Vegan Burrito is stuffed with a black bean + corn sofrito mix, rice (or quinoa), guacamole and crisp shredded lettuce for a deliciously healthy Tex-Mex style lunch or dinner!
Made with simple ingredients and full of flavor, this quick and easy vegan burrito recipe is one that everyone will love!
Inspired by my Black Bean + Quinoa Freezer Burritos, which is just as delicious, I’ve changed it up slightly adding a grain on the side and lots of extra condiments in the filling.
And if you happen to have leftovers, they store incredibly well and can be reheated for a quick and easy snack or entree.
Feeling like a deconstructed burrito, try this amazingly, easy Chipotle style Vegan Burrito Bowl instead!
Ingredients You’ll Need
In this recipe, onion, bell pepper, tomato, green chili and flavorful spices are made into a sofrito and combined with black beans and corn for a delicious vegan burrito filling that’s rolled in a tortilla with rice, lettuce, avocado, and whatever other condiments you like.
Here is everything you will need:
- black beans – canned or fresh cooked
- corn – canned, frozen or fresh off the cob
- sofrito – onion, green bell pepper, diced tomatoes and diced green chilis
- spices – includes cumin, chili powder, optional chipotle powder and garlic powder
- tortillas – use flour or your favorite gluten free tortillas
- grain – use your favorite grain, ie white rice, brown rice, Cilantro Lime Rice, or quinoa
- lettuce – shred fresh lettuce or romaine, for ease use pre-shredded lettuce
- cilantro + lime – can be optional, but adds a nice finishing touch
- condiments – guacamole, slice avocado, pico de gallo, vegan sour cream or salsa are all terrific
How To Make Vegan Burritos
(Note – The full printable recipe is at the bottom of this post)
- Black Bean + Corn Sofrito: Saute the onion and bell pepper for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, green chilies or jalapeno, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and salt, and continue to cook another 4 – 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the black beans and corn, cook a few more minutes until warmed through.
- Layer + Roll: Place tortillas on a flat surface, down the center, leaving a few inches at each end, layer with 1/2 cup of black bean mix, then shredded lettuce, guacamole, and finish with 1/2 cup of rice. Fold each of the short end pieces up towards the center, holding the flaps down, roll the edge closest to you up and over, and continue to roll the burrito away from you to completely close it.
And now my friends, you’re ready to enjoy!
How To Store
- Refrigerator: Leftovers can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 6 – 7 days. Store wrapped in ziplock bags, foil, or keep them in an airtight container.
- Freezer: These vegan burritos will keep in the freezer for 1 – 2 months. To freeze, you’ll want to omit the lettuce and the avocado as they don’t freeze well. Simply stuff the burritos with the sofrito bean + corn mix and rice and wrap them up in parchment paper sandwich bags, tin foil or ziplock freezer bags. Either let thaw in the refrigerator or reheat from frozen.
How To Reheat
- Refrigerated: To reheat burritos kept in the refrigerator, place burrito in a preheated oven set to 350 degrees for 15 – 20 minutes in a covered oven safe dish or wrap in foil. Alternatively, heat in the microwave for about 1 minute (remove any foil before adding to the microwave).
- From frozen: To reheat from frozen, place in an oven set to 350 degrees for 30 minutes in a covered oven safe dish or wrap in foil. Alternatively, heat on high in the microwave for about 2 minutes (always remove foil before heating in the microwave).
These hearty vegan burritos are savory, filling and can be easily changed up keeping them versatile and fresh. Here are few of my favorite options:
- Instead of plain rice, try using this Cilantro Lime Rice for an extra flavor boost.
- Change up the black bean + corn sofrito filling, using Instant Pot Refried Beans, Quick + Easy Refried Beans or Instant Pot Black Beans instead.
- It’s great served with sliced avocado or Homemade Guacamole.
- Serve with Fresh Corn Salsa, Pico de Gallo, Tomatillo Salsa Verde, or your favorite salsa.
- Top your vegan burrito with a delicious creamy condiment such as this Cashew Sour Cream, Cilantro-Lime Cashew Cream, Chipotle Tahini Dressing, or Cumin-Lime Tahini Dressing.
- Serve with an appetizer like this Vegan Queso and small bowl of this green Vegan Pozole or for an extra hearty meal!
More Easy Tex-Mex Recipes
- Vegan Black Bean Tacos
- Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- Quick + Easy Portobello Fajitas
- Vegan Enchiladas Verde
- Grilled Baja Tofu Tacos
- See all vegan Tex-Mex recipes on TSV!
If you try this easy burrito recipe or have a question, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
Vegan Burrito filled with a Mexican inspired black bean + corn sofrito mix, rice, avocado and lettuce is the BEST! It’s a delicious, quick and easy snack, lunch or dinner!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: Makes 6 burritos 1x
- Category: Entree
- Method: saute
- Cuisine: Mexican, Tex-Mex
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 cup dried rice (white or brown) or quinoa
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1 can (14oz) fired roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (4oz) diced green chilies, drained or 1 large jalapeno, seeds removed and diced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder, optional
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 can (9oz) corn (about 1 cup), drained
- 1 can (14oz) black beans (about 1 1/2 cups), drained and rinsed
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup cilantro, loosely packed
- 6 large flour tortillas (or your favorite GF tortillas)
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- guacamole or sliced avocado, optional
Grain: Cook your grain according to package directions and set aside.
Black Bean + Corn Sofrito: In a large pan or pot, heat oil/water over medium heat, add onion and bell pepper, saute for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, green chilies or jalapeno, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and salt, mix well and continue to cook another 4 – 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the black beans and corn, cook a few minutes until warmed through. Stir in the cilantro. Taste for seasoning.
Layer + Roll: Place tortillas on a flat surface, down the center, leaving a few inches at each end, layer with 1/2 cup of black bean mix, then shredded lettuce, guacamole, and finish with 1/2 cup of rice. Fold each of the end pieces up towards the center, holding the flaps down, roll the edge closest to you up and over, and continue to roll the burrito away from you to completely close it.
Serve with condiments of choice.
Makes 6 grande burritos
Store: Leftovers can be stored in a covered container, wrapped in foil or baggies and kept in the refrigerator for up to 6 days. For longer storage, they freeze well for up to 2 – 3 months (store without lettuce or avocado for best results).