Mini Chickpea Flour Frittatas feature gluten-free chickpea flour, bell pepper, corn, baby spinach, onion and herbs for an easy and delicious, healthy vegan breakfast or snack!
These vegan, mini chickpea flour frittata muffins have been my obsession lately!
You may also know them as – mini crustless chickpea quiche, chickpea omelette muffin, vegan egg muffins or savory chickpea flour muffins. Whatever you want to call them, I call them easy, healthy and delicious!
In place of eggs traditionally used in frittatas, we’ll be using the ever wonderful chickpea flour as the base for this vegan frittata muffin recipe.
Of course, this veganized version will not be exactly the same, but they do bake up light, tender and are filled with wholesome goodness. You may have to taste test it with my other Vegetable Frittata using tofu as the base!
A few other reasons these savory chickpea muffins are pretty awesome!
This chickpea flour frittata recipe is a perfect meal prep idea for healthy to-go meals throughout the week. They are small, pack well and can be reheated in the toaster oven or microwave.
Ingredients You’ll Need
In this recipe, a batter is made with chickpea flour, an assortment of vegetables and herbs then baked until tender, creating a delicious savory chickpea muffin frittata that’s perfect anytime of day.
Here is everything you will need:
- chickpea flour
- red bell pepper
- corn – fresh, frozen or canned (I used frozen)
- baby kale or spinach – I used baby kale
- dried basil – thyme or tarragon would be great too!
- garlic powder
- mineral salt or black salt (don’t skimp on the salt) – black salt (affiliate link), aka, kala namak, will add the distinctive sulphur flavor eggs are known for
- freshly cracked pepper
- nutritional yeast, optional for an extra savory, cheesy flavor
Feel free to change-up the veggies, using at least 3 cups. Use an assortment of diced zucchini, mushrooms, peas, green bell peppers, finely chopped broccoli or carrots. Fresh herbs would be great too!
How To Make Chickpea Flour Muffins
- Mix the batter (batter will be runny, not thick), add the veggies and mix again.
- Using a 1/4 measuring cup, scoop the batter and fill each of the 12 holes in the muffin tin.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes.
- Pull from the oven, turn muffins out and let rest on a cooling rack.
How To Store Leftovers
- Refrigerator: Store cooled chickpea muffins in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Reheat: These muffins are fantastic reheated in the toaster oven or microwave.
These savory chickpea flour frittatas are great alone, but are even better with a little something on the side. Here are a few of my favorite options:
- Serve with Breakfast Potatoes or Yukon Gold & Sweet Potato Home Fries for a hearty breakfast.
- Serve with this hearty Potato + Chickpea + Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash.
- Pair with sliced avocado and a drizzle of sriracha.
- Serve with Savory Sauteed Kale, Vegan Collard Greens, or Skillet Asparagus + Tomato Medley.
More Chickpea Flour Recipes
Chickpea flour is so versatile and easy to work with, try these other recipes using chickpea flour for variation.
If you try this chickpea frittata muffins recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
MINI CHICKPEA FLOUR FRITTATAS (VEGAN)
Veggie filled and super easy to make, these chickpea flour frittatas are great anytime of day. Great for meal prep!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Breakfast, Snack
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1 3/4 cups chickpea flour (aka, garbanzo bean flour, gram flour)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast, optional
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon mineral salt or black salt (see notes)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup corn (frozen, fresh, or canned)
- 1 large red bell pepper (1 cup), finely diced
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced
- 1/4 red onion or medium shallot, finely diced
- handful of baby kale or spinach, roughly chopped
- chives, to garnish (optional)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. If not using a non-stick muffin tin, lightly grease with oil (see notes).
Mix: In a large mixing bowl, combine the chickpea flour, optional nutritional yeast, baking powder, salt, garlic powder and basil. Whisk in the water (batter will be runny, but that’s normal). Add the corn, bell pepper, jalapeno, onion and baby greens, mix to combine.
Scoop: Using a 1/4 measuring cup, scoop the batter into the muffin tin, filling all 12 holes. Top with a sprinkle of chives.
Bake: Place in the oven, on the center rack, and bake for 35 minutes (some have had to bake for up to 50 min). Do the toothpick test, by sticking it in the center of a muffin, if it comes clean, frittatas are ready. If cooking for the 35 minutes and the center seems soggy, let them cool and they will stiffen up nicely.
Remove from oven, turn out frittatas and place on cooling rack to cool.
Store: Leftovers can be stored, covered, in the refrigerator or on the counter. Reheat in a toaster oven or microwave.
If using black salt, use about 1/2 teaspoon, and the other 1/2 teaspoon regular mineral salt. Too much black salt may be overpowering.
Feel free to change up the veggies, using at least 3 cups. Use an assortment of diced zucchini, mushrooms, peas, green bell peppers, finely chopped broccoli or carrots. Fresh herbs would be great too!
Muffin tin. If not using a non-stick muffin tin, lightly grease each muffin hole. If using non-stick, the frittatas will fall out when turned over. You may need to gently tap the tin, upside down, gently on a hard surface to release them.
What If my muffins don’t cook all the way through? There have been a few comments regarding the muffins being soggy in the center. If this is your experience, let them cool completely before eating. The center will thicken and your muffins will be perfect. I’ve personally never had an issue with a soggy center, but I know from experience from my other baked goods that letting it cool will do the trick
Nutritional facts include the optional 1/4 cup nutritional yeast.