Potato, Leek + White Bean Soup
This vegan Potato, Leek & White Bean Soup is brimming with hearty vegetables and protein-rich beans. Requiring only a few simple ingredients, it’s a delicious blend of flavors and is ready in about 30 minutes!
I love making soups during the hustle and bustle of the holiday season. They’re just so easy to throw together, making life so much easier!
And when it’s time to clean out the fridge, I can almost always pull something together with a few stocked canned goods.
So in comes this crazy good vegan soup loaded with leeks, potatoes & white beans. It’s low fat, gluten free, well balanced, and has an oil free option. All that, and it tastes delicious!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Here’s everything you’ll need, plus a few tips and variations on substituting ingredients:
- Yukon gold potatoes – My preferred potato to use would be Yukon gold, red or white, but russet would be ok too. I used gold potatoes here.
- Leeks – Be sure to clean the leeks before using. If you prefer, a medium diced onion is ok too.
- Olive oil – Use a good olive oil. To make this oil-free use water when sauteeing.
- Tarragon & savory or herbes de Provence – I’ve made this soup a few times and found that I love tarragon as my herb, along with savory. But don’t worry, if you don’t have either of these two herbs on hand, thyme or herbs de provence will work great.
- Red pepper flakes – Adds a nice touch of heat.
- Cannellini beans – I would stick with cannellini or great northern, but chickpeas (garbanzo beans) would be great too.
- Vegetable broth – Use low-sodium, or combo of vegetable broth and water.
- Mineral salt & fresh cracked pepper – Season to taste.
- Parsley – A perfect finishing touch, adding color and brightness with it’s fresh flavor.
So gather your ingredients and get ready for a simple and flavorful soup to keep you warm and feeling your best any time of year!
How To Make Potato, Leek & White Bean Soup
- Slice and rinse leeks well to remove any dirt and debris.
- Wash and cube the potatoes.
- Sauté the leeks for 7 minutes, add spices and cook a minute more.
- Add the remaining ingredients, as shown above, and cook until potatoes are fork tender, about 15 – 20 minutes (shown below).
And voila, soups on – it’s that easy!
If you manage to have leftovers, the flavors get even better. Also, the soup will thicken a bit after a couple of hours from the potatoes which is nice.
Serve with fresh chopped parsley. And to soak up the juices, serve with your favorite crusty artisan bread, soft and chewy vegan naan, or this easy gluten-free Socca Flatbread.
How Long Will Leftovers Keep?
Leftovers will keep for 5 – 6 days in the refrigerator, stored in a covered container. Simply re-warm on the stovetop or the microwave. It makes a great meal prep for the week with homemade no knead bread or Naan on the side for soaking up the juices.
Can You Freeze Potato Leek Soup?
Yes, it freezes beautifully for up to 2 months! To freeze, let cool completely and store in freezer safe containers (affiliate link), leaving 1/2 inch headspace for expansion. Let thaw before reheating. You can also freeze larger portions in large ziplock bags or containers.
How To Reheat
Simply re-warm on the stovetop over low heat until warmed through. Alternately, reheat in the microwave using 30-second intervals, stirring after each, until warm.
More Easy Soup Recipes!
- Kale, Quinoa & White Bean Soup
- A Very Good Split Pea Soup
- Rustic Cabbage, Potato & White Bean Soup
- Vegan Minestrone Soup
- See all the vegan soup recipes on TSV!
If you try this vegan soup recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
POTATO + LEEK + WHITE BEAN SOUP
A minimal ingredient soup with lots of flavor and heartiness! Recipe is well-balanced and ready in 30 minutes.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4 – 6 1x
- Category: Soup, Entree
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 2 1/2 lbs. yukon gold potatoes, cubed 1/2 inch
- 2 medium/large leeks, sliced and dirt removed (white & pale green parts only)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1/4 cup water (water saute)
- 3/4 teaspoon each dried tarragon & savory or 1 1/2 teaspoons herbes de provence or thyme
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 3 cups cooked or 2 cans (15 oz.) cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- mineral salt & fresh cracked pepper to taste
- fresh parsley, to garnish
In a large pot or dutch oven, heat oil/water over medium-high. Add leeks and saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Add in herbs and spices, cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add in potatoes, beans, broth and salt & pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender. Let cool a few minutes before serving.
Serve topped with fresh chopped parsley. Great with your favorite crusty no knead bread or this easy gluten-free Socca Flatbread to soak up the juices!
Serves 4 – 6
You can change up the herbs here with what you have on hand. I really love the tarragon and savory here but starter cooks may not have them on hand so the herbs de provence and thyme will be great too!
Here is a simple guide to slicing and cleaning leeks: How To Clean Leeks
FOLLOW TSV on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, or RSS for more updates and inspiration!
Just made this, very tasty.
Hope crap this was amazing! I added smoked kielbasa to add a protein and used Herbs de Provence since that’s what my grocery store had. Easily one of my favorite soups and will go into the regular rotation.