What better way to use up leftover chili than by stuffing it into baked sweet potatoes! These vegan Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are easy and perfect for lunch, dinner or make ahead meals!
I’ve been updating the vegan chili recipes and was looking for a way to use up some of the leftovers. Leftover chili is nice and thick, making it perfect for stuffing sweet potatoes.
And needless to say, these easy chili stuffed sweet potatoes were delicious! The sweetness of the sweet potatoes pairs perfectly with the chili spices, making for a healthy and hearty meal that will satisfy just about anyone!
So skip the bowl with leftovers – your chili deserves a healthy baked sweet potato! And if you prefer, a regular baked potato is great too!
Use up leftover chili, or make a fresh batch of chili from any of these vegan chili recipes (or use your favorite chili recipe):
- Easy Vegetable Chili (the chili I used)
- The Ultimate Tempeh Chili
- Easy Three Bean Chili
- Quinoa Chili Verde
Tips For The Best Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- I prefer making my baked sweet potatoes in the oven, they will cook for 50 – 55 minutes at 400 degrees. Be sure to poke a few holes in the top before baking to let steam escape.
- If you prefer the microwave for ease and quickness, they will take about 15 minutes (see recipe for instructions).
- Rewarm your chili on the stove while you’re sweet potatoes are baking. This should take just 5-7 minutes over medium heat.
- Chili can thicken up as it sits, especially if it’s been in the fridge or freezer for a few days. If you need to thin it out, just add some low-sodium vegetable broth or few splashes of water to get it to the right consistency.
- Keep leftovers stored separately or together. This can easily be made ahead, sweet potatoes stuffed and kept stored in covered containers to take for to-go meals.
- Pairs great with Vegan Cornbread or Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins!
Topping ideas include:
- vegan sour cream or greek yogurt
- sliced jalapeno
- hot sauce
- fresh cilantro
- sliced green onion
- vegan cheese
- sliced or diced avocado
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Vegan Stuffed Sweet Potatoes (with broccoli + avocado)
- Baked Sweet Potato Wedges
- Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- 30 minute Chana Masala
If you try this chili stuffed sweet potato recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
CHILI STUFFED SWEET POTATOES
These delicious vegan Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are great way to use leftover chili! They’re nutritious, delicious and easy to make.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 1 stuffed weet potato per person 1x
- Category: Entree
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
Prep: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat. See notes for microwave instructions.
Sweet Potato: Scrub the sweet potatoes to remove any dirt. Using a fork poke holes into the top of the sweet potato so it can release steam while cooking. Place on a lined rimmed baking sheet and bake in the oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour. Let cool a few minutes.
Chili: If making a fresh batch, cook the chili while the sweet potatoes are baking. If using leftovers, reheat the chili 5 – 7 minutes or so before baked sweet potatoes are done.
Assemble: Slice the sweet potato lengthwise along the top where the holes were poked. Gently, and slightly, open the sweet potato and fill with your 3/4 – 1 cup of chili.
Serves 2 – 4
Store: Leftovers can be stored in covered containers in the refrigerator for 4 – 5 days. Store the chili and sweet potatoes separately or assembled.
Microwave instructions: Place the sweet potatoes on a microwave-safe dish and microwave for 5 – 10 minutes. Add two minutes for each additional potato, rotating them halfway through. Sweet potatoes are done when a fork spears into them easily.
*Chili suggestions: (these are my favorites for stuffing sweet potatoes)