French toast, a classic breakfast or brunch food. But we know it’s great any time of day. I love French toast and this easy vegan Banana French Toast is healthy and does not disappoint!
Did you know, according to wikipedia, the earliest reference of French toast dates back to the 4th or 5th century and mentions soaking in milk, no eggs were used. It is perfectly possible, as you see here, to have wonderful eggless French toast.
And, as creative creatures we are, we have adopted different variations – like this Banana French Toast or this Orange-French Toast. I find both to be flavorful with great texture bite after bite.
This vegan french toast recipe uses heart healthy ingredients like banana, almond milk, cinnamon and vanilla making it wonderfully egg and diary free – nothing but simple goodness here. Oh, and they are so easy to make too!
And now for a little banana fun facts!
- The “banana tree” is not a tree at all. It is in fact, the world’s largest herb.
- Bananas are curved because they grow upside-down towards the sun.
- Feeling down? Bananas help ease depression with their high level of tryptophan, which is converted into serotonin (the good mood enhancer).
- Bananas are one of the most widely eaten fruits in the world. They are affordable and come in their own package making them an ideal option.
- Bananas also aid in digestion and are a great source of dietary fiber containing 16% of the recommended amount.
- They help against acid reflux, can help stabilize blood sugar in between meals and are a great source of vitamin B6.
Find more about banana’s from this article from Food Matters: 25 Powerful Reasons to Eat Bananas
Want to get more bananas into your life? Take a look at this Almond Chunky Monkey Ice Cream…it’s raw, no ice cream maker needed and has only four ingredients! It would make for another great breakfast option. :)
Now without further ado, let’s make this easy, vegan banana french toast!
When making my french toast, I love picking up a loaf of bread that I can slice into whatever thickness I want. I prefer my slices on the thicker side, leaving a soft pillowy center.
I happen to use a whole wheat artisan loaf here, but sourdough is a great choice too, with its extra tang. This recipe works great with other breads too. Try using cinnamon swirl bread for something extra special!
This is what your banana mixture will look like.
- Simply mash the banana in the bottom of a wide shallow dish, add milk and spices, give a good stir.
- Dip each slice of bread in the mixture, repeat on the other side, and place bread on heated griddle.
- Cook about 3 – 4 minutes per side, or until nice and golden on each side.
- Serve with pure maple syrup for a delicious and filling breakfast or brunch!
HEALTHY BANANA FRENCH TOAST
Banana french toast, a delicious way to start the day!
- 1 ripe banana
- 3/4 cup almond milk, or milk of choice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, or to taste
- dash of nutmeg, optional
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- coconut oil, for greasing
- French or sourdough loaf cut into any size you like, or use any bread you like (6 slices)
- pure maple syrup for serving
In a flat bottom, shallow medium size bowl mash the banana until creamy and fairly smooth. Add the cinnamon, vanilla and optional nutmeg, mix well. Lastly, add in the milk and stir until combined.
Heat your skillet or griddle on medium heat. While griddle is heating slice your bread and gather your serving items.
Using about 1 teaspoon of coconut oil, grease the griddle/skillet (do this each time you make add a new batch). Quickly dip bread into wet mixture and flip to coat the other side being not to not let the slices soak, or you may have soggy french toast. Place slices on griddle/skillet and cook about 3 minutes on each side, or until golden on both sides. If slicing into thick slices you may find that you’ll need a little extra time to completely cook the center. Serve with pure maple syrup and fresh fruit of choice.