Tofu Ricotta – Nothing beats a fresh homemade batch of creamy ricotta that’s vegan and 100% dairy-free! Made with 7 simple ingredients, ready in 5 minutes and easily customizable using herbs or spinach!
I’ve been making this Cashew Ricotta for years and thought it was time to add a tofu-based vegan ricotta for those with nut allergies. And let me say, it’s absolutely amazing!
As much as I love my cashew ricotta, this tofu ricotta is just as wonderful with much less fat and calories. It’s perfect for those watching their numbers without losing any flavor.
This vegan tofu ricotta only requires 7 simple ingredients and is super quick and easy to make. Leave it plain or add fresh basil, parsley or chives to make deliciously herbed ricotta.
Use it for lasagna, stuffed shells, spreading on sandwiches and bagels, dip for veggies, as a pizza sauce, and more. It truly is a perfect dairy-free, nut-free, creamy plant-based tofu ricotta and can be used anywhere traditional ricotta is used!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Tofu is blended with umami, flavor enhancing ingredients creating a thick, spreadable vegan tofu ricotta cheese that can be used in a variety of ways.
Here is everything you’ll need:
- Tofu – soft, firm or extra-firm all work well. Some tofus are a little chalky tasting, so you’ll need to find the perfect brand for you.
- Nutritional yeast – feel free to omit if you don’t care for it.
- Mellow white miso – I love miso in this tofu ricotta as it adds umami, but you can opt to leave it out if needed. Miso can be found in most grocery stores in the refrigerated plant-based section.
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Lemon – sub with a little apple cider vinegar.
- Salt + pepper
How To Make Tofu Ricotta
- To make tofu ricotta, add crumbled tofu, miso, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper and lemon to the bowl of food processor or blender and blend until creamy, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
- Taste for spices adding anything you may like.
How To Make Tofu Ricotta with Spinach
Adding spinach to tofu ricotta is super easy and only takes a minute. Use frozen or fresh spinach, following these steps:
- Frozen: To make tofu ricotta with frozen spinach, simply chop frozen spinach that has been drained and squeezed (10 – 12 oz package). Add it to the finished ricotta and mix well.
- Fresh: To make tofu ricotta with fresh spinach, give the fresh spinach a rough chop and mix well by hand (use 6 oz. or so). The spinach will soften a bit as it’s mixed and left out. Alternatively, after tofu ricotta is done, add the spinach and pulse a few times.
How To Store Leftovers
Refrigerator: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, in a covered container. Just give it a good stir before using.
Freezer: Tofu ricotta is freezer friendly and can be stored in the freezer for up to 2 months. To freeze, simply place in freezer safe jars or containers, leaving ½ inch head space for expansion. Let thaw in the refrigerator before use.
So now onto the good stuff and how to use your freshly made tofu ricotta! Use anywhere ricotta is called for. Here are a few delicious options:
- The Ultimate Vegetable Vegan Lasagna
- Spinach & Ricotta Vegan Stuffed Shells
- Butternut Squash Stuffed Shells
- Persimmon Ricotta Scones
- Vegan White Pizza (zucchini flatbread)
- Zucchini Ricotta Pasta & Mint
- Simple Vegan Cheese Manicotti
- toss with raw or lightly steamed spiralized zucchini noodles
- or simply serve with crackers and fresh fruits and veggies!
More Easy How-To Recipes
If you try this vegan tofu ricotta recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
Made with only 7 simple plant-based ingredients, this Tofu Ricotta recipe is easy, healthy, and delicious! Perfect for vegan lasagna, stuffed shells, and more.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Total Time: 5 min
- Yield: Makes 2 cups 1x
- Category: Condiment
- Method: puree
- Cuisine: Vegan, American
- 1 block (14oz.) tofu, soft, firm or extra firm
- 1 – 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons mellow white miso
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- salt + pepper, to tate
- juice of 1 lemon
To make tofu ricotta, add crumbled tofu, miso, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper and lemon to the bowl of food processor or blender and blend until creamy, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed. Taste for spices adding anything you may like.
Makes about 2 cups.
Store: Leftovers can be kept in the refrigerator, in a covered container, for up to 5 days.
Keep in mind that some tofus once blended have a slight chalky taste. You’ll need to find the perfect brand for you.
Herbed Tofu Ricotta: Add a few tablespoons of chopped basil, parsley or chives, with the other ingredients to make an herb tofu ricotta.
For use when baking: Omit the nutritional yeast and go easy on the pepper.
Spinach Tofu Ricotta:
- Frozen: Simply chop frozen spinach that has been drained and squeezed (10 – 12 oz package). Add it to the finished ricotta and mixing well.
- Fresh: Give fresh spinach a rough chop and mix well (use 6 oz. or so) The spinach will soften a bit as it’s mixed and left out. Alternatively, add it the processor when done and give a few pulses.
Keywords: tofu ricotta, vegan tofu ricotta, tofu ricotta recipe