Hello and happy Monday, today I have for you a little vegan buckwheat pancake inspiration! Made from scratch, this recipe is super easy to make and yields hearty, thick and fluffy buckwheat pancakes.
Are Buckwheat Pancakes Healthy?
Buckwheat has been one of my favorite flours of late and making pancakes with it has been on my to-do list. Despite its name, buckwheat flour isn’t wheat, but is actually a seed, making it a healthy, nutritious and naturally gluten-free alternative to all-purpose and whole-wheat flour.
What Do Buckwheat Pancakes Taste Like?
Buckwheat flour has a delicious nutty flavor and has a grainier texture than regular flour. The graininess is only slightly noticeable and not unpleasant at all. It also cooks up darker than most flours making it look chocolatey.
How To Use Buckwheat Flour In Pancake Recipes
You can use buckwheat flour in place of regular flour in a ratio of 1 to 1. There is no guessing, simply replace the flour called for in most recipes with buckwheat flour.
If you haven’t tried buckwheat flour yet, hopefully this will give you some encouragement. And for further encouragement, you may like to try these other buckwheat recipes.
They’re all seriously delicious!
How To Make Vegan Buttermilk
For the ‘buttermilk’, it’s easy to make vegan using non-dairy milks. Simply add the juice of 1/2 lemon (or 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar) to one cup of non-dairy milk and let set for 10 minutes. There you have it, vegan buttermilk. Easy and delicious!
How To Make The Best Vegan Buckwheat Pancakes
- Preheat griddle to manufacturers setting for pancakes.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, add flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt, mix well. Add in the vegan buttermilk and mix to combine. These are thicker pancakes, for thinner pancakes, add a tad more milk to the batter.
- Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop up batter and place on griddle. Once the top forms bubbles and sides look a little leathery, about 2 – 3 minutes, flip and cook the other side for 2 -3 minutes.
How To Serve Buckwheat Pancakes
For your toppings, these pancakes are made even better with fresh berries. The more berries the merrier! Use one kind or any combination of blueberries, raspberries, blackberries or strawberries. My favorite berry here was the raspberries, they were perfectly ripe and flavorful adding just the right touch. You may even like to top with this Blueberry Compote (it’s really easy to make and delicious!).
These vegan buckwheat pancakes are simple, nutritious and delicious!
Love Pancakes, Try These Other Pancake Recipes
- Vegan Pumpkin Pancakes
- Cinnamon Applesauce Pancakes
- Classic Vegan Pancakes
- Lemon Chia Seed Pancakes
- Spelt & Oat Pancakes with Blueberry Compote
VEGAN ‘BUTTERMILK’ BUCKWHEAT PANCAKES
Thick, fluffy, delicious and nutritious, make it a good morning with these vegan buttermilk buckwheat pancakes!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: Makes 8 pancakes
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Gluten-free, Vegan
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- juice of 1/2 lemon or 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut or organic pure cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, optional
- pinch of salt
- coconut oil, for the griddle
- berries of choice, to serve (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries or strawberries)
- pure maple syrup, to serve
In a measuring cup, add milk and lemon juice, let set for 10 minutes.
Preheat griddle to manufacturers setting for pancakes. Once hot add 1 tablespoon or so of coconut oil and spread to coat griddle.
In a medium sized mixing bowl, add flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt, mix well. Add in vegan buttermilk and mix to combine. These are thicker pancakes, for thinner pancakes, add up to 1/4 cup more milk to the batter.
Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop up batter and place on griddle. Once the top forms bubbles and sides look a little leathery, about 2 – 3 minutes, flip and cook the other side for 2 -3 minutes.
Serve with berries of choice and pure maple syrup. You may even like to top with this Blueberry Compote (it’s really easy to make and delicious!).
Makes 8 pancakes. Serves 2 generously or 4 smaller plates.
Add in 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract if you like. Any amount less than that won’t be very noticeable.