Almond Chunky Monkey Ice Cream
Vegan Chunky Monkey is a dairy-free ice cream made with just 4 simple ingredients and ready in minutes for a healthy and delicious soft-serve dessert!
We love using bananas as a base for ice creams like this Maple Butter Pecan Ice Cream, Banana Coconut Ginger Ice cream, or Banana Cherry Garcia Soft Serve.
I was just gifted a new food processor, and what better way to break it in than by making vegan chunky monkey ice cream using 4 ingredients!
Needless to say, it was delicious, super healthy, and so much better than the Ben & Jerry’s version any day. :)
Why We Love This Recipe!
- No ice cream maker required! This easy no-churn vegan ice cream is great when you don’t have an ice cream maker or just don’t want to pull it out. All you do is simply blend and enjoy!
- Refined sugar-free. Bananas act as a natrual sweetener, and you won’t miss a thing. It’s perfectly balanced and not overly sweet!
- Nutritious. Full of nutrients, healthy fats, and 100% dairy-free, this whole food plant based ice cream is a perfect alternative to dairy filled ice creams.
When the weather heats up or you simply have a craving for ice cream, this dairy-free soft serve is just what you need!
- Banana – Use overripe frozen bananas. I like to break up my overripe bananas into 1 – 2 inch peices and place them in a sealed container to freeze. That way you always have them handy!
- Nut Butter – I used almond butter here, but any type of nut butter will do and adds a wonderful creaminess. You can use both creamy or chunky. See tips below for nut-free version.
- Almonds – I used raw whole almonds that I roughly chopped. Slivered almonds would be great too. Feel free to use toasted almonds if you prefer!
- Chocolate – Use your favorite chocolate bar chopped up or chocolate chips. Semi-sweet chocolate is typically vegan and non-dairy, but be sure check the label just in case.
How To Make Vegan Chunky Monkey
Making vegan chunky monkey is easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Start with adding the frozen bananas and nut butter to the bowl of a food processor or blender.
- Blend until creamy, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
- Serve in a bowl or cup with chopped almonds and chocolate.
It’s simple, straightforward, and best of all – delicious!
- Enjoy right away as a soft serve or freeze to harden like ice cream. To freeze, store in sealed freezer-safe containers. It will take about 6 hours to fully harden and will last for up to 2 – 3 months.
- Serve in chilled bowls or glasses.
- Make it nut-free. For those with nut allergies, substitute the nut butter with sunflower butter (or sun butter) and omit the chopped almonds.
More Non-Dairy Ice Creams!
If you are a fan of easy no-churn ice creams, check out these other versions. You may find a new favorite!
- Vegan Banana Cherry Garcia Soft Serve
- Maple Butter Pecan Ice Cream
- Raw Chocolate Banana Ice Cream
- Banana Coconut Ginger Ice Cream
If you try this non-dairy chunky monkey recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
Vegan Almond Chunky Monkey Ice Cream
Thick, creamy, and delicious, Vegan Almond Chunky Monkey soft serve is a straightforward and non-dairy no-churn ice cream that’s easy to make!
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: Serves 2 – 3 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: food processor, blender
- Cuisine: Vegan American
- 3 frozen bananas, cut into chunks
- 3 tablespoons almond butter, or any nut butter of choice
- 1/4 cup almonds, cut in half
- dark chocolate, either in chips or bars broken into pieces*
In a food processor (or blender), place frozen banana pieces and almond butter, blend until a fairly smooth consistency stopping every now and then to scrape down the sides and push the mixture to the bottom of the processor.
Serve in bowls and top with, or incorporate, the chocolate pieces and almonds while blending, use as much as you like.
Serves 2 – 3
Enjoy right away as a soft serve or freeze to harden like ice cream. To freeze, store in sealed freezer-safe containers. It will take about 6 hours to fully harden. Will last for up to 2 – 3 months.
Enjoy this nut-free. For those with nut allergies, substitute the nut butter with sunflower butter (or sun butter) and omit the chopped almonds.
To make 100% raw use raw cocoa chips…find the recipe here.
Try adding a scoop or two of vanilla or chocolate flavor protein powder to really boost the nutritional profile!
If using a blender, you may need to add a splash or two of unsweetened almond milk as well to help get the mixture moving.
Updated: This recipe was originally published in December 2012. It has been retested and updated with new photos and helpful tips in July 2021.
FOLLOW TSV on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, or RSS for more updates and inspiration!
I absolutely love this recipe! I don’t care that its winter, I will eat this ice cream all year!
So easy and delicious!
My overripe bananas always end up in Martha Stewart’s banana bread but my daughter went vegan on me so I am trying to be creative. I found your website this morning and made this for dessert tonight – so good! I chopped up some of Trader Joe’s dark chocolate and almond Pound Plus and was A-mazing! Thank you!
So glad you both enjoyed it! It’s so simple and easy, with great results. Cheers :)
So easy and delicious!