so easy to make and only requires 6 ingredients, plus salt & pepper!
Here is everything you will need, including variations:
- Lemons – Here I have selected sweet Meyer lemons, but any juicy lemon will do.
- Non-dairy butter – My favorite and only one I use is Miyoko’s. You can sub with a good olive oil as well, even a lemon infused olive oil would be terrific.
- Garlic – Fresh is best, but you can sub with garlic powder if in a pinch.
- Red pepper flakes – The red pepper flakes are added for spice and pop of color.
- Pasta – I used long chickpea pasta noodles here, but you can use rice, spelt, whole wheat or any type of pasta that fits your dietary needs.
- Parsley – The parsley adds extra brightness as well as some freshness.
- Salt + pepper – As always, season to taste.
How To Make Lemon Pasta
There are only 4 steps – here is a quick overview of the process (see below for the the full printable recipe card):
- Start with cooking the pasta according to package directions. When draining, reserve ½ cup of pasta water.
- Saute the garlic and red pepper flakes in butter for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add the cooked pasta to the garlic sauce, along with a little pasta water, mix and warm through.
- Remove from heat, dd the lemon juice, parsley, lemon zest, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
And that’s it – simple and delicious!
- Make it creamy. Stir in a little Vegan Heavy Cream to the mix for added creaminess.
- Gluten-free. There are a few great gluten-free long pastas available that work well with this recipe.
- Adjust to taste. As will all my recipes, feel free adjust any of the ingredients to suit your taste!
What To Serve With Lemon Pasta
Lemon pasta can be turned into a full course meal with any of these delicious soups, salads, or breads!
More Easy Pasta Recipes
Pasta is one of those ingredients that is economical and versatile. Here are a few more ways to use this pantry staple.
- Lemony Asparagus Pasta Salad
- Simple Zucchini Pasta
- Caesar Pasta Salad
- Eggplant Puttanesca
- Hearty Chickpea Noodle Soup
If you try this simple pasta recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
Simple Lemon Pasta
A simple lemon garlic pasta dish infused with vegan butter or oil, lemon juice, parsley, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper. Ready in about 15 minutes!
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: Serves 3 1x
- Category: Entree, Pasta
- Method: boil, saute
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 8 oz. package pasta (any long noodle)
- 2 – 3 tablespoons vegan butter or olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 2 – 3 lemons (about ½ cup), juice of and some zest
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- salt & pepper, to taste
Pasta: Cook pasta al dente according to package. Drain and reserve ½ cup of pasta water. Rinse pasta well under cool running water, set aside.
Saute: In the pot the pasta was cooked, heat the butter over medium heat, add garlic and red pepper flakes, and saute for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Add pasta: Add the cooked pasta and ¼ cup of pasta water, heat until pasta is warmed through.
Add lemon + parsley: Reduce heat to low, stir in the lemon juice, lemon zest and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve: Place in individual serving bowls and top with grated vegan parmesan or Almond Parmesan. Add extra lemon zest, salt and pepper to taste.
Store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 – 5 days. Reheat on the stove over low heat, adding a little water or lemon juice for moisture. Alternatively, warm in the microwave.
Updated: Lemon Pasta was originally published in September 2013. It has been retested and updated with new photos and helpful tips in March 2021.