BLACK BEAN + QUINOA BURRITOS (VEGAN FREEZER BURRITOS)
Spicy Black Bean and Quinoa Burritos are super easy to make vegan freezer burritos loaded with veggies, quinoa and black beans for a delicious meal prep idea and brown bag lunches!
I love the idea of batch cooking for freezing or refrigerating for lunch or dinner throughout the week. When I ran across the idea for vegan freezer burritos it was a must add to the recipe collection!
These tasty vegan burritos are filled with protein rich black beans and quinoa, colorful veggies and flavorful spices. They are a cinch to make, ready in about 30 minutes and you’ll be glad you have plenty to store away for later.
With simple, accessible ingredients that all come together and taste delicious, it’s just the kind of recipe I like to have handy and share. I could eat these black bean and quinoa burritos all day, every day!
Ingredients You’ll Need
In this recipe, black beans and quinoa are mixed with cooked veggies and rolled in tortillas for a quick and easy freezer friendly vegan burritos that are guaranteed to please!
Here is everything you will need, plus a few ideas for substituting ingredients:
- dried quinoa – Use your favorite, I used tri-blend
- red onion – or use whatever you have on hand
- orange bell pepper – or any color will do
- tomatoes – diced canned or a couple fresh tomatoes both work
- zucchini – can sub with yellow squash
- black beans
- corn – canned or fresh off the cob
- spices – includes cumin, chili powder, chipotle powder, garlic + onion powder, and salt
So gather your ingredients and let’s get cooking!
How To Make Black Bean & Quinoa Burrito Filling
The hardest part is prepping the veggies, but once done it’s easy as can be!
(Note – The full printable recipe is at the bottom of this post)
- Start with cooking the quinoa.
- Then drain the beans and corn.
- Dice the veggies and gather the spices.
- Saute the onion and bell pepper, add the zucchini, corn, tomatoes and spices.
- Add the black beans and cooked quinoa, and cook until warmed through.
There you have it, an easy and most delicious black bean and quinoa vegan burrito filling!
How To Make Vegan Freezer Burritos
- Once the filling is ready, lay the tortilla on a flat surface.
- Spread 3/4 – 1 cup of vegan burrito filling in the center.
- To fold, simply fold each end slightly and roll lengthwise.
I was able to get 8 small/medium sized burritos.
How To Store & Freeze Burritos
- Refrigerator: Wrap them up in ziplock bags or keep them in an airtight container. They will keep in the refrigerator for up to 6 – 7 days.
- Freezer: I used parchment paper sandwich bags, the burritos nestled perfectly and I was able to fold over the top and roll it around. You can also wrap them in tin foil or ziplock freezer bags. They will keep in the freezer for 1 – 2 months.
How To Reheat
- Refrigerated: To reheat burritos kept in the refrigerator, place burrito in a preheated oven set to 350 degrees for 15 – 20 minutes in a covered oven safe dish or wrap in foil. Alternatively, heat in the microwave for about 1 minute (remove any foil before adding to the microwave).
- From frozen: To reheat vegan freezer burritos, place in frozen burrito in a preheated oven set to 350 degrees for 30 minutes in a covered oven safe dish or wrap in foil. Alternatively, heat on high in the microwave for about 2 minutes (always remove foil before heating in the microwave).
- It’s great served with sliced avocado or Homemade Guacamole.
- Serve with Pico de Gallo or your favorite salsa.
- Pair it with a delicious creamy condiment such as this Cashew Sour Cream, Cilantro-Lime Cashew Cream, Chipotle Tahini Dressing, or Cumin-Lime Tahini Dressing.
More Freezer-Friendly Recipes
- Spinach and Ricotta Stuffed Vegan Shells
- Applesauce Waffles
- Vegan Snickerdoodles
- Chickpea Tikka Masala
- Vegan Potato Leek Soup
If you try this vegan freezer burritos recipe or have a question, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
BLACK BEAN + QUINOA BURRITOS (VEGAN FREEZER BURRITOS)
Vegan freezer burritos with black beans and quinoa are the BEST! Loaded with veggies and protein packed, they are an easy freezer-friendly meal so you can eat some now and save some for later.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: Makes 6 - 8 burritos 1x
- Category: Entree
- Method: boil, saute
- Cuisine: Mexican, Tex-Mex
- Diet: Vegan
- 1/2 cup dried quinoa
- 3/4 cup + 1 or 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1/4 cup water (for water saute)
- 1/2 large red onion, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeds removed and diced
- 1 can (14oz) diced tomatoes, drained (or 2 roma tomatoes, seeds removed and diced)
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 2 cans (14 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14 oz) corn, drained
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 – 1 teaspoon chipotle powder or 2 – 4 chipotles in adobe sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- mineral salt, to taste
- 6 – 8 medium/large tortillas
- sliced avocado
- salsa of choice
Quinoa: In a small/medium pot, combine the quinoa and water, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 13 minutes. Remove lid, let set 10 minutes, fluff with a fork. Set aside.
Filling: In a large pan or pot, heat oil/water over medium heat, add onion and saute for 4 minutes, add bell pepper and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, zucchini and corn, cook another 3 minutes or so (cook veggies until they are as soft as you like, I prefer mine to be a little al dente). Add the black beans, quinoa, cilantro, cumin, chipotle, garlic & onion powder, and salt, continue to cook until heated through.
Roll: Place tortillas on a flat surface, place a mound of the filling in the center, leaving room all the way around, fold in half, fold up each end, and roll the burrito away from you to completely close it.
Freeze: I try to avoid foil, so here I used paper sandwich bags. Feel free to use foil, freezer paper, saran wrap, plastic freezer ziploc bags or whatever you’re used to freezing with. If using the paper sandwich bags, they should be eaten within a few weeks to avoid freezer burn. Most likely they won’t be around that long!
Reheat: If at room temperature, warm in the oven/toaster oven at 375 degrees F for 10 minutes or so, or microwave for 30 seconds. If frozen heat in the oven at 375 degrees for 30 minutes, or microwave for 1:30 – 2 minutes.
Serve with sliced avocado and your favorite salsa (I paired mine with a hatch chili salsa). You may also like to pair it with any of these condiments: Cashew Sour Cream, Cilantro-Lime Cashew Cream, Chipotle Tahini Dressing, Cumin-Lime Tahini Dressing, Pico de Gallo, or Homemade Guacamole.
Enjoy these flavorful vegan freezer burritos!
The more chipotle peppers, the hotter it will be so adjust according to your taste.
If you don’t like chipotle, try subbing in smoked paprika instead.
FOLLOW TSV on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest or RSS for more updates and inspiration!
Very delicious! I have been looking for healthy recipes and am glad I found this one.
I found these burritos to be especially tasty and delicious. Everyone that had eaten them has requested the recipe. Thank you for sharing.
I am planning to make them soon, would this work in the air fryer from frozen? if so, what temp. and for how long?
or would I microwaving them and then putting them in the air fryer ?
Made it!! Soooo delicious!
I froze them and tried both ways: I definitely recommend microwaving them for about two min, and then air frying them for the crispy taste! Sooo good!! I will definitely make them again soon.
Incredibly delicious – I ate these for days in a row and then wished I had more!
Yes, they are that good! :) Thanks for sharing, Mo!