Quick and easy, this healthy Kale Slaw with red cabbage can be eaten as a salad and will add some freshness to your life! Includes a light dressing and added seeds for protein and crunch! Vegan and nut-free recipe.
Why We Love This Recipe!
Today, I have a healthy slaw salad to share with you. It’s a fresh, colorful recipe and a much-needed departure from all the cooked foods I’ve been devouring lately.
If you’re anything like me, you tend to eat more cooked foods in the fall and winter. It seems to be somewhat instinctual, but a good fresh and hearty salad is a welcome change!
This fresh and crunchy slaw salad features shredded kale, red cabbage, carrots, and parsley tossed in a delicious dijon vinaigrette with a variety of seeds for crunch.
Adapted from Martha Stewart, I had all the ingredients on hand and whipped it up within minutes. I will definitely be making this again!
Now, go get out your biggest bowl and have yourself a healthy bowl of crunchy kale slaw!
Kale Slaw Ingredients
Here are a few key notes about the ingredients you’ll be using:
- Tuscan Kale (aka, lacinato or dinosaur) – Full of vitamins and minerals, kale is the king of the leafy greens! Feel free to use flat or curly kale for this recipe.
- Red Cabbage – Bitter with a peppery flavor, red cabbage is colorful and loaded with antioxidants. The recipe calls for 1/2 head, but use as much as you like.
- Carrots – Adds crunch and sweetness. Use regular carrots, baby carrots, or for easy pre-shredded carrots are great.
- Red Onion – Great in salads, red onion is relatively mild in flavor and adds color.
- Parsley – One of my favorite herbs, parsley adds a bright flavor to this kale salad slaw.
- Hemp Hearts – Packed with omega’s and other nutrients, hemp hearts are the perfect healthy seed!
- Sunflower Seeds – I usually opt for raw sunflower seeds, but if you can’t find them toasted is fine too.
- Pepitas (pumpkin seeds) – Raw pepitas are preferred, but toasted is ok too.
- Olive Oil – I use light-flavored olive oil for almost everything but feel free to use your favorite neutral-flavored oil. For oil-free, use water in place of oil.
- Dijon – The distinct pungent flavor of dijon adds tang and a slight creaminess.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – The healthiest of all vinegars, ACV, is preferred, but you can opt for white wine vinegar or fresh lemon juice.
- Salt & Pepper – My favorite salt is pink mineral salt (affiliate link) which naturally contains essential minerals and trace elements the body needs. Season to taste with your favorite salt and pepper.
How To Make Kale Slaw
Making kale slaw is easy as 1, 2, 3…
- Mix the dressing and prepare your vegetables.
- Add the veggies to a large mixing bowl, pour dressing over the top, and mix well to combine.
- Toss in the seeds and mix again, or sprinkle seeds over individual servings.
And that’s it – now you are ready to enjoy a wonderfully fresh and vibrant slaw that’s ready in about 10 minutes!
- The dressing is light and not overly drowning. If you prefer lots of dressing, I would suggest doubling the amount. For a creamy oil-free dressing, replace the oil with tahini.
- Heart-healthy seeds like pumpkin, sunflower, and hemp hearts add crunch while providing a good amount of protein and healthy omegas!
- To add a little sweetness, toss in 1/4 cup or so of dried cranberries, dried berry mix, and golden or jumbo raisins.
- This recipe can easily be doubled and used to serve a crowd or for weekly meal prep.
More Recipes You’ll Love!
- Vegan Caesar Salad
- Everyday Detox Salad
- Apple, Beet, Carrot + Kale Salad
- Thai Crunch Salad + Peanut Dressing
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
- Radish and Cucumber Salad
If you try this easy slaw recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
CRUNCHY RED CABBAGE + KALE SLAW
Quick and easy, this crunchy red cabbage + kale slaw will add some freshness to your life! Includes a light dressing and added seeds for protein and crunch.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: Serves 2
- Category: Salad
- Method: Mix
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1 small bunch tuscan kale (aka, lacinato or dinosaur), thick stem removed and shredded
- 1/2 head small red cabbage, shredded
- 1 – 2 carrots, grated or julienned (or use quartered baby carrots)
- 1/3 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons hemp hearts
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or tahini for creaminess)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- mineral salt & fresh cracked pepper to taste
In a small bowl, mix your dressing and set aside.
Prepare vegetables and place in a large bowl, add dressing, and toss to coat. Add in seeds and toss again (or sprinkle over each portion before serving). Let the salad rest for a few minutes before eating. This will help soften the kale a bit.
Serves two or one generously.
Store: Keep leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Give a good toss before serving.
For a creamier dressing, replace the oil with tahini.
If you have fresh lemons on hand, this would be great with a big squeeze of lemon over the top.
If serving for one, use 1 – 1 1/2 tablespoons of each of the seeds.
Keywords: kale slaw, red cabbage slaw, slaw recipe
Updated: Kale Slaw originally published December 2014 and has been updated November 2019 with new photos and helpful tips. No changes were made to the recipe, and it’s still as good as ever. Enjoy!