Quick and easy, this healthy Kale + Red Cabbage Slaw salad will add some freshness to your life! Includes a light dressing and added seeds for protein and crunch! Vegan, nut free and refined sugar free recipe.
Aah yes, I have a healthy slaw salad to share with you today. It’s a fresh, colorful recipe, and a much needed departure from all the cooked foods I’ve been devouring lately.
If you’re anything like me, you tend to eat more cooked foods in the fall and winter. It seems to be somewhat instinctual but a good fresh and hearty salad is a welcome change.
Kale slaw salad with cabbage features shredded kale, red cabbage, carrots and parsley tossed in a delicious dijon vinaigrette with a variety of seeds. Adapted from Martha Stewart, I had all the ingredients on hand and whipped it up within minutes.
This Kale & Cabbage Slaw is one of those salads that on the first bite may not seem so great, but after a few bites the deliciousness sets in. I ate the whole salad in one sitting, but this could serve 2 as well!
All in all, I would definitely make this again, so that says something. Now, go get out your biggest bowl and have yourself a nice big fat healthy kale salad!
Kale & Cabbage Slaw Salad Ingredients
- Tuscan Kale (aka, lacinato or dinosaur) – Full of vitamins and minerals kale is the king of the leafy greens!
- Red Cabbage – Bitter, with a peppery flavor red cabbage is colorful and loaded with antioxidants.
- Carrots – Adds crunch and sweetness. Use regular carrots, baby carrots, or for easy pre-shredded carrots are great.
- Red Onion – Great in salads, red onion is relatively mild in flavor and adds color.
- Parsley – One of my favorite herbs, parsley adds a bright flavor to this kale salad slaw.
- Hemp Hearts – Packed with omega’s and other nutrients, hemp hearts are the perfect healthy seed!
- Sunflower Seeds – I usually opt for raw sunflower seeds, but if you can’t find them toasted is fine too.
- Pepitas (pumpkin seeds) – Raw pepitas are preferred, but toasted is ok too.
- Olive Oil – I use a light flavored olive oil for almost everything, but feel free to use your favorite neutral flavored oil.
- Dijon – The distinct pungent flavor of dijon adds tang and a slight creaminess.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – The healthiest of all vinegars, apple cider is preferred, but you can opt to white wine vinegar or fresh lemon juice.
- Salt & Pepper – My favorite salt is pink mineral salt (affiliate link) which naturally contains essential minerals and trace elements the body needs. Season to taste with your favorite salt and pepper.
How To Make Kale Slaw with Red Cabbage
- Mix the dressing and prepare your vegetables.
- Add the veggies to a large mixing bowl, pour dressing over top and mix well to combine.
- Toss in the seeds and mix again, or sprinkle seeds over individual servings.
And that’s all there is to it. It’s a wonderfully clean and vibrant slaw salad that’s ready in about 10 minutes!
Tips For Kale & Cabbage Slaw Salad
- The dressing is light and not overly drowning, if you like lots of dressing I would suggest doubling the amount. I think next time I’ll replace the oil with tahini for creaminess.
- Heart healthy seeds like pumpkin, sunflower and hemp hearts add crunch while providing a good amount of protein and healthy omegas!
- To add a little sweetness, toss in 1/4 cup or so of dried cranberries, dried berry mix, golden or jumbo raisins.
- This recipe can easily be doubled and used to serve a crowd or for weekly meal prep.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Vegan Caesar Salad
- Everyday Detox Salad
- Apple, Beet, Carrot + Kale Salad
- Thai Crunch Salad + Peanut Dressing
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
- Radish and Cucumber Salad
If you try this kale & red cabbage salad recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
KALE + RED CABBAGE SLAW
Quick and easy, this Kale + Red Cabbage Slaw salad will add some freshness to your life! Includes a light dressing and added seeds for protein and crunch.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Total Time: 10 min
- Yield: Serves 2 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: Mix
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1 small bunch tuscan kale (aka, lacinato or dinosaur), thick stem removed and shredded
- 1/2 head small red cabbage, shredded
- 1 – 2 carrots, grated or julienned (or use quartered baby carrots)
- 1/3 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons hemp hearts
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- mineral salt & fresh cracked pepper to taste
In a small bowl, mix your dressing and set aside.
Prepare vegetables and place in large bowl, add dressing and toss to coat. Add in seeds and toss again (or sprinkle over each portion before serving). Let salad rest a few minutes before eating, this will help soften the kale a bit.
Serves 2 or one generously.
For a creamier dressing, replace the oil with tahini.
If you have fresh lemons on hand, this would be great with a big squeeze of lemon over top.
If serving for one, use 1 – 1 1/2 tablespoons each of the seeds.
Keywords: kale red cabbage slaw recipe
Updated: Kale & Red Cabbage Salad originally published December 2014 and has been updated November 2019 with new photos and helpful tips. No changes were made to the recipe and it’s still as good as ever. Enjoy!