This Smashed Chickpea and Avocado Salad is made with hearty chickpeas, creamy avocado, crunchy carrot. It’s a quick, easy, and healthy salad perfect as a sandwich filler or scooped up with crackers!
Chickpeas and avocados are a winning combination here. Add in a few other key ingredients and it’s a sandwich made in heaven. Filling and inexpensive, this smashed chickpea and avocado salad sandwich is the BEST!
I love my chickpea salads and have quite a few of them in the recipe collection. And for good reason, as they are easy, healthy and filling.
Not in the mood for bread? Try serving this chickpea avocado salad over a bed of leafy greens instead, or scoop it up with crackers or wide red bell pepper slices. Either way I know you’re going to love it!
Ingredients You’ll Need
This quick and easy, healthy recipe requires just a few simple ingredients!
Here is everything you’ll need:
- chickpeas – use canned or fresh cooked
- avocado – if avocados are on the smaller side, you may need two
- carrot – I added these for color and texture, but they can be optional
- lemon – adds brightness and will help the avocado from oxidizing (turning brown)
- garlic powder
- salt + pepper
How To Make Chickpea Avocado Salad
Making this chickpea avocado mash is so easy and ready in minutes! You can find the full printable instructions in the recipe card below.
- Mash the chickpeas. Roughly mash the chickpeas with the back of a strong fork, potato masher or pastry blender. The better you mash them, the better they will hold together.
- Add remaining ingredients. Add avocado, carrots, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt and pepper (shown above).
- Mash and mix to combine. As you can see above, it’s mashed and ready to use.
Simple and delicious – mash your way to a healthy sandwich filler. It’s a classic!
How To Store
- Refrigerator: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 – 3 days, in a tightly covered container. Give a good stir before serving.
- Freezer: Freezing is not recommended. It’s best to make a batch as needed.
- Sandwich: Build sandwiches with homemade Artisan Bread or bread of choice, fresh leafy greens, sliced red onions (tomatoes would be great too).
- Wraps: Make fresh lettuce wraps using romaine, bibb, butter, chard, collards, or other large leafy greens. Alternatively, this salad would be great in tortilla wraps.
- Salad: Chop up leafy greens or use packaged spinach, spring mix or baby kale as a bed, top with a serving of chickpea avocado salad.
- Dip: Serve it as a dip, scooping up with fresh veggies slices (cucumbers, bell peppers, carrots, celery, etc.), and/or crackers, pita chips or tortillas.
More Chickpea Salad Recipes
- Cranberry Walnut Vegan ‘Chicken’ Salad
- Mediterranean Smashed Chickpea Salad
- Classic Mashed Chickpea Salad
- Curried Chickpea Salad
If you try this healthy salad recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
CHICKPEA AVOCADO SALAD SANDWICH
I like to mash! Do you? This quick and healthy chickpea avocado salad is versatile and be used as a sandwich filler scooped up with vegetables for a gluten-free option.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Total Time: 10 min
- Yield: Serves 3 1x
- Category: Entree
- Method: mash, mix
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas or 1 can (15 oz.), drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado, flesh only
- 1 small carrot (about 1/4 cup), finely diced
- juice of 1 lemon
- dash or two of garlic powder
- salt + pepper, to taste
- leafy greens
- 6 slices whole grain bread, or your favorite
- red onion slices
- sliced tomatoes, optional
Mash chickpeas: In a medium size bowl, add chickpeas and roughly mash 3/4 of the chickpeas with the back of a strong fork. You can also use a potato masher or pastry blender.
Add remaining ingredients. Add avocado, carrots, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt and pepper, mash and mix to combine.
Assemble sandwich: Layer your bread slices with leafy greens, onion and a nice helping of the mash. Top with remaining slice and enjoy!
Store: Leftovers can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 2 – 3 days.
Sliced tomato would pair nicely in the sandwich.
Try adding a small handful of pepitas (pumpkin seeds) or sunflower seeds to the mash for extra nutrition and crunchiness.
If needed, add a dollop of hummus, it pairs well and will act as a binder.
Looking to keep the carbs to a minimum? Try layering on romaine, bibb lettuce, collard or chard leaves. Alternately, make bell pepper scoops by slicing them wide and/or scoop up with your favorite crackers.
Nutritional values are estimates only. See our full nutrition disclosure here.
Keywords: chickpea avocado salad
Updated: Chickpea Avocado Salad was originally published in January 2015. It has been retested and updated with new photos and helpful tips in June 2020.