Vegetable Cabbage Soup – Full of fresh veggies, a whole head of cabbage, and flavorful herbs this vegan cabbage soup is a naturally healthy meal packed with flavor!
I needed a new cabbage soup in my life – and here it is! Brimming with healthy cabbage, green beans, carrots, tomatoes and Italian herbs, it’s just about the best vegan cabbage soup ever!
Why We Love This Recipe!
- It’s an easy one-pot recipe using everyday ingredients that’s ready in about 45 from start to finish.
- It can be made on the stovetop, in a slow cooker or Instant Pot.
- It’s full of healthy fiber, vitamins, and minerals for a nourishing and delicious soup. Check out the nutrition card below!
- Plus, there’s an option to make it oil-free for a soup that’s heart healthy and virtually fat free.
- And if you have any leftovers, they’re even better the next day!
Without further ado, let’s make vegetable cabbage soup!
What Goes Into Vegan Cabbage Soup?
This recipe is made with just 10 simple ingredients!
Here is everything you will need, including ingredient variations. Measurements can be found in the recipe card below.
- Cabbage – Both green and savoy cabbage are good choices.
- Mirepoix – The usual mix of onion, carrot and celery acts as an aromatic flavor base to the soup.
- Tomatoes – A large can of diced tomatoes add to the ease of this recipe.
- Green beans – Fresh is best when in season, otherwise frozen will do fine. They add a healthy dose of protein to the soup.
- Potato – Yukon, russet, white, or red potatoes all work well. Use your favorite or what you have on hand.
- Seasoning – An abundance of Italian seasoning makes this soup full of flavor. Sub with 2 tsp each – thyme, oregano, and basil. Herbes de Provence is another blend that would taste great!
- Veg broth – Along with the seasoning, a good vegetable broth will add another layer of flavor. I use ½ – 1 tsp. Veg Better Than Bouillon with water.
How To Make Vegetable Cabbage Soup
Here is a quick look at the process of making cabbage soup. See below for the full printable recipe card.
- Core and chop the cabbage.
- Saute the onion, carrot, and celery, adding in the herbs during the last minute.
- Add the potato, green beans, tomatoes with juices, and cabbage.
- Pour the vegetable broth over top and simmer for 30 minutes.
And voila, you are now ready to dine!
- Use at least a 5 qt. pot. This recipe uses a whole head of cabbage and needs the extra room. I used a 4 qt here and had to be careful, so fyi!
- Add extra protein. Make this a well balanced recipe by adding in 1 can of drained white beans (cannellini, great northern, or chickpeas), or use 1 ½ cups fresh cooked.
- Add pasta. For more heartiness, add 8 ounces of cooked pasta such as shells, elbow, macaroni, rotini, fusilli, etc.
- Meal prep. This soup gets better overnight and makes a great meal prep for the week.
- Soak up the juices. Serve with homemade Artisan Bread, Vegan Corn Bread or Naan on the side for dipping in the juices.
Can You Freeze Cabbage Soup?
Yes, veggie cabbage soup is freezer friendly and can be stored in the freezer for up to 2 – 3 months. To freeze, let cool completely and store in freezer safe containers (affiliate link), leaving ½ inch head space for expansion. Alternatively, freeze larger portions in large freezer ziplock bags. Let thaw before reheating.
How To Reheat
Simply re-warm on the stovetop over low heat until warmed through. Alternately, reheat in the microwave using 30 second intervals, stirring after each, until warm.
More Healthy Soup Recipes!
- Hearty Vegan Lentil Soup (a fan-favorite)
- Creamy Celery Soup (celery never tasted so good!)
- Lemon Rosemary White Bean Soup (another reader favorite)
- Vegan French Onion Soup (simple perfection)
- Vegan Tomato Basil Soup (great with grilled cheese)
If you try this easy soup recipe or have a question, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
VEGETABLE CABBAGE SOUP
Brimming with colorful veggies, a whole head of cabbage, and flavorful herbs, Vegetable Cabbage Soup makes a delicious and healthy lunch, dinner, or meal prep idea! Vegan, oil-free option, and freezer friendly recipe. Includes stovetop, Instant Pot, and slow cooker methods.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4 – 6 1x
- Category: Entree, Soup
- Method: simmer
- Cuisine: Vegan
- ¼ cup water or 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery sticks, sliced
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 can (28oz) diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 medium potato or 6 baby (about 1 cup), diced
- 1 ½ cups green beans, sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 head of green cabbage (about 8 – 10 cups), cored and chopped
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth (or water)
- salt + pepper, to taste
To serve, optional
- chopped parsley
- lemon wedges
- crusty bread
Stovetop: (see notes for more cooking methods)
- In a large 5qt. dutch oven or pot, heat water/olive oil over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, onions and garlic, saute for 4 minutes. Add the herbs and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the green beans, tomatoes, potatoes, cabbage, and liquids, cover, bring to a boil. Remove lid, cabbage should be starting to shrink enough that you can give a good stir. Cover, turn heat to low and simmer for 20 – 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add more water if needed, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serves 4 – 6
Store: Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for 4 – 5 days. store covered. To keep longer, store in the freezer in freezer safe containers for 2 – 3 months.
Veg broth vs. water: Vegetable broth will yield the more robust and flavorful broth, but you can use water if needed. Just be sure to season well with salt and pepper. If using water, you may even want to add 1 teaspoon of onion and garlic powder for a fuller flavored broth.
Adjust veggies: Add more or less of any of the vegetables!
Add beans: The green beans add a good dose of protein, but a drained can of white beans or 1 ½ cups fresh cooked would be great too, adding to the nutritional profile.
Herb sub: In place of Italian seasoning, use 2 tsp. EACH dried oregano, basil, and thyme. Herbes de provence will also work.
Add pasta: For even more heartiness, add 8 ounces of cooked pasta such as shells, elbow, macaroni, rotini, fusilli, etc.
MORE COOKING METHODS
Instant Pot (6 qt.): Add the ingredients, except water/oil, to the bowl insert of your pressure cooker. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set the release valve to the SEALED position. Press the MANUAL button and set the timer at 3 minutes. Once finished, set valve to quick release or let it release pressure on its own (takes about 20 minutes). Remove lid. Season with salt & pepper taste.
Slow Cooker: Add the ingredients, except the water/oil, to the bowl of your crock pot. Cover with lid. Set on HIGH for 4 – 5 hours or LOW for 8 – 10 hours. Add water as needed. Season with salt & pepper to taste.