Healthy Vegan Oatmeal Pancakes are perfectly moist, fluffy, and amazingly delicious – especially topped with warm blueberry compote! It’s a quick and easy, WFPB recipe everyone will love!
Spruce up your weekend morning breakfast routine and delight your family with a batch of healthy vegan oatmeal pancakes!
They can be served simply with pure maple syrup, or brighten them up with a heaping of warm blueberry compote on top for a hearty and delicious meal.
And don’t just think pancakes can be served for breakfast. If you’re anything like me, you will enjoy them whenever the craving occurs – breakfast, lunch or dinner!
These oatmeal pancakes are quick and easy to make, and store well if you happen to have leftovers!
So without further ado, let’s get cooking!
Ingredients You’ll Need
In this recipe, flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, and vegan buttermilk is mixed into a batter, poured onto a hot griddle and cooked until fluffy on the inside and golden on the outside, creating a healthy breakfast that’s quick and easy to make.
Here is everything you will need, plus ingredient variations (measurements are in the recipe card below):
- flour – use spelt flour, all-purpose, whole wheat, 1-1 gluten-free, or combo
- oats – old fashioned or quick oats
- sugar – coconut, raw or pure cane sugar
- baking powder
- unsweetened almond milk – or use your favorite soy, oat, cashew or hemp milk
- vanilla – can be optional is using vanilla flavored milk
- lemon – acid used to make vegan buttermilk, can also sub with apple cider vinegar
How To Make Vegan Oatmeal Pancakes
(Note – The full printable recipe is at the bottom of this post)
- Preheat griddle or pan to medium heat.
- In a bowl, combine the plant milk with juice of 1/2 lemon.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add the vanilla and vegan buttermilk (or plant milk of choice) into the dry mixture, and blend until just combined.
- Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop and pour pancake mix onto a lightly greased griddle or skillet.
- Cook until bubbles form along the top and edges, about 2 to 3 minutes, bottom should be golden brown. Carefully flip and cook for another 2 minutes or so until golden brown underneath.
- Transfer pancakes to a baking sheet and place in preheated oven set to 200 degrees to keep warm until all pancakes are made.
And that’s it, vegan spelt and oat pancakes made healthy and easy.
Sometimes it’s good to change things up and adding blueberry compote is a welcome addition!
How To Store + Reheat
Oatmeal Pancakes can be stored in the fridge or freezer with these easy instructions. You can even make extra pancakes just to store for a quick and easy breakfast or snack.
- Refrigerator: Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for up to 7 days, in a covered container.
- Freezer: For longer storage, oatmeal pancakes will last for up to 2 – 3 months in the freezer. To freeze, let cool completely and store in sealed freezer safe containers or ziploc bags, removing as much as possible before sealing. You may want to separate each pancake with a piece of parchment paper.
- Reheat: To reheat, simply pop frozen or refrigerated pancakes in the toaster or toaster oven, they are sturdy enough for the toaster! Alternatively, microwave using 30 – 60 second intervals until warmed through (it does help to cover them to keep in moisture).
Adding a drizzle of pure maple syrup is a classic way to serve pancakes. Here a few other delicious options:
- Fresh fruits: Top with fresh blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and/or blackberries.
- Warm fruits: Serve topped with delicious warm and tender Cinnamon Apples or homemade Blueberry Compote.
- Flavored topping: Add a drizzle of vegan chocolate syrup, Sweet Cashew Cream, Triple Berry Chia Jam, or a dollop of whipped coconut cream.
More Vegan Breakfast Recipes
- Vegetable Vegan Frittata
- Vegan Blueberry Muffins
- Chickpea + Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash
- Chunky Cinnamon Apple Breakfast Cookies
- Healthy Cinnamon Oatmeal
- See all vegan breakfast recipes on TSV!
If you try this healthy oatmeal pancakes recipe or have a question, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
VEGAN OATMEAL PANCAKES
Vegan Oatmeal Pancakes with spelt flour (or your favorite) are perfectly moist and fluffy, and are amazingly delicious – thanks to the warm blueberry compote! It’s a healthy and satisfying way to start the day!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: Serves 2 - 4 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: griddle, stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 cup spelt flour (or all-purpose, whole wheat, or 1–1 GF)
- 1/2 cup oats (old fashioned or quick oats)*
- 1 tablespoon sugar (coconut, raw or pure cane sugar)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup vegan buttermilk (1 cup non-dairy milk + 1 tablespoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar)
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flax meal + 3 tablespoons water), optional
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil (or your favorite)
Flax egg (optional): If using a flax egg, place ingredients in small bowl and set aside for about 10 minutes to set. I have made pancakes many times without the need for an egg replacement, but you can think of it as added nutrition as flax meal is very good for you!
Vegan buttermilk: In a small bowl, add the milk and juice of 1/2 lemon, let rest for 5 – 10 minutes to curdle. This is optional, use plain plant milk if you prefer.
Preheat: Preheat griddle or pan to medium heat. If keeping pancakes warm, set oven to 200 degrees and place baking sheet in oven to warm.
Make batter: Combine the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Add the vanilla and vegan milk to the dry mixture, and blend until just combined.
Scoop and cook: Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop and pour pancake mix onto a lightly greased griddle or skillet. Cook until bubbles form along the top and edges, about 2 to 3 minutes, bottom should be golden brown. Carefully flip and cook for another 2 minutes or so until golden brown underneath.
Keep warm: Transfer pancakes to warm baking sheet and place in oven until all pancakes are made.
Makes about 8 small pancakes.
Serve: Serve warm with blueberry compote and pure maple syrup.
Serves 2 – 4
Store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 7 days in a covered container. For longer storage, keep in the freezer for 2 – 3 months. Reheat in toaster oven or microwave.
If you don’t care for whole oats in your pancakes (like my daughter), you can process them to be a finer consistency or use the quick oats since they are a bit smaller.
Make slightly larger pancakes using 1/3 cup measuring cup, will yield about 6.
If you don’t want to make pancakes, you can also use this recipe for waffles!
Updated: Vegan Oatmeal Pancakes was originally published in December 2012. It has been retested and updated with new photos and helpful tips in August 2020. The only change made was to the name, it was originally titled ‘Spelt + Oat Pancakes + Blueberry Compote’.