Vegan Curry Lentil Soup – Hearty lentil soup with curry, potatoes and greens is warm, glowing and delicious! Perfect for lunch, dinner or make ahead meal idea!
Soup season is finally underway and this nourishing and hearty Lentil Soup with curry, potatoes, carrots and greens is a great way to get started!
What you’re going to love about this curry lentil soup recipe:
- It’s an easy one-pot meal that’s ready in about an hour from start to finish.
- It can be made on the stovetop, in a slow cooker or Instant Pot.
- It’s full of plant based protein and healthy fiber for a well-balanced vegan soup.
- The leftovers are even better as the flavors have time to meld together overnight, making it great for meal prep!
All together this soup is full of flavor with an optional hint of spiciness and is simply a lovely soup for everyone to enjoy!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Here’s the ingredients needed to make this flavorful soup, plus substitution ideas for your perfect curry lentil soup.
- Lentils. These are the main protein source in this curry soup. You can use either brown or green lentils in the recipe. If using green lentils, you’ll need to add a few minutes of cooking time as noted in the recipe card below.
- Potatoes. Use waxy potatoes such as red, white or yukon gold, as they hold their shape nicely when simmered.
- Mirepoix. The usual mix of onion, carrot and celery that makes a great flavor base, adds color and texture.
- Garlic. If you don’t have fresh garlic on hand, substitute with 1 teaspoon garlic powder.
- Tomatoes. Use canned for convenience or fresh if roma tomatoes are in season.
- Tomato Paste. For even more curry flavor, sub the tomato paste with red curry paste.
- Greens: Use whatever greens you like – spinach, rainbow chard, beet greens or kale. I used a packaged baby kale & spinach mix this time around, but I’ve used julienned full grown kale before with great results.
- Spices & Herbs: The spice blend is curry and cumin with a couple of bay leaves. If you like a little heat, add a pinch of red pepper flakes. For serving, cilantro adds a nice finishing touch and added flavor.
How To Make Curry Lentil Soup with Potatoes & Greens
This curry lentil soup can be made on the stovetop, in a slow-cooker or Instant Pot with just a few simple adjustments.
The stovetop and Instant Pot both take about the same amount of time, about 40 min. The slow cooker will take the longest, letting you set it and go about your day.
Here’s a quick look at your options:
- Stovetop: Using a large pot, you’ll simply saute the onion, carrots and celery, then add the spices and tomato paste and stir until fragrant. Add the remaining ingredients, except the greens, and simmer for about 30 minutes. Towards the end of cooking add in the greens and enjoy!
- Instant Pot: Add the ingredients, except the greens, to the bowl of your pressure cooker. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set the release valve to the SEALED position. Press the MANUAL button and set the timer at 15 minutes. Once finished, set valve to quick release or let it release pressure on it’s own (takes about 20 minutes). Remove lid, stir in the greens.
- Slow Cooker: The set it and forget it method. Simply add the ingredients, except the greens, to the crock pot bowl. Cover with lid and set on HIGH for 3 – 4 hours or LOW for 6 – 8 hours. Add greens, let them wilt and enjoy!
How To Store Leftovers
- Refrigerator: Leftovers will keep for 5 – 6 days in the refrigerator, stored in a covered container.
- Freezer: This soup is freezer friendly and freezes well for up to 2 – 3 months. To freeze, let cool completely and store in freezer safe containers (affiliate link), leaving ½ inch head space for expansion. Let thaw before reheating. You can also freeze larger portions in large ziplock bags or containers.
- Reheat: Simply re-warm on the stovetop over low heat until warmed through. Alternately, reheat in the microwave using 30 second intervals, stirring after each, until warm. It makes a great meal prep for the week with homemade Naan on the side for soaking up the juices.
- Serve with a squeeze of lemon for brightness.
- Add fresh chopped cilantro for added freshness.
- Pair with homemade vegan naan for dipping and swiping.
More Easy Soup Recipes
- Vegan Minestrone Soup
- Hearty Lentil Soup
- 30 Minute Chana Masala
- Curry Sweet Potato & Red Lentil Soup
- Vegan Potato Leek Soup
- Hearty Lentil & Mushroom Ragu + Pasta
If you try this curry lentil soup recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
CURRY LENTIL SOUP
A hearty curry lentil soup brimming with carrots, potatoes, tomatoes and greens to keep you warm and nourished when the chilly weather sets in! Includes stovetop, Slow Cooker and Instant Pot methods.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4 - 6 1x
- Category: Soup, Entree
- Method: Stovetop, Simmer
- Cuisine: Vegan
- ¼ cup water or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste or red curry paste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 – 2 tablespoons curry powder, to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes with juice or 2 – 3 roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 ½ cups lentils (brown or green – see notes)
- 3 medium potatoes, diced ½ inch cubes
- mineral salt & pepper, to taste
- 6 cups water or vegetable broth (or combo)
- 1 bunch or 2 large handfuls of greens (I used baby kale & spinach)
- lemon wedges, to serve
- chopped cilantro, to serve
- In large stock pot, heat water/olive oil over medium heat. Add carrots, celery and onions, saute for 5 minutes. Add the curry/tomato paste and garlic, stir to combine and cook for 3 minutes. Add the curry, cumin and red pepper, mix to combine and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add lentils, tomatoes, potatoes, then water/broth (in this order the tomatoes and potatoes won’t splash), bay leaves, salt and pepper, bring to boil over medium high heat. Turn heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 – 35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the greens five minutes before the soup is done. Add additional water as needed, maybe up to 1 cup. Remove bay leaves. Season with salt & pepper.
Instant Pot: Add the ingredients, except the greens and water/oil, to the bowl of your pressure cooker. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set the release valve to the SEALED position. Press the MANUAL button and set the timer at 15 minutes. Once finished, set valve to quick release or let it release pressure on it’s own (takes about 20 minutes). Remove lid, stir in the greens. Remove bay leaves before serving.
Slow Cooker: Add the ingredients, except the greens and water/oil, to the bowl of your crock pot. Cover with lid. Set on HIGH for 3 – 4 hours or LOW for 6 – 8 hours. Add greens, let them wilt. Remove bay leaves and enjoy!
Store: Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for 4 – 5 days. store covered. To keep longer, store in the freezer in freezer safe containers for 2 – 3 months.
Use any dark leafy greens you like….spinach, kale, swiss chard, broccoli raab greens, beet greens ect. Just be sure to julienne your greens if they are large leafy ones. If using full grown greens, add them about 10 minutes before soup is done as they take longer to wilt.
If using green lentils, they tend to take a little longer to cook, add another 5 – 10 minutes on the stovetop and 2 minutes in the Instant Pot.
Add in a handful of raisins or currants for some sweetness at the end of cooking. Or, you may rather add some to the top of your individual servings. It’s highly recommended adding a light touch of sweetness with the curry flavor!
Adapted from E.A.T. Broccoli Raab Green Curry Lentil Soup
Keywords: vegan curry lentil soup, curry lentil soup recipe, curry lentil soup with potatoes
Updated: Curry Lentil Soup recipe originally published October 2012. Updated October 2019 with new photos and helpful tips.