This Chipotle inspired vegan Burrito Bowl features black beans, cilantro lime rice, and fajitas with fresh homemade salsa, romaine lettuce and avocado for a deliciously healthy lunch, dinner or meal prep idea!
Hello, my foodie friends! I sure hope you’re not tired of all the delicious Tex-Mex and Mexican vegan recipes I’ve been sharing lately. I just happen to be on a roll and tex-mex is it! :)
And now, I have this Chipotle inspired burrito bowl to share with you. Let me tell you it’s delicious and I could eat one every day!
What is a burrito bowl you may ask?
Well, it’s the best parts of a burrito in a bowl. No carb or grain filled shell, just the inside of a burrito in a bowl. They are easy to make and can be customized however you like. Keep it simple, or go all out and load your burrito bowl with all the fixings!
Making chipotle style burritos in a bowl at home is a great way to save money and plan your meals ahead. The recipes included will make enough for at least 4 healthy meals, whether it’s lunch or dinner.
And I’m certain that no matter what meal of the day you plan on eating your burrito bowl, you’re going to love it!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Here are some of my favorite ingredients for making the best burrito bowls. Plus, tips and substitutions for ways to customize your favorite burrito bowl!
- Black Beans – Protein rich black beans are the ‘meat’ of this burrito bowl (pinto beans are great too). For ease, use canned. For full flavor, make these super tasty Instant Pot Black Beans from scratch (takes 1 hour or so). They store well, so if making a batch you may have leftovers for a couple of lunch or dinners. You may even prefer to use these homemade Quick & Easy Refried Beans made with canned beans or Instant Pot Refried Beans from scratch with dried beans.
- Chipotle Veggies – Keeping it simple, but flavorful, Chipotle style fajita veggies are a great addition to your burrito bowl. Use your favorite colored bell peppers and onion.
- Cilantro Lime Rice – In place of this Cilantro Lime Rice, switch it up and use cauliflower rice, brown rice, forbidden black rice, quinoa, or pre-cooked packaged rice.
- Leafy Greens – Add freshness and healthy roughage to your burrito bowl with leafy greens. Shredded romaine or iceberg lettuce is a great addition for crispness. Or use your favorite greens.
- Salsa – Both this homemade Fresh Corn Salsa and Pico de Gallo are fantastic in this recipe, and they’re easy to make too. For convenience, use premade pico de gallo or bottled salsa.
- Garnish – Avocado (mashed or sliced), lime wedges and a pinch of salt add a nice finishing touch. It doesn’t hurt to add a drizzle of hot sauce, tabasco or sriracha, either. If you prefer a bit of creamy drizzle, try this Vegan Sour Cream, Sriracha Cream Sauce or Chipotle Tahini Dressing. And if you love vegan cheese, feel free to add a sprinkle over the top as well!
How To Make Chipotle Burrito Bowl
The process of making chipotle style burrito bowls only takes a few simple steps. For the full recipe, see the recipe card for full instructions below.
- The Beans: Start with the beans, I usually make these ahead if making from scratch. If you’re making them fresh, the instant beans will take about 60 minutes to complete. If I don’t want to use homemade, open a can of black beans and simply drain and rinse them. Super easy!
- The Rice: The rice takes about 25 – 30 from start to finish so it’s a good idea to get that started after the beans, unless using canned than you can start with the rice.
- The Veggies: The fajitas only take about 15 minutes, including prep time, to finish. These can be made while the rice is cooking. You’ll simply saute them over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Assemble: To assemble your burrito bowls, in individual bowls, divi up the beans, rice, salsa, fajitas, along with a handful of shredded lettuce. Add a side of avocado, I usually use 1/4 of an avocado per bowl. Top with a squeeze of lime, pinch of salt and a dash of red pepper flakes.
Now all you have to do is enjoy to the fullest!
How To Meal Prep
- Prep all of your fresh ingredients and divide them into 4 meal prep containers.
- Cook the black beans, peppers and rice. Allow to cool and divide into the 4 containers.
- Store in the refrigerator for 4 – 5 days. Let come to room temp before eating.
More Easy Mexican Recipes
If you try this burrito bowl recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
VEGAN BURRITO BOWL
A chipotle inspired vegan burrito bowl with black beans, cilantro lime rice and veggies with avocado is super easy to put together and makes a delicious healthy lunch, dinner or make ahead meal!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: Makes 3 - 4 1x
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Vegan, Tex-Mex, Mexican
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 1/4 cup water for water saute
- 2 bell peppers (any color), cored and thinly sliced
- 1 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- pinch of mineral salt
The Beans: Start with the beans, I usually make these ahead if making from scratch. If you’re making them fresh, the Instant Po Black Beans will take about 60 minutes to complete. If I don’t want to use homemade, open a can of black beans and simply drain and rinse them.
The Rice: The Cilantro Lime Rice takes about 25 – 30 from start to finish so it’s a good idea to get that started after the beans, unless using canned beans than you can start with the rice.
The Veggies: The fajitas only take about 15 minutes, including prep time, to finish. These can be made while the rice is cooking.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil or water over medium heat. Add the onions, bell peppers, oregano and pinch of salt, and saute for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions and peppers are soft and tender. Remove from heat.
Assemble: To assemble your burrito bowls, in individual bowls add about 3/4 cup of rice, 3/4 cup of beans, 1/4 – 1/3 cup of corn salsa or pico de gallo, and 1/4 of the fajita mixture, along with a handful of shredded lettuce. Add a side of avocado (mashed or sliced), I usually use 1/4 of an avocado per bowl. Top with a squeeze of lime, pinch of salt and a dash of red pepper flakes.
Store: All the leftover components can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 – 4 days. Store individually or together (as for meal prep).
Keywords: vegan burrito bowl