Healthy apple nachos layered with fresh apples, bits of chocolate, coconut flakes, and drizzled with gooey, warm nut butter and sprinkle of cinnamon. They are my new favorite quick & healthy treat!
Ready in under 5 minutes, apple nachos make a great snack, breakfast or light lunch. They are a well loved classic loved by kids and adults alike!
Apple nachos are an easy way to get in a good dose of protein too, easily giving you about 8 grams for every 2 tablespoons of nut butter you use. Not too bad at all!
Gather some of your favorite apples and get ready to enjoy a simple, healthy and delicious treat. They are naturally vegan, gluten free, grain free and WFPB!
Ingredients You’ll Need
In this recipe, sliced apples are drizzled with nut butter and topped with an assortment of flavorful toppings for a quick and easy vegan snack everyone will love.
Here is everything you need, plus ideas for variations (find the measurements in the recipe card below):
- Apples – Use your favorite apples, green or red. I love my sweet, crisp fuji apples, so that is what i used here, but tart green apples will be great too!
- Peanut butter – Use creamy or crunchy. Also, Almond Butter, sunflower butter or your favorite nut butter would be great too.
- Chocolate chips – You can opt for mini chocolate chips like I used here. Also, cacao nibs or carob chips are a healthy option.
- Shredded coconut – use unsweetened or toasted would be delicious too. Not a fan of coconut, feel free to omit it.
- Cinnamon – a dash adds a nice warm flavor and pairs well with everything!
- Lemon or lime – This is optional, but will help to keep the apples from browning.
How To Make Apple Nachos
(Note – The full printable recipe is at the bottom of this post)
- Prep the apples. Wash and dry the apples. Cut them into quarters and remove the core. Slice the quarters into thin slices, about ¼ – ½ inch.
- Drizzle with lemon juice. This is optional, but you can drizzle lemon or lime juice over the apple, mixing them to coat, to keep the apples from browning.
- Layer apples on a serving plate. If you can circle your apples similar to what you see above, you’ll be sure to have a little of everything on each apple slice without causing too much mess when eating. Although, I sure didn’t mind liking my fingers clean, and I’m sure you won’t mind either!
- Top with remaining ingredients. Warm the nut butter and drizzle in a circular motion over the apple slices. Top with shredded coconut, chocolate chips, and any other topping you like. Add a dash or two of cinnamon overtop.
And that’s it, now you’re ready to enjoy this simple and wholesome snack!
How To Store + Meal Prep
- Refrigerator: Leftover nachos can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 – 4 days in a covered container.
- Meal prep: Apple nachos are great for meal prep! I would use the lemon when prepping the apples to keep them from browning during storage. To meal prep, simply layer apples in multi-use containers (affiliate link), and layer as directed with topping for a quick and easy, grab-n-go snack or light meal.
More Healthy Snack Recipes
- Chocolate Peanut Butter No Bake Cookies
- Stuffed Avocados
- Cranberry Almond Energy Bites
- Peanut Butter & Cacao Nib Rice Krispy Treats
- Vanilla Chia Pudding
- See all the Snack ideas on TSV!
If you try this healthy apple nacho recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
HEALTHY APPLE NACHOS (5-MINUTE)
Apple Nachos features fresh apple slices drizzled with natural nut butter and topped with chocolate chips, shredded coconut, slivered almonds and cinnamon. So healthy and good!
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Total Time: 5 min
- Yield: Serves 1 - 2 1x
- Category: Snack
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 2 apples of choice
- ¼ – ⅓ cup natural nut butter (peanut, almond, sunflower, etc.)
- small handful chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life Mini Chips)
- small handful shredded coconut
- small handful slivered almonds, optional
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- hemp hearts
- cacao nibs
- raisins or currants
- ground cardamom
- pure maple syrup
Apples: Wash, core and cut your apples into ¼ inch slices. I like to cut mine into quarters, take a small paring knife and carefully remove the core and upper and lower end where dirt may still be collected (even after washing). Lay apple quarters on a flat surface with the inside of the apple facing up, carefully slice your apple into ¼ inch slices, even ½ inch slices is good too. Whatever thickness you prefer, no rules here! Place apple slices in a small bowl with the lemon juice, toss to coat.
Nut butter: Heat your nut butter just until warmed and somewhat runny. I like to heat mine by using a small silicon bowl placed in a small pot with just enough water to reach half way up the side of the silicon bowl, heat water on low and gently heat the nut butter until warm and drizzable. Alternatively, warm in the microwave for 20 – 30 seconds.
Assemble: On a serving plate, lay your apple slices in a single layer around the outside edge, then layer another small layer over those but towards the inside center of the plate (like shown in the picture above). Drizzle the nut butter in a circular motion, from the middle of the plate to the outside edge. You can also just zig zag the almond butter from one side to the other if you like. Again, no rules – just do what you feel is best! Top with chocolate chips, coconut flakes, almonds and sprinkle of cinnamon (or whatever you’ve chosen to use as your toppings).
Serves one generously, or two as a small plate.
Enjoy this simple yet delicious treat!
Use red or green apples, you may even consider using one of each for a combination of sweet & tart.
Make this 100% raw by using raw nut butters, raw cacao chips and unsweetened shredded coconut.
Nutritional values are estimates only. See our full nutrition disclosure here.
Updated: Apple Nachos was originally published in July 2014. It has been retested and updated with new photos and helpful tips in June 2020.