Black Bean, Broccoli & Avocado Salad + Cumin-Lime Tahini Dressing
Black Bean, Broccoli & Avocado Salad features fresh steamed broccoli, protein-rich black beans, and creamy avocado over crisp romaine and topped with a cumin-lime tahini dressing making an easy and delicious vegan lunch or dinner salad!
The inspiration for this delicious chopped Black Bean, Broccoli & Avocado Salad came about by a recent visit to El Pollo Loco, a local fast food chain. I’m the only vegan in the house and can usually find suitable meals for myself when dining out.
Fast food is a little more difficult than sit-down dining, but I can usually rework a menu item. In this case, I ordered their Avocado Salad, omitting the cheese and replacing the chicken with extra black beans.
Instead of using their dairy-based creamy cilantro dressing, I ordered a couple of extra sides of pico de gallo and had myself a great meal. I enjoyed the salad enough that I wanted to recreate it at home using a cumin-lime tahini dressing – and it’s really quite wonderful!
Not only is this chopped salad with black beans, broccoli, and avocado super easy to throw together, but it’s nutrient-dense and full of great flavor and texture! I think you’ll love it as much as I do!
- Romaine – Crisp romaine is a perfect bed for this salad, but feel free to use your favorite leafy greens.
- Black beans – Use canned or fresh cooked black beans. The beans are served plain, but I think these flavourful Instant Pot Black Beans would be fabulous too. I served my beans at room temperature, but you can heat them if you prefer.
- Broccoli – Fresh broccoli is best and will be steamed just before serving. You can also serve it at room temperature or chilled.
- Avocado – Creamy and full of healthy fats, avocado is a wonderful addition but can be optional, as noted below!
- Salsa– For ease, premade is great, or make this easy homemade Pico de Gallo. Also, this fresh Corn Salsa is delicious!
- Jalapeno – Sub with hatch or serrano chili, or omit altogether if you prefer.
- Cilantro – Used in the dressing, adding wonderful herbaceousness.
- Tahini – Makes a wonderful creamy dressing base without the need for dairy!
- Lime – Adds a zesty citrus flavor to the dressing and can be squeezed over the top of the salad before serving.
- Cumin – Use in the dressing, adding a nice warm and earthy flavor.
How To Make Black Bean, Broccoli & Avocado Salad
- Make the dressing by whisking together the tahini, lime juice, cumin, salt, and water.
- Steam your broccoli just until al dente and bright green using a bamboo steamer, double broiler, or preferred method. Chop the romaine.
- Assemble the salad by layering the romaine in your serving dishes, top with black beans, broccoli, avocado, pico de gallo, a few sprigs of cilantro, and top with dressing.
Now you’re ready to enjoy!
A simple, delicious, and nutrient-dense salad for a healthy lunch, dinner, or make-ahead vegan meal!
- This salad is a great place to add a sprinkle of seeds. Try using pepitas (pumpkin seeds), sunflower seeds, or hemp hearts.
- Use extra salsa in place of dressing. If you don’t have tahini on hand or want to reduce the fat content, try using extra pico de gallo and a squeeze of lime. I find it works great!
Adjusting For Dietary Restrictions
- Nightshade-free: Omit the salsa and chili pepper for a salad that’s free of the nightshade family.
- Low-fat: Reduce the fat by omitting the avocado and/or dressing while adding extra pico de gallo.
More Healthy Salad Recipes!
- Southwestern Salad
- Crunchy Romaine Salad + Peanut Dressing
- Vegan Taco Salad
- Vegan Caesar Salad
- Vegan Cobb Salad
If you try this easy black bean salad recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
Black Bean, Broccoli + Avocado Salad
Steamed broccoli, protein-rich black beans, and creamy avocado over cool, crisp romaine and topped with a creamy tahini dressing make for a perfect lunch or dinner salad.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 5 min
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: Serves 2
- Category: Entree, Salad
- Method: steam, whisk
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 2 romaine hearts, chopped
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/4 cup broccoli florets, steamed
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/3 cup pico de gallo and/or corn salsa
- cilantro sprigs
- 1 jalapeno or serrano chili, sliced and most seeds removed
Cumin-Lime Tahini Dressing
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/3 cup water
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped cilantro
Dressing: In a small bowl, combine the dressing ingredients, except for the cilantro. Use a tad more water as needed to thin. If dressing is too thin, add more tahini. Once blended to your liking, taste for flavor, stir in cilantro, and set aside.
Broccoli: Steam your broccoli just until al dente and bright green using a bamboo steamer, double broiler, or preferred method.
Assemble: Add romaine to your serving dishes, top with black beans, broccoli, avocado, pico de gallo, a few sprigs of cilantro, and slices of chili peppers. Top with dressing and enjoy!
Store: Leftover salad and dressing can be stored in the refrigerator for 4 – 5 days.
In place of canned black beans, try using these Instant Pot Black Beans.
This is a great place to add a sprinkle of seeds. Try using pepitas (pumpkin seeds), sunflower seeds, or hemp hearts.
If you don’t have tahini on hand, try using extra pico de gallo and a squeeze of lime. I find it works great! You may even opt to use a dollop of hummus.
Use spinach or any leafy green of choice.
Updated: This recipe was originally published in September 2014. It has been retested and updated with new photos and helpful tips in May 2021.
FOLLOW TSV on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, or RSS for more updates and inspiration!
So beautiful and delicious. My picky liked it, too! Thank you!
Simply a beautiful and healthy site – good job!
The perfect salad with an incredible looking dressing! I love tahini, as it lends itself so nicely to vegetables.
What a gorgeous salad, love the dressing!!
Totally loving this chopped salad bowl.. I'm always on the lookout for new salad recipes to please my vegetarian household with. So thanks for sharing this recipe, it's one that I definitely will be recreating.
This is one gorgeous looking salad!!
Tahini? Broccoli? Avocado? Black beans? Yes to all! Love every single ingredient for this, so yummy!
It's even more delicious than it looks! Hope you get a chance to try it soon. Cheers :)
This looks fantastic. I can't wait to try it.
This sounds just perfect! I love broccoli and black beans together.
Oh yes, they are a perfect match…especially when drizzled with a creamy dressing! :)