Vegan Lentil Soup – Chock-full of vegetables and so easy to make from scratch, this hearty lentil soup is full of protein, fiber and so much healthier than any canned soup. It’s perfect fall weather dining and makes a great meal prep idea!
I needed a new lentil soup in my life – and here it is! Brimming with potatoes, green beans, carrots, tomatoes and perfectly spiced, it’s just about the best lentil soup recipe ever!
So why is this lentil soup so great?
- It’s an easy one-pot meal using everyday ingredients that’s ready in about 45 from start to finish.
- It can be made on the stovetop, in a slow cooker or Instant Pot.
- It’s full of plant based protein and healthy fiber for a well-balanced, nourishing and delicious soup.
- Plus, there’s an option to make it oil-free for a soup that’s heart healthy and virtually fat free.
- And if you have any leftovers, they’re even better the next day!
Without further ado, let’s make awesome vegan lentil soup!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Here’s everything you will need to make this hearty soup, plus substitution ideas for ‘your’ perfect vegan lentil soup.
- Lentils. These are the main protein source in this curry soup. You can use either brown or green lentils in the recipe. If using green lentils, you’ll need to add a few minutes of cooking time as noted in the recipe card below.
- Mirepoix. The usual mix of onion, carrot and celery that makes a great flavor base, adds color and texture.
- Garlic. If you don’t have fresh garlic on hand, substitute with 1 teaspoon garlic powder.
- Potatoes. Use waxy potatoes such as red, white or Yukon gold, as they hold their shape nicely when simmered. I used baby potatoes here, but regular size is great too.
- Green Beans. Use fresh or frozen.
- Tomatoes. Use canned for convenience or fresh if roma tomatoes are in season.
- Greens. I used a packaged baby kale & spinach mix, but you can use whatever greens you like – spinach, rainbow chard, beet greens or kale.
- Spices. Together the paprika, cumin and curry add a deep warming flavor that I have fallen in love with. This is a delicious combination and I know you’ll love it too! For variation, I think thyme would be a great substitution for the cumin and curry.
- Parsley & Lemon. Adds a finishing touch, adding brightness and freshness.
How To Make Vegan Lentil Soup
Vegan lentil soup can be made on the stovetop, in a slow-cooker or Instant Pot with just a few simple adjustments.
Here’s a quick look at your options:
- Stovetop: Using a large pot, you’ll simply saute the onion, carrots, celery and garlic, then add the remaining ingredients, except the greens, and simmer for about 30 – 35 minutes. Towards the end of cooking add in the greens and enjoy!
- Instant Pot: Add the ingredients, except the greens, to the bowl of your pressure cooker. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set the release valve to the SEALED position. Press the MANUAL button and set the timer at 15 minutes. Once finished, set valve to quick release or let it release pressure on its own (takes about 20 minutes). Remove lid, stir in the greens.
- Slow Cooker: This is the set it and forget it method! Simply add the ingredients, except the greens, to the crock pot bowl. Cover with lid and set on HIGH for 4 – 5 hours or LOW for 8 – 10 hours. Add greens, let them wilt and serve!
I like to garnish this lentil soup with parsley, a squeeze of lemon and twist of fresh cracked pepper. Here are a few of my favorite sides:
- Bread: Serve with homemade Artisan Bread, Vegan Cornbread or Vegan Naan for dipping and swiping.
- Sandwiches: Serve with this Favorite Vegetable Sandwich, Roasted Red Pepper Sandwich, or Grilled Hummus Sandwich with Sauteed Onion Tomato & Arugula, Sandwich.
- Salad: Pair with Green Salad + Tahini Dressing (or use this Healthy Flax & Evo Balsamic Vinaigrette), Vegan Caesar Salad, or leafy green salad with Vegan Ranch.
How To Store Leftovers
- Refrigerator: Leftovers will keep for 5 – 6 days in the refrigerator, stored in a covered container. It makes for
- Reheat: Simply re-warm on the stovetop over low heat until warmed through. Alternatively, reheat in the microwave using 30 – 60 second intervals, stirring after each, until warm.
- Make ahead: This soup is great for meal prepping for the week and tastes even better the next day.
Can Lentil Soup Be Frozen?
Lentil soup freezes beautifully for up to 2 – 3 months! To freeze, let cool completely and store in freezer safe containers (affiliate link), leaving 1/2 inch head space for expansion. Let thaw before reheating. You can also freeze larger portions in large ziplock bags.
More Vegan Soup Recipes
- Vegan Minestrone Soup
- Vegan Potato Leek Soup
- Curry Sweet Potato & Red Lentil Soup
- Curry Lentil Soup with Potatoes & Greens
- Garlic Miso Soup with Greens
If you try this one pot lentil soup recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
HEARTY VEGAN LENTIL SOUP
Filled with hearty vegetables, this vegan lentil soup is super hearty, healthy, easy to make and ready in about 45 minutes!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6 1x
- Category: Entree, Soup
- Method: Stovetop, Simmer
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1/4 cup water or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 – 3 carrots (about 1 cup), diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup (6oz.) green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces (fresh or frozen)
- 1 can (14oz) diced tomatoes with juices, or 2 – 3 roma tomatoes diced
- 1 lb. baby potatoes, diced
- 1 1/2 cups dried brown or green lentils
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon curry
- 6 cups water or low-sodium broth
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach or kale
- juice of 2 small lemons
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- mineral salt & pepper, to taste
- In large dutch oven or pot, heat water/olive oil over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, onions and garlic, saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the green beans, tomatoes, potatoes, lentils, paprika, curry, cumin and liquids, give a good stir and bring to a boil, turn heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 – 35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the greens five minutes before the soup is done. Add more water if needed, maybe up to 1 cup. Add lemon juice and season with salt & pepper.
Store: Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for 4 – 5 days. store covered. To keep longer, store in the freezer in freezer safe containers for 2 – 3 months.
If using green lentils, they tend to take a little longer to cook, add another 5 – 10 minutes on the stovetop and 2 minutes in the Instant Pot.
For a different flavor profile, try substituting the cumin and curry for 1 teaspoon of thyme.
Instant Pot: Add the ingredients, except the greens and water/oil, to the bowl of your pressure cooker. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set the release valve to the SEALED position. Press the MANUAL button and set the timer at 15 minutes. Once finished, set valve to quick release or let it release pressure on it’s own (takes about 20 minutes). Remove lid, stir in the greens. Season with salt & pepper taste.
Slow Cooker: Add the ingredients, except the greens and water/oil, to the bowl of your crock pot. Cover with lid. Set on HIGH for 4 – 5 hours or LOW for 8 – 10 hours. Add greens, let them wilt. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
Keywords: lentil soup recipe, vegan lentil soup, vegetable lentil soup