Light, healthy, and delicious this Chopped Vegetable Salad with fresh summer vegetables and zesty, lip smacking lemon-garlic dressing is simple, quick, and easily customizable!
This chunky summer vegetable salad is a lighter fare and a nice change from some of the heavier meals. Full on freshness is always welcome around here!
For this recipe we’ll be chopping up a few colorful veggies and tossing them with a zesty garlic dressing for a simple and delicious light salad.
Made as is it’s perfect as a side, lunch or dinner. You can easily customize it by tossing in cooked pasta or grain for a heartier salad.
The garlic dressing is what takes this chopped vegetable salad over the top. With its combination of citrus, dijon, pepper and garlic, it’s lip smacking good!
So without further ado, let’s get chopping and whisking!
Vegetable Salad Ingredients
In this recipe, summer vegetables are chopped and tossed with a delicious zesty lemon garlic dressing for a light and healthy salad.
Here is everything you will need, including substitutions:
- Cucumber. Use English, regular, or 2 – 3 Persian cucumbers.
- Bell peppers. Use 2 of your favorite colored bell peppers.
- Tomatoes. Use small tomatoes such as cherry or grape.
- Onion. Red onion adds a pop of color. Sub with 2 – 3 thinly sliced scallions.
- Garlic. I used fresh garlic, but for convenience minced jarred garlic works just as well.
- Lemon. Fresh squeezed is best and adds brightness to the dressing.
- Dijon. Switch it up with whole grain or yellow mustard if preferred.
- Oil. Use extra virgin olive oil, or your preferred neutral oil.
- Salt + pepper. If you have lemon pepper, it will add a nice touch of flavor.
How To Make Chopped Vegetable Salad
Here’s a quick look at the steps with a few photos for guidance. (Note, the full printable recipe card is below.)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, water and dijon. Mix until emulsified and combined. Stir in the lemon, garlic, salt and pepper. Taste for flavor.
- Chop, dice and slice your produce.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the vegetables and dressing, tossing to combine.
Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Now you’re ready to enjoy this light and healthy fare!
- Add a protein. Toss in chickpeas or edamame for a more rounded nutritional profile.
- Sprinkle in vegan cheese. Add in crumbled vegan feta for extra flavor and texture. My favorite is Violife.
- Add fresh herbs. Toss in a little fresh chopped herbs such as parsley, oregano, or dill.
Storing + Make Ahead
- Refrigerator: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 – 6 days in airtight containers.
- Make ahead: Chopped vegetable salad can be made a day in advance and stored in the refrigerator until ready to use. For the best presentation, I don’t recommend making more than 24 hours in advance.
- Meal prep: It’s also great for meal prep using a few of the suggestions below and storing in these multi-use glass containers (affiliate link).
Here are a few ideas for changing this vegetable salad to be more of a complete salad for a hearty meal.
- Leafy greens: Toss with arugula, baby kale or spinach.
- Protein: Toss in 1 cup of chickpeas or edamame for protein.
- Vegan Feta: Add a small handful of crumbled vegan feta, such as Violife.
- Grain: Serve with a grain such as quinoa or farro, or make this similar Garden Quinoa Salad.
- Pasta: Add in small pasta such as elbow, macaroni, bow ties, or orzo, or make this similar Chickpea + Vegetable Pasta Salad.
More Healthy Salads!
If you try this vegetable salad recipe or have a question, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
CHOPPED VEGETABLE SALAD
Keep it light and healthy with this chopped vegetable salad with fresh summer vegetables and zesty, lip smacking lemon-garlic dressing! It’s quick, easy and customizable.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: Serves 3 1x
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1 English cucumber (about 2 cups), chopped
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium orange bell pepper, chopped
- handful grape tomatoes, halved or quartered
- ¼ red onion, diced (or 2 – 3 scallions, sliced)
- 2 – 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 heaping tablespoon Dijon or stoneground mustard
- 1 – 2 tablespoons water
- himalayan salt, to taste
- fresh cracked pepper or lemon pepper, to taste
Dressing: In a small bowl combine the dressing ingredients and mix well, set aside.
Assemble salad: In a large bowl, add the cucumber, bell peppers, tomatoes and onion. Pour dressing over vegetables and toss gently to coat.
Chill: Chill in the refrigerator for a few hours or enjoy at room temperature.
Serve: Salad can be enjoyed as is, or served on a bed of leafy greens or whole grain pasta..
Serves 3 – 4
Store: Leftovers can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 5 – 6 days in an airtight container.
To make this a 100% alkalizing salad, squeeze lemon and add a sprinkle of cumin….or combine grated ginger and the juice of one orange…so fresh and good!
This salad is a great place to add a sprinkle of sunflower seeds or pepitas (pumpkin seeds).
Nutritional values are estimates only. See our full nutrition disclosure here.
Updated: Chopped Vegetable Salad was originally published in September 2012. It has been retested and updated with new photos and helpful tips in January 2021.