Vegan Lentil Soup – Brimming with vegetables and easy to make from scratch, this hearty lentil soup is full of protein, fiber, and much healthier than any canned soup. It’s perfect fall weather dining and makes a great meal prep idea!
I needed a new lentil soup in my life – and here it is! Brimming with potatoes, green beans, carrots, tomatoes, and perfectly spiced, it’s just about the best lentil soup recipe ever!
Why We Love This Recipe!
- Super easy! It’s a one-pot recipe made with everyday ingredients and ready in about 45 from start to finish. You can even use frozen veggies for quicker prep time.
- It’s healthy! Full of plant-based protein and healthy fiber for a well-balanced, nourishing and delicious soup. Plus, there’s an option to make it oil-free for a soup that’s heart-healthy and virtually fat-free.
- We’ve included stovetop, slow cooker, and Instant Pot cooking methods. And if you have any leftovers, they’re even better the next day!
Without further ado, let’s make delicious vegan lentil soup!
Here’s everything you will need to make this hearty soup, plus substitution ideas for ‘your’ perfect vegan lentil soup. Measurements can be found in the recipe card below.
- Lentils. These are the main protein source in this curry soup. You can use either brown or green lentils in the recipe. If using green lentils, you’ll need to add a few minutes of cooking time as noted in the recipe card below.
- Mirepoix. The usual mix of onion, carrot and celery that makes a great flavor base, adds color and texture.
- Garlic. If you don’t have fresh garlic on hand, substitute with 1 teaspoon garlic powder.
- Potatoes. Use waxy potatoes such as red, white or Yukon gold, as they hold their shape nicely when simmered. I used baby potatoes here, but regular size is great too. Sub with sweet potato or butternut squash for variation.
- Green Beans. Use fresh or frozen.
- Tomatoes. Use canned for convenience or fresh if roma tomatoes are in season.
- Greens. I used a packaged baby kale & spinach mix, but you can use whatever greens you like – spinach, rainbow chard, beet greens or kale.
- Spices. Together the paprika, cumin and curry add a deep warming flavor that I have fallen in love with. This is a delicious combination and I know you’ll love it too! For variation, I think thyme, Italian seasoning, or herbs de Provence would be a great substitution for the cumin and curry.
- Vegetable Broth. We like using this Better Than Bouillon Veg Paste (affiliate link) to control the sodium and strength. I used just under 1 teaspoon for this recipe. The jar stores in the refrigerator and lasts a long time.
- Parsley & Lemon. Adds a finishing touch, adding brightness and freshness.
Can I Use A Frozen Mix of Vegetables?
Yes, for ease this lentil soup recipe can be made using 3 – 4 cups of any frozen vegetable mix. The amount will depend on if you include other veggies from the recipe. We recommend using a classic medley of carrots, peas, green beans, and/or corn. Simply saute the onion and garlic, and add the veggies to replace the fresh carrots, celery, green beans, and/or potatoes when adding the lentils.
How To Make Vegan Lentil Soup
Vegan lentil soup can be made on the stovetop, in a slow-cooker or Instant Pot with just a few simple adjustments.
Here’s a quick look at the stovetop method with photos for reference:
- Start by sauteing the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic. Add the paprika, cumin, and curry, saute for 1 minute more.
- Add the tomatoes, green beans, potatoes, lentils, and pour the broth over top.
- Simmer soup for 30 minutes.
- Just before soup is done, about 5 minutes, stir in the spinach and cook until wilted.
- Remove from heat, add a bit of lemon. Season with salt and pepper.
And that’s it – now you are ready to enjoy a cozy bowl of soup!
Other Cooking Methods
How to make vegan lentil soup in an Instant Pot: Add the ingredients, except the greens, to the bowl of your pressure cooker. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set the release valve to the SEALED position. Press the MANUAL button and set the timer at 15 minutes. Once finished, set valve to quick release or let it release pressure on its own (takes about 20 minutes). Remove lid, stir in the greens.
How to make lentil soup in a slow cooker: This is the set it and forget it method! Simply add the ingredients, except the greens, to the crock pot bowl. Cover with lid and set on HIGH for 4 – 5 hours or LOW for 8 – 10 hours. Add greens, let them wilt and serve!
How To Store Leftovers
- Refrigerator: Leftovers will keep for 5 – 6 days in the refrigerator, stored in a covered container. It makes for
- Reheat: Simply re-warm on the stovetop over low heat until warmed through. Alternatively, reheat in the microwave using 30 – 60 second intervals, stirring after each, until warm.
- Make ahead: This soup is great for meal prepping for the week and tastes even better the next day.
Can Lentil Soup Be Frozen?
Lentil soup freezes beautifully for up to 2 – 3 months! To freeze, let cool completely and store in freezer safe containers (affiliate link), leaving 1/2 inch headspace for expansion. Let thaw before reheating. You can also freeze larger portions in large ziplock bags.
What To Serve with Lentil Soup
I like to garnish this veggie lentil soup with parsley, a squeeze of lemon, and a twist of fresh cracked pepper. Here are a few of my favorite sides:
- Bread: Serve with homemade Artisan Bread, Vegan Cornbread or Vegan Naan for dipping and swiping.
- Sandwiches: Serve with this Favorite Vegetable Sandwich, Roasted Red Pepper Sandwich, or Grilled Hummus Sandwich with Sauteed Onion Tomato & Arugula, Sandwich.
- Salad: Pair with House Salad, Green Salad + Tahini Dressing (or use this Healthy Flax & Evo Balsamic Vinaigrette), Vegan Caesar Salad, or leafy green salad with Vegan Ranch.
More Vegan Soup Recipes!
- Vegan Minestrone Soup
- Vegan Potato Leek Soup
- Curry Sweet Potato & Red Lentil Soup
- Curry Lentil Soup with Potatoes & Greens
- Garlic Miso Soup with Greens
If you have a question or tried this one pot soup recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
HEARTY VEGAN LENTIL SOUP
Filled with hearty vegetables and made in 1 pot, this vegan lentil soup is super hearty, healthy, and ready in about 45 minutes!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6
- Category: Entree, Soup
- Method: Stovetop, Instant Pot, Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1/4 cup water or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 – 3 carrots (about 1 cup), diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup (6oz.) green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces (fresh or frozen)
- 1 can (14oz) diced tomatoes with juices, or 2 – 3 roma tomatoes diced
- 1 lb. baby potatoes, diced
- 1 1/2 cups dried brown or green lentils
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon curry
- 6 cups water or low-sodium broth, + more as needed
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach or kale
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- mineral salt & pepper, to taste
Stovetop (see notes for more cooking options):
Saute: In large dutch oven or pot, heat water/olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, celery, and garlic, saute for 5 minutes. Add the paprika, curry, and cumin, saute 1 minute, or until fragrant.
Simmer: Add the green beans, tomatoes, potatoes, lentils, and liquids, give a good stir and bring to a boil, turn heat to low, cover askew and simmer for 30 – 35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add greens: 5 minutes before soup is done, stir in the greens. Add more water if needed, maybe up to 1 cup. Add lemon juice and season with salt & pepper.
Serve: Ladle into soup bowls and top with a sprinkle of fresh chopped parsley and squeeze of lemon juice for an extra touch of brightness. Pairs great with homemade vegan cornbread, vegan naan or artisan bread.
Store: Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for 4 – 5 days. store covered. To keep longer, store in the freezer in freezer-safe containers for 2 – 3 months.
Lentils: If using green lentils, they tend to take a little longer to cook, add another 5 – 10 minutes on the stovetop and 2 minutes in the Instant Pot.
Herbs: For a different flavor profile, try substituting the cumin and curry for 1 teaspoon of thyme, Italian seasoning, or Herbes de Provence.
Potato: Sub regular potatoes with sweet potatoes or butternut squash for variation.
Night-Shade Free: Omit the diced tomatoes, paprika, and curry. In place of the cumin, try another flavor profile by adding 2 – 3 teaspoons of Italian seasoning, herbs de Provence, or any combination of thyme, rosemary, oregano, basil, etc.
Make this recipe prep-friendly by subbing most of the fresh veggies with 3 – 4 cups of a frozen vegetable medley. Saute the onion and garlic, add the frozen veggies with the lentils and continue as directed.
More Cooking Methods:
- Instant Pot: Add the ingredients, except the leafy greens and water/oil, to the bowl of your pressure cooker. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set the release valve to the SEALED position. Press the MANUAL button and set the timer at 15 minutes. Once finished, set valve to quick release or let it release pressure on its own (takes about 20 minutes). Remove lid, stir in the greens. Season with salt & pepper taste.
- Slow Cooker: Add the ingredients, except the leafy greens and water/oil, to the bowl of your crock pot. Cover with lid. Set on HIGH for 4 – 5 hours or LOW for 8 – 10 hours. Add greens, let them wilt. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
Keywords: lentil soup recipe, vegan lentil soup, vegetable lentil soup