Mediterranean inspired Greek Kale Salad loaded with fresh kale and veggies is hearty, healthy and so easy to make!
This vegan Mediterranean Kale Salad recipe is simple, accessible, not too expensive and good for you! Loaded with red bell pepper, cucumber, red onion, olive, tomato and chickpea, and dressed up with a light vinaigrette and nice dollop of hummus, it’s so colorful healthy and delicious.
Summer in California is really setting in, the temperatures are rising and salads are always welcome on these hot days! Similar to the Everyday Nourish Bowl, we now have another option of whole hearted goodness, with the flavors of the mediterranean, to choose from when a craving for salads occur!
Mediterranean Greek Kale Salad
- red bell pepper
- red onion
- cherry tomatoes
- kalamata olives
- chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- hummus, optional (but so good!)
- fresh parsley
- red wine vinegar
- dijon mustard
- dried oregano, optional
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper
Tips & Variations
The dollop of hummus was an after thought, and a delicious addition to the salad. Although It adds such nice creaminess and rounds out the salad well.
If you find raw kale too hard to eat, even after letting it relax in lemon juice, a dollop of hummus will definitely do a world of good for you. It will help mask some of kale’s bitterness.
In place of red wine vinegar, try subbing with apple cider or white wine vinegar.
This dressing for this mediterranean kale salad can easily be made oil free by using replacing it with lemon juice, vinegar or water.
How To Make Mediterranean Kale Salad
- Marinate the kale, this is also known as massaging kale. Remove the stems from the center of the kale leaves, julienne the kale leaves and place in a medium size bowl, with the juice of 1 large lemon, toss to coat the leaves and let set while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. The lemon juice will help soften the kale leaves, at least 10 – 15 minutes is good. Toss every few minutes or so to incorporate the lemon juice.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the red wine vinegar, lemon dijon, olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper until emulsified. It usually takes me about one minute, set aside.
- Once you’ve prepped your other ingredients you’re ready to assemble your kale salad. In a serving dish, add kale and top with bell pepper, onion, cucumber, tomatoes, olives and chickpeas. Add your vinaigrette over top and a dollop of hummus anywhere you like.
And there you have it, a delicious and refreshing, healthy, vegan kale salad for lunch, dinner or make ahead meal!
If you try this easy kale recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.
MEDITERRANEAN KALE SALAD
A healthy Greek kale salad with chickpeas, olives and other mediterranean flavors. Dressing can be made oil-free!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: Serves 1 1x
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Vegen
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and julienned
- 1 large lemon, juice of
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/8 small red onion, sliced
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half or campari tomatoes, quartered
- 1/3 cup kalamata olives, pitted
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- dollop of hummus, optional (but so good!), to serve
- fresh chopped parsley, to serve
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (apple cider or white wine vinegar is ok too)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 heaping teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, optional
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper, to taste
Marinate the kale: Remove the stems from the center of the kale leaves, as least the thickest parts. Julienne kale leaves and place in a medium size bowl, add lemon juice, mix to coat the leaves and let set while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. The lemon juice will help soften the kale leaves. Toss every few minutes or so.
Dressing: In a small bowl, add the ingredients for the vinaigrette. Whisk together until emulsified. It usually takes me about one minute, set aside.
Assemble: Once you’ve prepped your other ingredients you’re ready to assemble your salad. In a serving dish, add kale and top with bell pepper, onion, cucumber, tomatoes, olives and chickpeas. Add your vinaigrette over top and a dollop of hummus anywhere you like.
Depending on the size of your produce, amounts will vary. Adjust accordingly to suit your taste and situation. For instance, I used small Persian cucumbers here but used a whole small one. Typically, you’ll be using a regular or English cucumber and will only use about 1/4 of it, as per the recipe.
Make the dressing oil-free by omitting the oil and adding a little extra lemon juice, vinegar or water.