Vegan Banana French Toast features heart healthy ingredients like banana, almond milk, cinnamon and vanilla for a wonderful eggless and dairy-free french toast the entire family will love!
French toast is a classic breakfast or brunch food, but we know it’s great any time of day. If you are a lover of french toast, this vegan Banana French Toast is easy to make and does not disappoint!
Contrary to the belief that you need eggs to make french toast, as you can see here it is perfectly possible to have wonderful eggless French toast. There’s nothing but simple whole food plant based goodness here and they are so easy to make!
And as creative creatures we are, we have adopted different variations – like this vegan Orange French Toast. Both are full of delicious flavor and texture, bite after bite.
Made with just 5 ingredients, it cooks up golden on the outside and pillowy soft on the inside. Ready in 20 minutes, it’s simply the best!
So without further ado, let’s go bananas and make something wonderful!
Here’s a look at everything you will need, including ingredient substitutions. Measurements can be found in the printable recipe card below.
- Banana. Use a very ripe banana for the best results. Not only will it be sweeter, but it will be soft and easy to mash.
- Plant milk. Use your favorite non-dairy milk, preferably unsweetened. I used oat milk here, but almond, cashew, soy, or coconut will all do great!
- Vanilla. You can omit the vanilla if using vanilla flavored non-dairy milk.
- Cinnamon. Adds a nice layer of flavor. Feel free to adjust to taste.
- Butter. Used for greasing the griddle. I use and recommend Miyoko’s. You can sub with oil of choice if preferred.
Best Bread For French Toast
When making vegan french toast I recommend picking up a loaf of bread that can be sliced at least ¾ inch thick, leaving a soft pillowy center. Regular sandwich slices tend to become soggy in the center.
For the recipe here I used a sourdough loaf because I love the extra tang. Whole grain artisan bread would be a great choice too! And for something extra special, try making french toast with cinnamon swirl bread or Banana Bread!
How To Make Vegan Banana French Toast
- Simply mash the banana in the bottom of a wide shallow dish, add the non-dairy milk and spices, give a good stir.
- Quickly dip each slice of bread in the mixture, repeat on the other side, and place bread on heated griddle.
- Cook about 3 – 4 minutes per side, or until nice and golden on each side.
And that’s it, vegan french toast made with banana – no eggs or dairy involved!
- Use thick sliced bread. For the best vegan french toast, use a thicker sliced bread for a perfect soft and pillowy center.
- Use a blender. For an ultra smooth batter, use a small blender to puree the ingredients together.
Banana french toast can be served with simple pure maple syrup and topped with fruit for a delicious and filling breakfast or brunch!
Here are a few of my favorite options:
- Serve with banana slices and drizzle of pure maple syrup
- Try topping with Blueberry Compote or Warm Skillet Cinnamon Apples.
- Add a light dusting of organic powdered sugar.
- Serve with fresh berries or mixed fruit on the side.
More Easy Breakfast Recipes!
- Orange French Toast
- Sweet Potato + Yukon Home Fries
- Classic Vegan Pancakes
- Vegan Blueberry Muffins
- Vegetable Vegan Frittata
Let me know if you try this vegan french toast recipe or have a question! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
VEGAN BANANA FRENCH TOAST
Vegan Banana french toast is made with healthy, whole food plant based ingredients and makes a scrumptious breakfast the whole family will love! Eggless and dairy-free recipe.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: Serves 3 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: griddle
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 large ripe banana
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk, or milk of choice
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, or to taste
- dash of nutmeg, optional
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- vegan butter or coconut oil, for greasing
- 6 slices of French or sourdough loaf, cut ¾ – 1 inch thick
- pure maple syrup, for serving
Preheat: Heat your skillet on medium heat or griddle to manufacturer’s instructions.
Bread: Slice your loaf of bread into ¾ – 1 inch thick slices.
Mix: In a flat bottom, shallow medium bowl mash the banana until creamy and fairly smooth. Add the cinnamon, vanilla, optional nutmeg, and milk, stir until combined.
Dip: Using about 1 teaspoon of butter or oil, grease the griddle/skillet (do this each time you add a new batch). Quickly dip bread into the wet mixture and flip to coat the other side (do not let the slices soak, or you may have soggy french toast).
Cook: Place french toast sliced on the griddle and cook for 3 – 4 minutes on each side, or until golden.
Serve with pure maple syrup and fresh fruit of choice.
If using regular sandwich bread, be sure to dip quickly on each side or you may end up with a soggy center.
For a smooth banana mixture, use a blender to mix the ingredients.
Nutritional values are estimates only. See our full nutrition disclosure here.
Updated: Banana Vegan French Toast was originally published in February 2013. It has been retested and updated with new photos and helpful tips in February 2021.