Chickpea + Vegetable Pasta Salad features fresh chopped colored bell peppers, refreshing cucumber, juicy cherry tomatoes and protein rich chickpeas for a quick and healthy cold pasta salad!
I love recipes that are versatile and can be transformed into many things! This vegetable pasta salad recipe is inspired by my, Chopped Vegetable Salad + Garlic Dressing, which is simply colorful vegetables tossed together with a zesty lemon-garlic vinaigrette. From that same recipe, the Garden Quinoa Salad was born, but with quinoa and edamame.
Today, I have for you another spin on the original. I’ve taken the vegetables and dressing, and tossed them together with pasta and chickpeas. It’s light, filling and has just the right amount of dressing to give it zest and favor. It’s a classic vegetable pasta salad and I know you’re going to love it!
What I especially love about this cold pasta salad is its ease and casualness. I threw in a can of chickpeas for a little extra protein, edamame would work here too. The chickpeas were a perfect addition and added a little extra something special completing the ensemble, making this more than just a side dish.
This pasta salad recipe comes together fast and will be ready in under 30 minutes from start to finish. It makes a very large batch and is perfect for large family or work related gatherings. It’s also great for weekly meal prep!
It holds up extremely well and can be made a day or two in advance for parties, and can be stored for up to 5 days in the refrigerator for meal prep. If you do make it ahead, you might consider making a little extra dressing to toss it with just before serving. For dressing variation, try this Healthy Flax & Evo Balsamic Vinaigrette!
How To Make Vegetable Pasta Salad
1. Cook your pasta according to package, drain and set aside back in the pot you cooked it in.
2. While the pasta is cooking, prep the colorful veggies and drain and rinse the chickpeas.
3. Make the pasta salad dressing, in a small bowl add the garlic, lemon, olive oil, and dijon. Feel free to add and extra tablespoon of oil to the dressing if you like. I kept it at 1 tablespoon to reduce oil but 2 – 3 tablespoons wouldn’t hurt.
4. Add the veggies, chickpeas and dressing to the pasta, toss well and enjoy!
And that’s it, pasta salad made quick and easy! Serve this pasta salad at room temperature or chilled.
I hope you LOVE this pasta salad as much as I do! It’s:
- Quick and healthy
- Full of veggies
- Super flavorful
- Minimal ingredients
- Great for parties & meal prep
- & So delicious!
This made tons of pasta salad. I stored my leftovers in the fridge but they didn’t last long. In fact, it was gone the next day. So yes, I ate a whole pound of pasta + all these veggies, all to myself, in virtually 24 hours. And, it was good – very, very good!
If you try this easy pasta recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.
QUICK N’ HEALTHY CHICKPEA + VEGETABLE PASTA SALAD
A classic pasta salad with a garlic-lemon dressing. Chickpeas are added for extra protein, and because they are just so good! This will feed a crowd and can be made in advance.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: Serves 8
- Category: Salad, Pasta
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 16 oz. farfalle pasta
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 4 oz. cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 can (15 oz.) chickpeas (garbanzo beans )
Zesty Garlic Lemon Dressing
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- juice of 2 lemons (about 1/4 – 1/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 – 2 tablespoons olive oil
- mineral salt & fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Prep vegetables, drain and rinse chickpeas, and make dressing.
- Using either a large mixing or serving bowl, or pot the pasta was cook in, combine the pasta, veggies and dressing, toss well to coat.
Serve at room temperature or chilled in individual bowls with a squeeze of lemon and/or a light dusting of almond parmesan. Enjoy the simples!
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week. This is a great salad for a pot-luck or family/work gathering. Can be made a 1 – 2 days in advance.
Serves 6 – 8
Add extra zest and flavor using lemon-pepper or garlic-seal salt!
Add an extra can of chickpeas if you like. It will slightly up the protein amount and add more nutritional value overall.
Make this gluten-free by using gluten-free pastas of choice.
Keywords: pasta salad, vegan pasta salad