Vegetable Cabbage Soup (Healthy + Easy)
Vegan Cabbage Soup with a whole head of cabbage, mixed veggies, and flavorful herbs is a healthy and hearty vegetable soup packed with flavor!
I needed a new cabbage soup in my life – and here it is! Brimming with healthy cabbage, green beans, carrots, tomatoes, and Italian herbs, it’s just about the best vegan cabbage soup ever!
Why We Love This Recipe!
- It’s an easy one-pot recipe using everyday ingredients and is ready in 45 from start to finish.
- It can be made on the stovetop, in a slow cooker, or Instant Pot!
- It’s full of healthy fiber, vitamins, and minerals for a nourishing and delicious soup. Check out the nutrition card below!
- Plus, there’s an option to make it oil-free for a cabbage soup that’s heart-healthy and virtually fat-free.
- And if you have any leftovers, they’re even better the next day!
Without further ado, let’s make soup!
Cabbage Soup Ingredients
Made with just 10 simple ingredients, here is everything you will need, including variations. Measurements can be found in the recipe card below.
- Cabbage – Both green and savoy cabbage are good choices.
- Mirepoix – The usual mix of onion, carrot, and celery acts as an aromatic flavor base to the soup.
- Tomatoes – A large can of diced tomatoes adds to the ease of this recipe.
- Green beans – Fresh is best when in season, otherwise frozen will do fine. They add a healthy dose of protein to the soup.
- Potato – Yukon, russet, white, or red potatoes all work well. Use your favorite or what you have on hand. Switch it up with a sweet potato for extra nutrients!
- Seasoning – An abundance of Italian seasoning makes this soup full of flavor. Sub with 2 tsp each – thyme, oregano, and basil. Herbes de Provence is another blend that would taste great! For another layer of flavor, consider using 1/2 – 1 teaspoon of sweet paprika or smoked paprika for a smoky flavor.
- Veg broth – Along with the seasoning, a good vegetable broth will add another layer of flavor. I use 1/2 – 1 tsp. Veg Better Than Bouillon with water.
How To Make Vegan Cabbage Soup
Here is a quick look at the process of making cabbage soup. See below for the full printable recipe card.
- Core and chop the cabbage.
- Saute the onion, carrot, and celery, adding in the herbs at the last minute.
- Add the potato, green beans, tomatoes with juices, and cabbage.
- Pour the vegetable broth over top and simmer for 30 minutes.
And voila, you are now ready to dine!
- Use at least a 5 qt. pot. This recipe uses a whole head of cabbage and needs extra room before the cabbage wilts.
- Add extra protein. Make this a well-balanced recipe by adding in 1 can (14oz) of drained and rinsed white beans (cannellini, great northern, or chickpeas), or use 1 1/2 cups freshly cooked.
- Add pasta. For heartiness, add 8 ounces of cooked pasta such as shells, elbow, macaroni, rotini, fusilli, etc.
- Soak up the juices. Serve with homemade Artisan Bread, Vegan Corn Bread, or Naan on the side for dipping in the juices.
How To Store
Refrigerator: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 – 6 days in sealed containers.
Freezer: Cabbage soup is freezer friendly and can be stored in the freezer for up to 2 – 3 months. To freeze, let cool completely and store in freezer-safe containers (affiliate link), leaving 1/2 inch head space for expansion. Alternatively, freeze larger portions in large freezer ziplock bags. Let thaw before reheating.
Meal prep. This soup gets better overnight and makes a great meal prep for the week! Store in individual portions for an easy-to-go meal.
Reheating: Simply re-warm on the stovetop over low heat until warmed through. Alternately, reheat in the microwave using 30-second intervals, stirring after each, until warm.
More Healthy Soup Recipes!
- Hearty Vegan Lentil Soup (a fan-favorite)
- Creamy Celery Soup (celery never tasted so good!)
- Lemon Rosemary White Bean Soup (another reader favorite)
- Vegan French Onion Soup (simple perfection)
- Vegan Tomato Basil Soup (great with grilled cheese)
If you try this easy soup recipe or have a question, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
VEGETABLE CABBAGE SOUP
Brimming with colorful veggies, a whole head of cabbage, and flavorful herbs, Vegetable Cabbage Soup makes a delicious and healthy lunch, dinner, or meal prep idea! Vegan, oil-free option, and freezer friendly recipe. Includes stovetop, Instant Pot, and slow cooker methods.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4 – 6 1x
- Category: Entree, Soup
- Method: simmer
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1/4 cup water or 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery sticks, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 can (28oz) diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 medium potato or 6 baby (about 1 cup), diced (see notes)
- 1 1/2 cups green beans, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 head (2lbs.) of green cabbage (about 8 – 10 cups), cored and chopped
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- salt + pepper, to taste
- splash of balsamic or white wine vinegar (or juice of small lemon)
To serve, optional
- chopped parsley
- lemon wedges
- crusty bread
Stovetop: (see notes for more cooking methods)
- In a large 5qt. dutch oven or pot, heat water/olive oil over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, onions and garlic, saute for 4 minutes. Add the herbs and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the green beans, tomatoes, potatoes, cabbage, and liquids, cover, bring to a boil. Remove lid, cabbage should be starting to shrink enough that you can give a good stir. Cover, turn heat to low and simmer for 20 – 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add more water if needed, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add splash of vinegar or lemon juice for punch of flavor.
Serve: Ladle into soup bowls and top with chopped parsley. Pairs great with homemade vegan cornbread, vegan naan or artisan bread.
Serves 4 – 6
Store: Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for 4 – 5 days. store covered. To keep longer, store in the freezer in freezer-safe containers for 2 – 3 months.
Potato: You can use your favorite, but we recommend white, red, or Yukon. For variation, use sweet potato (it’ll add extra nutrition).
Veg broth vs. water: Vegetable broth will yield the more robust and flavorful broth, but you can use water if needed. Just be sure to season well with salt and pepper. If using water, you may even want to add 1 teaspoon of onion and garlic powder for a fuller flavored broth.
Adjust veggies: Add more or less of any of the vegetables!
Add beans: The green beans add a good dose of protein, but a drained can of white beans or 1 1/2 cups fresh cooked would be great too, adding to the nutritional profile.
Herb sub: In place of Italian seasoning, use 2 tsp. EACH dried oregano, basil, and thyme. Herbes de provence will also work. For another layer of flavor, try using 1/2 – 1 teaspoon of sweet paprika or smoked paprika for a smoky flavor.
Add pasta: For even more heartiness, add 8 ounces of cooked pasta such as shells, elbow, macaroni, rotini, fusilli, etc.
MORE COOKING METHODS
Instant Pot (6 qt.): Add the ingredients, except water/oil, to the bowl insert of your pressure cooker. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set the release valve to the SEALED position. Press the MANUAL button and set the timer at 3 minutes. Once finished, set valve to quick release or let it release pressure on its own (takes about 20 minutes). Remove lid. Season with salt & pepper taste. Add splash of vinegar or lemon juice for punch of flavor.
Slow Cooker: Add the ingredients, except the water/oil, to the bowl of your crock pot. Cover with lid. Set on HIGH for 4 – 5 hours or LOW for 8 – 10 hours. Add water as needed. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Add splash of vinegar or lemon juice for punch of flavor.
FOLLOW TSV on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, or RSS for more updates and inspiration!
I wonder if you used 2 teaspoons or 2 Tablespoons of Italian seasoning. I can’t imagine this being bland with the called-for amount of seasoning. Maybe salt will help too. It just goes to show how everyone has a different sense of taste. We do hope you make the recipe again, seasoning to your liking!
Love <3 Love <3 Love <3
Soo versatile and delicious!! Thank you Thank you Thank you, Julie!! I'm trying many soups and this was "the bomb"… It's definitely on my list as I rotate. Flavors are super awesome. I'm big on taste so this really hit the spot.
Thanks again!! YUM :P
Always tickled when I find something my meat preferring husband enjoys and this was a hit. I added some cannellini beans and a few mushrooms. I used canned green beans because that was all I had.
Thanks for a tasty recipe.
Next time I will all add more chickpeas and white beans. Also didn’t use the whole head of cabbage. But so good! But there will be a next time so easy for how tasty!
How many garlic?
Depending on how much you love garlic, you can use 1 to 3 garlic cloves! I hope that helps!
Delicious! We added a can of white beans.
Very healthy and satisfies the eye and smell. Will make always. :)
I tried it and it came out so delicious and easy to make!
This was SO tasty!!! I did add minced garlic and a lot more Italian seasoning, but with some toasty bread this was super delicious!