Black Bean, Broccoli & Avocado Salad features fresh steamed broccoli, protein-rich black beans, and creamy avocado over crisp romaine and topped with a cumin-lime tahini dressing making an easy and delicious vegan lunch or dinner salad!
The inspiration for this delicious chopped Black Bean, Broccoli & Avocado Salad came about by a recent visit to El Pollo Loco, a local fast food chain. I’m the only vegan in the house and can usually find suitable meals for myself when dining out.
Fast food is a little more difficult than sit-down dining, but I can usually rework a menu item. In this case, I ordered their Avocado Salad, omitting the cheese and replacing the chicken with extra black beans.
Instead of using their dairy-based creamy cilantro dressing, I ordered a couple of extra sides of pico de gallo and had myself a great meal. I enjoyed the salad enough that I wanted to recreate it at home using a cumin-lime tahini dressing – and it’s really quite wonderful!
Not only is this chopped salad with black beans, broccoli, and avocado super easy to throw together, but it’s nutrient-dense and full of great flavor and texture! I think you’ll love it as much as I do!
- Romaine – Crisp romaine is a perfect bed for this salad, but feel free to use your favorite leafy greens.
- Black beans – Use canned or fresh cooked black beans. The beans are served plain, but I think these flavourful Instant Pot Black Beans would be fabulous too. I served my beans at room temperature, but you can heat them if you prefer.
- Broccoli – Fresh broccoli is best and will be steamed just before serving. You can also serve it at room temperature or chilled.
- Avocado – Creamy and full of healthy fats, avocado is a wonderful addition but can be optional, as noted below!
- Salsa– For ease, premade is great, or make this easy homemade Pico de Gallo. Also, this fresh Corn Salsa is delicious!
- Jalapeno – Sub with hatch or serrano chili, or omit altogether if you prefer.
- Cilantro – Used in the dressing, adding wonderful herbaceousness.
- Tahini – Makes a wonderful creamy dressing base without the need for dairy!
- Lime – Adds a zesty citrus flavor to the dressing and can be squeezed over the top of the salad before serving.
- Cumin – Use in the dressing, adding a nice warm and earthy flavor.
How To Make Black Bean, Broccoli & Avocado Salad
- Make the dressing by whisking together the tahini, lime juice, cumin, salt, and water.
- Steam your broccoli just until al dente and bright green using a bamboo steamer, double broiler, or preferred method. Chop the romaine.
- Assemble the salad by layering the romaine in your serving dishes, top with black beans, broccoli, avocado, pico de gallo, a few sprigs of cilantro, and top with dressing.
Now you’re ready to enjoy!
A simple, delicious, and nutrient-dense salad for a healthy lunch, dinner, or make-ahead vegan meal!
- This salad is a great place to add a sprinkle of seeds. Try using pepitas (pumpkin seeds), sunflower seeds, or hemp hearts.
- Use extra salsa in place of dressing. If you don’t have tahini on hand or want to reduce the fat content, try using extra pico de gallo and a squeeze of lime. I find it works great!
Adjusting For Dietary Restrictions
- Nightshade-free: Omit the salsa and chili pepper for a salad that’s free of the nightshade family.
- Low-fat: Reduce the fat by omitting the avocado and/or dressing while adding extra pico de gallo.
More Healthy Salad Recipes!
- Southwestern Salad
- Crunchy Romaine Salad + Peanut Dressing
- Vegan Taco Salad
- Vegan Caesar Salad
- Vegan Cobb Salad
If you try this easy black bean salad recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
Black Bean, Broccoli + Avocado Salad
Steamed broccoli, protein-rich black beans, and creamy avocado over cool, crisp romaine and topped with a creamy tahini dressing make for a perfect lunch or dinner salad.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 5 min
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: Serves 2
- Category: Entree, Salad
- Method: steam, whisk
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 2 romaine hearts, chopped
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/4 cup broccoli florets, steamed
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/3 cup pico de gallo and/or corn salsa
- cilantro sprigs
- 1 jalapeno or serrano chili, sliced and most seeds removed
Cumin-Lime Tahini Dressing
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/3 cup water
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped cilantro
Dressing: In a small bowl, combine the dressing ingredients, except for the cilantro. Use a tad more water as needed to thin. If dressing is too thin, add more tahini. Once blended to your liking, taste for flavor, stir in cilantro, and set aside.
Broccoli: Steam your broccoli just until al dente and bright green using a bamboo steamer, double broiler, or preferred method.
Assemble: Add romaine to your serving dishes, top with black beans, broccoli, avocado, pico de gallo, a few sprigs of cilantro, and slices of chili peppers. Top with dressing and enjoy!
Store: Leftover salad and dressing can be stored in the refrigerator for 4 – 5 days.
In place of canned black beans, try using these Instant Pot Black Beans.
This is a great place to add a sprinkle of seeds. Try using pepitas (pumpkin seeds), sunflower seeds, or hemp hearts.
If you don’t have tahini on hand, try using extra pico de gallo and a squeeze of lime. I find it works great! You may even opt to use a dollop of hummus.
Use spinach or any leafy green of choice.
Updated: This recipe was originally published in September 2014. It has been retested and updated with new photos and helpful tips in May 2021.