Quinoa Fried Rice – This quick and easy veggie packed quinoa stir fry recipe is perfect for a healthy lunch, dinner or make ahead meals! Ready and on the table in about 30 minutes!
Vegetable quinoa fried ‘rice’ is a fantastic twist on a classic! Quinoa takes the place of rice in this classic Asian inspired side dish.
This is one of those recipes that will make it into the meal rotation consistently. As I’m always looking for ways to make my dishes more nutrient dense, this was a great recipe using quinoa in place of rice anding more protein and fiber.
Another reason quinoa is so great is that it comes out of the fridge the next day as well as it went in. And, it tastes just as good warm as it does cold. Unlike rice, that hardens and doesn’t reheat very well, at least for my liking.
Quinoa is, and always will be, a staple in my kitchen. And so will this quinoa fried ‘rice’!
Ingredients You’ll Need
This quinoa fried rice with vegetables can go any way you like – add/subtract whatever you want – it’s my favorite kind of cooking.
- Green onion
- Bell pepper
- Sesame oil
- Garlic powder
How To Make Quinoa Fried Rice
Making this quinoa and veggie recipe is easy as can be!
- Cook your quinoa either on the stovetop or using this fail-proof Instant Pot Quinoa.
- While the quinoa is cooking, prep the veggies.
- Once the quinoa is about ready start stir-frying the vegetables.
- Add the cooked quinoa to the stir-fried vegetables.
- Mix together and continue cooking until warmed through and you’re done!
- Season to taste with salt, a little sriracha or tamari.
And now you’re ready to dine!
I guarantee you will love this as much as I do. I can easily eat this to myself given the opportunity!
How To Store Leftovers
- Refrigerator: Leftovers will keep for 5 – 6 days in the refrigerator, stored in a covered container.
- Freezer: This Quinoa Fried Rice is freezer friendly and freezes well for up to 2 – 3 months. To freeze, let cool completely and store in freezer safe containers (affiliate link), leaving ½ inch head space for expansion. You can also freeze larger portions in large ziplock bags (remove as much air as possible before zip locking). Let thaw before reheating.
- Reheat: Simply re-warm on the stovetop over low heat until warmed through, adding a little tamari so it doesn’t stick to the pan. Alternatively, reheat in the microwave using 30 – 60 second intervals, stirring after each, until warm.
This savory veggie and quinoa stir fry can be eaten solo or paired with another dish for a hearty meal. Here are a few of my favorite serving options:
- Tofu + Tempeh: Serve with baked tofu or tempeh, or this Grilled Tofu + Asparagus.
- Stir-fry: Serve with this Kung Pao Tofu, Black Pepper Tofu or Mushroom, Bell Pepper and Basil Stir Fry.
- Soup: Pair with a soup like this Simple Miso Noodle Soup or Simple Vegan Pho.
- Noodles: Serve with this delicious Tempeh Chow Mein or Vegetable Lo Mein.
- Salad: Pair with this fresh Chinese Chopped Salad.
More Ways To Use Quinoa
- Vegetable Quinoa Soup
- Spicy Black Bean & Quinoa Burritos
- Spicy Quinoa Lentil Wraps
- See all vegan quinoa recipes using on TSV!
If you try this quinoa fried rice recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
QUINOA FRIED RICE WITH VEGETABLES
Healthy Quinoa Fried Rice with vegetables is another wonderful use of quinoa replacing the traditional rice! Great alone or with crispy baked tofu.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4 - 6 1x
- Category: Entree, Side
- Method: stir-fry
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1 cup dried quinoa, rinsed
- 1 ¾ cups water or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup corn
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced (green and white parts)
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- ½ cup bell pepper (any color), cored and diced
- ½ cup basil, chopped, optional
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons tamari, coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 2 – 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- salt + pepper to taste
- sriracha hot sauce, red pepper flakes or dash of cayenne pepper, to taste
Quinoa: Rinse your quinoa in a fine mesh sieve under cool running water. In medium sauce pan combine quinoa with 1 ¾ cups water or vegetable broth, bring to a boil, simmer covered for 15 minutes. Once done, remove cover and let set for another 10 minutes to soak up the excess water. Fluff with a fork and set aside. (Or use this fail-proof Instant Pot Quinoa recipe)
Veggies: In wok or large skillet, heat oil over medium high, add vegetables and stir fry for 1 minute or so. Add tamari, garlic powder and other seasonings to taste. Cook for another 3 – 4 minutes stirring occasionally, use a lid if needed to help soften the vegetables a bit.
Combine: Add in quinoa to the veggie mixture, turn heat to high, cook another 3 – 5 minutes stirring constantly adding a drizzle of oil if mixture seems too dry.
Serve warm. Top with a little sriracha or tamari if you like.
Serves 4 – 6
I added a few drops of sriracha while adding the garlic powder and tamari, a little goes a long way. This dish doesn’t need a lot of seasoning, I felt that the tamari alone would’ve been enough.
Feel free to use any assortment of vegetables, and be sure to use as much or as little as you like of each vegetable. Try snow peas, broccoli, sweet peas, bean sprouts and/or celery for variety. I always feel you can almost never have too many vegetables!
Use thawed frozen vegetables of choice for convenience.
Add some extra firm cubed tofu in with the vegetables for added protein.
Keywords: quinoa fried rice
Updated: Quinoa Fried Rice was originally published in July 2012. It has been retested and updated with new photos and helpful tips in February 2020. Recipe has stayed the same and is still delicious!