SAVORY CHICKPEA PANCAKE – FLATBREAD (GF)
Chickpea Pancake – Gluten free, healthy and filling, this veggie filled chickpea flour pancake is savory, delicious and perfect anytime of day!
The chickpea pancake, aka chickpea omelette or Socca, is a great way to enjoy a savory and filling pancake any time of day!
Chickpea flour contains 110 calories per 1/4 cup of flour and boosts 6 grams of protein while offering 5 grams of fiber. One of these pancakes uses 1/3 cup flour so you’re getting 9 grams of protein and about 7 grams of fiber per serving. Not bad at all!
Gluten and grain free, chickpea pancakes are one of those great vegan dishes that will stay with you. Filled with vegetables and spices of your choice, it will leave you satisfied and ready to tackle your day!
Eat your chickpea flour pancake with a fork or pull it apart like flatbread. I especially love eating my mine with hummus, either spread on top or pulling it apart for dipping. And a little sriracha never hurts either!
Ingredients You’ll Need
In this recipe, chickpea flour is mixed with spices, leavening agent, lemon and veggies, creating a wonderfully filling gluten free savory chickpea pancake to enjoy any time of day!
Here is everything you will need:
- Chickpea flour – (aka, besan, gram, chana, garbanzo bean or cici flour), and is a great source of protein and fiber.
- Garlic powder
- Baking soda – you can do without this if you like
Fill your pancake with whatever you have handy or plan on picking up some special ingredients to make this extra special for yourself, friends and family.
Mix and match any of these ingredients:
- Greens – Kale, spinach, arugula, chard, dandelions, parsley or cilantro.
- Veggies (slice, dice or grate any of the following) – Scallions, onion, shallots, garlic, tomatoes or sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms, zucchini, bell peppers, carrots, jalapenos, asparagus, broccoli, peas, green chilies, and more.
- Spices – Garam masala, cayenne, garlic powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, thyme, nutritional yeast, cracked pepper, curry, coriander, ground chipotle, summer savory, and more.
- Toppings – Hummus, salsa, avocado, harissa, sweet chili sauce or hot sauce all come to mind.
I’m sure you will come up with some great versions of this chickpea pancake!
How To Make Savory Chickpea Pancake
- Combine the flour, water, baking soda, optional turmeric, cumin, garlic powder and salt to taste in a mixing bowl. Mix well making sure all the flour lumps are gone.
- Add in the lemon and stir, you’ll notice the batter rise and foam a bit, this is normal.
- Add in the veggies and combine thoroughly.
- Pour 1/2 of the mixture onto preheated skillet or griddle (I recommend using a griddle for ease).
- Cook for 5 minutes, flip and cook another 5 – 7 minutes, making sure the batter cooks throughout.
And now your chickpea pancake is ready to enjoy!
How To Store Leftovers
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, in a covered container. Reheat in the toaster oven or microwave.
Serve with your choice of condiments and topping. Here are few of my favorite options:
- Add a dollop of Avocado Hummus, Classic Hummus or Simple White Bean Hummus.
- Top with a drizzle of sriracha, Sriracha Cashew Cream or pinch of red pepper flakes for a dose of heat.
- Serve with sliced avocado for creaminess.
- Top with chopped fresh herbs like cilantro, parsley or chives.
- Serve with this simple Tofu Scramble and/or Breakfast Potatoes.
- Pair fresh fruits like grapes, berries or this Cherry-Berry Fruit Salad.
More Ways To Use Chickpeas
- Socca (Simple Flatbread)
- Favorite Hummus
- Mini Chickpea Flour Frittatas
- Balela Salad
- Quick & Easy Chickpea Tacos
If you try this savory chickpea pancake recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
SAVORY CHICKPEA PANCAKE (GF)
Gluten free, healthy and filling, this delicious savory chickpea pancake is perfect anytime of day. Filled with veggies of choice, all you need is one!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: Serves 2
- Category: Breakfast, Brunch, Entree
- Method: griddle
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 2/3 cup chickpea flour (aka garbanzo bean or besan)
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 heaping teaspoon baking soda (can be optional)
- pinch of turmeric (will give it a yellow color), optional
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- mineral salt, to taste
- juice of 1/2 small lemon or 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup greens (kale or spinach), julienned and loosely packed
- small handful mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 shallot, finely diced
- 7 grape tomatoes, halved or quartered depending on the size
Preheat griddle on medium.
Mix: In a medium size bowl, combine flour, water, baking soda, optional turmeric, cumin, garlic powder and salt to taste. Mix well ensuring all the flour lumps are gone. Add in lemon, stir and you will notice the batter rise and foam a bit. Add in veggies and combine thoroughly. (Note: I don’t really measure the vegetables, so this is an approximation)
Cook: Pour 1/2 of the mixture onto the preheated griddle or skillet. You can use your spatula to move the veggies around and flatten as needed if they are piled up in areas. Also you can help make your pancake round by gently pushing in the edges where needed. There may be times when it appears that you have more veggies than batter, don’t panic….in a few minutes the batter will puff up from the baking soda and fill in making it look fluffy and full. Let cook for 5 minutes. Flip and cook another 5 – 7 minutes, making sure the batter cooks throughout.
Serve with your choice of condiments. A thinned hummus would also be great! Pairs well with fresh fruit on the side.
Makes 2 pancakes
Store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, in a covered container. Reheat in the toaster oven or microwave.
Try mixing and matching any of the following…
- Greens – kale, spinach, arugula, chard, dandelions, parsley or cilantro.
- Other veggies (slice, dice or grate any of the following) – scallions, onion, shallots, garlic, tomatoes or sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms, zucchini, bell peppers, carrots, jalapenos, asparagus, broccoli, peas, green chilies, etc…
- Spices – garam masala, cayenne, garlic powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, thyme, nutritional yeast, cracked pepper, curry, coriander, ground chipotle, summer savory, etc…
- Toppings – hummus, salsa, avocado, harissa, sweet chili sauce or hot sauce all come to mind.
Keywords: chickpea pancake, savory chickpea pancake, chickpea pancake recipe
Updated: Savory Chickpea Pancake was originally published in May 2013. It has been retested and updated with new photos and helpful tips in February 2020. Recipe has stayed the same and is still delicious!
FOLLOW TSV on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest or RSS for more updates and inspiration!
Hi do you need to pre fry the fillings? Ie mushrooms capsicums onions
No need to cook the veggies beforehand, they will cook in the flatbread. Enjoy!
This recipe was amazing! I added chopped spinach, mushrooms and red pepper and avocado and micro greens salad on the side!
I tried to do a sweet version of this just 1:1 w baking soda and it was way too salty!
So simple and delicious! I love a savoury breakfast. Thank you for the recipe!