Cabbage Stir Fry – Asian inspired stir fried cabbage recipe with red bell pepper, carrots and green onions, seasoned with a light and flavorful sauce is a quick and easy, healthy vegan side dish or main meal ready in 30 minutes!
I saw a similar recipe from the NY Times and thought it needed to be put into the recipe collection. I didn’t go too far from the original recipe and only changed a few things while adding a little red pepper flakes because I love spiciness (feel free to omit this if you’re not a fan of spice).
This is an absolutely delicious and quick meal. It can be ready in about 30 minutes or so making it a perfect go-to recipe when you need something fast and healthy. Serve over rice, quinoa or noodles – or simply enjoy as is!
Ingredients You’ll Need
In this recipe, cabbage, red pepper, and carrots are stir fried and tossed with crispy tofu, and served with grain of choice for healthy vegan stir fry.
Here’s everything you’ll need. Plus, ideas and tips for ingredient substitutions.
- tofu – use firm, extra firm or high protein, can be optional
- red pepper flakes
- cabbage – savoy, green or napa cabbage
- red bell pepper
- green onions
- tamari – sub with low sodium soy sauce or coconut aminos
- rice wine vinegar
How To Make Cabbage Stir Fry
(Note – The full printable recipe is at the bottom of this post)
- Prep the veggies.
- Cook up your tofu.
- Stir-fry the garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes for 1 minute.
- Add the cabbage, red bell pepper and green onions, stir fry for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add the tamari, rice vinegar, and water, stir fry for 5 minutes or so, until cabbage softens and wilts.
- Season with salt, or garlic salt, and more tamari or rice vinegar to taste.
- Optionally, add the cooked tofu towards the end of cooking and cook until warmed through.
And now you’re ready to serve!
How To Store + Reheat
- Refrigerator: Store in the refrigerator 3 – 4 days in the refrigerator, in a covered container
- Freezer: This cabbage stir fry freezes well for up to 2 – 3 months. To freeze, let cool completely and store in freezer safe containers (affiliate link), leaving 1/2 inch head space for expansion. You can also freeze larger portions in large ziplock bags (remove as much air as possible before zip locking). Let thaw before reheating.
- Reheat: Simply re-warm on the stovetop over low heat until warmed through, adding a little tamari or veg broth for moisture as needed. Alternatively, reheat in the microwave using 30 – 60 second intervals, stirring after each, until warm.
Served as a side or main dish, this savory cabbage stir fry is versatile and pairs well with a variety of other flavors. Here are a few of my favorite options:
- Toppings: Top with sliced scallions, sesame seeds, red pepper flakes and fresh cilantro.
- Grain: Serve with jasmine rice, brown rice, black rice, or this Cilantro Lime Rice or Instant Pot Quinoa.
- Side: Would be great with a side of Kimchi!
- Soup: Pair with a small bowl of soup like this Roasted Garlic Miso Soup, Simple Miso Noodle Soup or Simple Vegan Pho.
- Salad: Pair with this fresh Chinese Chopped Salad.
More Easy Asian Recipes
- Vegetable Lo Mein (30-Minutes + Healthy)
- Vegan Tofu Poke Bowl
- Black Pepper Tofu
- Simple Vegan Pho
- Vegan Kimchi
- Tempeh Chow Mein
- See all vegan Asian recipes on TSV!
If you try this cabbage stir fry recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
SPICY CABBAGE STIR FRY
Cabbage stir fry is a quick and easy Asian inspired side dish ready in 30 minutes! Great with crispy tofu and side of quinoa, basmati or jasmine rice for a healthy, vegan main dish.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4 - 6 1x
- Category: Entree
- Method: stir fry
- Cuisine: Asian
- Diet: Vegan
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- 12 ounces organic tofu (firm or extra firm), cut into dominoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 – 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 small cabbage (about 1 1/2 lbs.), finely shredded (red, green or both)
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 carrot or 1 cup baby carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 4 green onions, sliced (reserve one green onion for garnish)
- 2 – 4 tablespoons tamari ,low sodium soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 – 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- salt + pepper, to taste
- sesame seeds
- scallions (green onions), thinly sliced
- grain of choice (soba or ramen noodles or quinoa, basmati or jasmine rice), optional
Crispy tofu: Cut the tofu into dominoes and press between paper towels or dish cloth. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan, add tofu and cook for 5 – 8 minutes on each side, until lightly golden in color. Season with salt and garlic powder (or garlic salt). Transfer tofu to a small plate.
Stir fry: Heat 14 inch wok or large skillet over medium- high heat, add 1 remaining tablespoon of oil, add garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute. Add cabbage, red bell pepper, carrots, green onions, tamari, rice vinegar and water, stir fry for 5 – 7 minutes, or until cabbage wilts and veggies soften. Add the tofu to the cabbage stir fry 2 minutes before done to warm through. Taste for seasoning, adding salt to taste.
Serve cabbage stir fry with cooked grain of choice and garnish with sesame seeds, green onions and/or cilantro.
Oil-Free: Make this oil free by using 1/4 cup water when stir frying the cabbage. If using a non-stick pan for cooking the tofu, you can omit the oil. Alternatively, bake the tofu on a lined baking sheet in a preheated oven set to 400 for 20 – 25 minutes.
Updated: Cabbage Stir Fry was originally published in February 2013. It has been updated with new photos and helpful tips in April 2020.