A healthy and well-balanced vegan potato salad with chickpeas and creamy tahini-dijon dressing, is seriously the best vegan potato salad recipe ever!
Vegan Potato Salad with Chickpeas features tender potatoes, crisp bits of celery, colorful red onion, healthy chickpeas for added protein, fresh dill for flavor and color all dressed up in a light and creamy lemon-tahini dressing. The flavors and textures are spot on, and whether you’re a potato salad lover or not, I know you’re going to love this version!
I used to love potato salad before becoming vegan, and it feels like forever since I’ve had it, so I’m thrilled to add this vegan potato salad with chickpeas to the recipe collection. Not only is it amazingly creamy and delicious, it’s so easy to make too!
Vegan Chickpea Potato Salad
This vegan potato salad recipe is adapted from Ina Garten, some of the changes I made were:
- Using regular yukon gold potatoes instead of baby ones. I usually don’t peel my potatoes because the skin is nutritious, but once they were done cooking the skin came off so easily that I went ahead and peeled them. Leave the skin on if you prefer. Feel free to use baby potatoes as noted in the notes. You can also just as easily use red potatoes and leave the skin on.
- I also upped the amount of celery and onion since I like a lot of texture. Use up to 1 cup each of onion and celery if you like.
- Besides veganizing the dressing with a tahini based dressing, I used a bit less than she calls for. Of course, if you like it extra creamy by all means double up the tahini or vegan mayo amounts!
- And finally, the addition of chickpeas rounds out the nutritional profile – it’s a vegan thing. :)
This vegan chickpea potato salad can be served as a light meal or side. Feel free to add in olives, sweet pickles or anything you would normally add to your potato salad. The recipe is super easy to put together and will be ready in about 30 minutes. Bon appetit!
How To Make Vegan Potato Salad
- Start by boiling the potatoes for about 15 minutes, let them cool and peel.
- Prep the veggies, chickpeas, and dill.
- Make the creamy dressing using either the tahini base or vegan mayo.
- Toss everything together in a large mixing bowl, and done!
Make ahead for ease and store in the refrigerator until ready to eat. Serve your vegan potato salad at room temp or chilled.
It’s a classic potato salad, with chickpeas for heartiness, to enjoy for years to come!
I hope you LOVE this vegan chickpea potato salad as much as I do! It’s
- Minimal ingredients
- Clean eating & healthy
- Quick and easy to make
- Full of flavor
- & So delicious!
This vegan potato salad is perfect for parties, potlucks and just about any type of gatherings. It’s super versatile, you can omit anything you like, or add some of the suggested ingredients mentioned above. This can easily be made into a light meal and goes great with other side dishes as well, creating a complete meal.
More Great Side Recipes
- Healthy Baked Beans
- Easy Vegan Pasta Salad
- Curried Potato & Chickpea Salad
- Spicy Coleslaw
- Radish and Cucumber Salad
If you try this chickpea potato salad recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.
VEGAN POTATO SALAD WITH CHICKPEAS
For all you potato salad lovers, I know you’re going to love this! Potatoes, chickpeas and fresh dill tossed with a super easy dressing (use tahini or vegan mayo for the dressing). It’s a keeper!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6 - 8
- Category: Side, Entree
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 3 lbs. yukon gold potatoes
- 1 can (14 oz.) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup celery (some leaves ok), diced
- 3/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 4 heaping tablespoons tahini (+ 5 tablespoons water) or 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 2 tablespoons dijon or whole grain mustard, or to taste
- 1 lemon, juice of
- mineral salt & fresh cracked pepper, to taste
Potatoes: Place potatoes in a large pot with a hefty pinch of salt and fill with water, bring to a boil, reduce heat to a gentle boil and cook about 13 – 15 minutes, until potatoes are just fork tender. Drain potatoes and let cool. Once cooled, gently peel the skin away (or leave it on if you prefer). Using your thumb and index finger, pinch the skin and you’ll see it move, skin should come off easily. Cut the potatoes into 1/2 – 3/4 inch cubes.
Prep veggies: While potatoes are cooking and/or cooling, prepare the onion, celery, dill and chickpeas.
Dressing: In a small bowl, combine the tahini/mayo, mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mix well. If using tahini, add water slowly until desired consistency. If dressing is too thick, add a tad more water or lemon juice. Alternately, if dressing is too thin, add more tahini or mayo.
Mix together: In a large bowl (or pot you cooked the potatoes in) place the potatoes, chickpeas, celery, onion and dill. Pour the dressing over top and mix to combine. Season with mineral salt and fresh cracked pepper.
Serve as a light meal or side.
Store leftovers in refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Serves 6 – 8
Use red potatoes if you prefer. No need to peel them. Also, if using baby potatoes, cooking time might be slightly shorter. If you do use baby potatoes, after they’ve cooked and cooled, slice in half or quarter them.
If you don’t have lemon on hand, add a good splash of apple cider vinegar instead.
Fresh is best but if you don’t have fresh dill on hand, use a tablespoon or so of dried dill. Start low and add more to taste.